No announcement yet.

biggest financial fight this year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biggest financial fight this year?

I'm curious to know what is the biggest financial fight this year from a projected earnings perspective.

I know we used to base it off PPV buys but obviously there are new models and a lot of big fights in Europe seem to be doing big revenue.

I was gobsmacked to find out that the GGG vs Jacobs fight was sold to 100 countries (due to GGG big following in Asia) and I know the German shows on FTA used to get 10s of millions of viewers (so those rights must have been worth heaps).

So thus far would it be safe to assume the following are the biggest fights of the year financially?

1. AJ vs Wlad
    2. Canelo vs Chavez Jr
    3. GGG vs Jacobs
    4. Haye vs Bellew
    5. Ward vs Kovalev II

I'd love if anybody could break down how earnings are calculated.

I've not got the time or honestly the facts/knowledge to give you the financial background on their earnings etc. But I feel on the face of it AJ vs Wlad will be the biggest financially.

Comment

Originally posted by moochi View Post
      I'm curious to know what is the biggest financial fight this year from a projected earnings perspective.

I know we used to base it off PPV buys but obviously there are new models and a lot of big fights in Europe seem to be doing big revenue.

I was gobsmacked to find out that the GGG vs Jacobs fight was sold to 100 countries (due to GGG big following in Asia) and I know the German shows on FTA used to get 10s of millions of viewers (so those rights must have been worth heaps).

So thus far would it be safe to assume the following are the biggest fights of the year financially?

1. AJ vs Wlad
      2. Canelo vs Chavez Jr
      3. GGG vs Jacobs
      4. Haye vs Bellew
      5. Ward vs Kovalev II

I'd love if anybody could break down how earnings are calculated.
      I think the bulk of the earnings are always from the PPV buys. Selling to a bunch of countries so they can throw on free TV usually seems to max out at a relatively low $ amount despite it sounding impressive that whatever fight is being shown in x number of countries. I believe Floyd vs Manny "only" made $30M-$35M from international rights & that was a half a billion dollar revenue fight. Most PPV's in PPV boxing history aren't doing a 10th of that revenue so I'd be surprised to learn they get a 10th of the amount for international revenue very often. But sure any revenue is good revenue.

And its worth noting that there are different levels of advertising used which we can only ever speculate on too that never gets talked about much. So just like with movies there are likely situations where the $30M budget film that made $100M at the box office was a better investment than the $100M budget film that made $150M at the box office.

As for your top 5 I'd probably drop Ward vs Kolavev &/or Bellew vs Haye cuz I suspect Manny vs Horn does better PPV numbers even in Manny's decline & for sure Canelo vs TBA in Sept. will surpass them too.

And if Floyd vs Conor actually does happen, I don't think it does, its for sure the #1 fight of the year financially...although I suppose that's obvious.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I wonder what HBO and Showtime would be paying for the rights to this weekend fight.

Comment

Originally posted by moochi View Post
          Thanks for that.

I wonder what HBO and Showtime would be paying for the rights to this weekend fight.
          I think I read $3million between them

Comment

I'm not looking indepth into the finances because I don't give a **** about that BUT I'm like 80% sure a big heavyweight clash like Aj/Wlad is not going to be superceded by two fat Mexicans duking it out or Kov/Ward 2.

Comment

So far and I think it's probably going to stay this way for the rest of the year. The most successful financial fight is Joshua-Klitschko.

Their PPV is going to do big numbers. Showtime and HBO both paid I believe $3 million each to broadcast the fight.

And..........

90,000 tickets sold and ringside tickets still going at the moment for $50,000 a ticket and rising. That is crazy. Only Bill Gates can afford that.
              Last edited by The Time; 04-25-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Interesting times. So most probably Aj vs Wlad will double or triple the next fight.

Bring on AJ vs Wilder then.. Hell even AJ vs Fury would be huge.... But sorry to say, I'm picking Wlad to beat AJ.

Comment

If Canelo-Chavez Jnr does stupid numbers ad I'm talking about more than 1 millions buys which is unlikely then it's hard to see Wlad-Joshua grossing more than that which will clear $60-70 million at 1 million buys. T-Mobile Arena like Wembley is sold out but it's clearly the smaller arena but will be interesting to see how it all goes.

On paper, you'd have to back Wlad-Joshua as the biggest money-making fight of the year moochi

Comment

BARB reports that Haye vs Bellew sold 1.4m PPVs, which is the most in British history and I suspect more than AJ vs Wlad will manage (though AJ vs Wlad will have a much higher gate and the PPV is slightly more expensive)

Edit: Actually, BARB reports views or viewers, which must be quite different to buys. It's still the highest rated Sky Box Office event they have recorded though
                    Last edited by NEETzsche; 04-26-2017, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X