No announcement yet.

Going down a weightclass

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    What you have to consider is that during all of the time that you are fasting you will be training on an empty tank, know what I mean. That means that you will also not be building muscle, only draining. You may make your weight but you will most likely be feeling empty inside as you bounce in your corner awaiting the bell.

I had my own vision quest for my 6th bout ever. I had seen a movie called Vision Quest, where this highschool wrestler busts his ass, drops weight, and takes on the best out there type of thing.

So for the upcoming Junior Olympics I dropped to 119 to fight in the same division/weight class as the defending national champion Tarrick Salmaci.

I made the weight but felt empty for the opening bell. We got straight matched in the 1st round of the tourney. He was obviously on the top of the list and me having only 5 fights was at the bottom of the list so we were matched up.

We fought, I didn't get hurt, but lost a close decision. My confidence level burst off of the charts and that's when I saw that I belonged. From there on out I fought anybody. You could lose the battle dropping weight but you could very well win the war. Or you could get KTFO, it could happen in this sport.

It is entirely your choice...…….Rockin'
    Haa yeah that was awesome! Maybe I'll have my own vision quest one year. Only one way to find out whats going to happen and I'll find out March 30th haa.

Hoping it'll be a good move down, def going to have to be a bit more strict with the diet.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      Haa yeah that was awesome! Maybe I'll have my own vision quest one year. Only one way to find out whats going to happen and I'll find out March 30th haa.

Hoping it'll be a good move down, def going to have to be a bit more strict with the diet.
      It won't be easy. But if you set your mind straight and on target you'll be fine. (or you could get KTFO, this is boxing after all) Watch that movie..…..Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 02-14-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Do not dry out during this training. You muscles/mind need water in a big way. If you have to than do it right before you're weighing in. Also, weigh yourself before you go to bed tonight and weigh yourself right after you wake up. Remember those weights........Rockin'

Comment

It won't be easy. But if you set your mind straight and on target you'll be fine. (or you could get KTFO, this is boxing after all) Watch that movie..…..Rockin'
          Haa that's very true. Hoping to avoid that. Will be a bit different, as lighter classes should theoretically have more speed.

Will definitely check that movie out though.

Do not dry out during this training. You muscles/mind need water in a big way. If you have to than do it right before you're weighing in. Also, weigh yourself before you go to bed tonight and weigh yourself right after you wake up. Remember those weights........Rockin'
          I've been keeping track every morning. Definitely don't want to dry out, and really don't want to lose any muscle if possible. Trying to lose it all in body fat.

Lifting just to maintain my current muscle mass and strength, without adding more mass while cutting hopefully.

Comment

You likely will not loose muscle until your fat is well below 8% for extended period. The body will only turn to burning muscle as a last resort, basically when there is no more fat left to burn. Body burns carbs first, then glucose/glycogen stored in the liver and muscles, then fat, then muscle itself. You basically have to be out of fat for this to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
              You likely will not loose muscle until your fat is well below 8% for extended period. The body will only turn to burning muscle as a last resort, basically when there is no more fat left to burn. Body burns carbs first, then glucose/glycogen stored in the liver and muscles, then fat, then muscle itself. You basically have to be out of fat for this to happen.
              Good to know.

Currently lifting twice a week, not going up in weight at all. I also don't lift like most normal people. I only do supersets a weighted exercise paired with a bodyweight plyometric exercise. Basically cycle through the whole workout without any rest.

Will go down to lifting once a week in a few weeks and then eventually won't lift anymore a 2-3 weeks before the tournament. If my weight is falling off as fast then may adjust the schedule accordingly.

Going to add in extra boxing sessions as I get a bit closer.

Comment

Based on my last physical 5'8 3/4" so like 5'9"

Yeah before I was intermittent fasting, but would eat more calories than I am now in a shorter eating window. I found that adding the oatmeal for breakfast everyday actually starting causing me to lose weight without changing my diet or exercise schedule. I think the complex carbohydrates with the protein keeps my metabolism high and working throughout the day.

I've just seen some research that says you need to increase your protein intake in order to keep the muscle mass on when dropping weight, and since its unflavored and has no additives (just pure grass fed whey), then the calories are also low while giving me the increase in protein. So theoretically it shouldn't help me keep or add weight.

Lowest I've weighed is probably around 140 ishlbs since over age 16. At one point in college I got fairly thin again for a while before I started lifting again.
                A similar height to me then. You should be a perfectly strong super welterweight at 5 foot 9 and 152lbs.

Comment

Good to know.

Currently lifting twice a week, not going up in weight at all. I also don't lift like most normal people. I only do supersets a weighted exercise paired with a bodyweight plyometric exercise. Basically cycle through the whole workout without any rest.

Will go down to lifting once a week in a few weeks and then eventually won't lift anymore a 2-3 weeks before the tournament. If my weight is falling off as fast then may adjust the schedule accordingly.

Going to add in extra boxing sessions as I get a bit closer.
                  what have your weigh-ins come in at? …...Rockin'

Comment

what have your weigh-ins come in at? …...Rockin'
                    For sanctioned events I was weighing in at 163 fully clothed with shoes on.

Yesterday I weighed in at 156.5 in the morning and 160 at night.

Comment

I fu#kin hate making weight. It’s depressing even. I walk around 150 or so. The weight I should be at is 141 and that’s still too hard. I still wish they had the 147 weight class for novice, but they got rid of that a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X