No announcement yet.

Are Champions born or made?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

made.

some qualities you are born with, talent especially but most things come along the way.

even such a thing as heart and determination is usually from things you have experienced in life, probably between birth and starting boxing. something happens that creates the will to be a fighter. then ofcourse your skills, boxing IQ etc are made in the gym.

so a little bit of both, but made more than born.

Comment

I can remember watching Mike Tyson sitting talking about the greats as he watched tape of Johnson, Louis ect... "And he said I used to think these guys were just born like that, to be great" (or something to that extent) He then went on to say its hard work and dedication that get the results

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
        Thats where our opinions differ. It's like with chess players. They can play several games of chess blindfolded and remember every move and every piece on the board.
        Are they born with extraordinary work memory? No. Other things like digits, and placement of various things they often score very slightly above average.

With that said, not everyone will develop the same sense for boxing like the next. There are probably some genetic makeup but even more so is style you fight, experience and training methods.

Tiger Woods is actually a very good example of an athlete who is almost entirely created.
        His father was a very mediocre golfer, but a very good teacher. He decided to learn what needed to be done to build an expert golfer, and once Tiger was born the process started.

I'm sure it was the same with Floyd SR and JR. SR knew exactly how Floyd should be molded into what he currently is, and he began the process at a very early age.
        The work ethic floyd jr shows is probably in part due to him being abused and forced by his father. This could be the reason their relationship is very strained.

Not everyone will become a champ and certainly not an ATG. But theres alot of various strengths and "talents" that can be used to build an elite fighter combined with great and deliberate practice. Just look at the various great fighters in history. Some traits remain the same among many of them, but it's also a high degree of variety in their strengths, personas and athletic ability.
        You can make a lot of genetical composition work.

As for the argument that theres clubfighters who have worked hard their entire life, and haven't gotten anywhere, well, thats probably part true and part exaggeration.
        Did they work as hard as floyd? probably not. did they get as good instruction and repetitive work as floyd? certainly not.

It's not just about showing up to practice. You need deliberate practice and the ability to correct the slightest of mistakes. You need to be extremely focused, and not just go through the motions.

Sorry for the wall of text guys. I went off on a rant there, but I'm too stubborn not to press submit. Read it and agree/disagree or just skip it. It's mostly fluff.

I'll try to save the post by posting a video that may motivate some people. I watch it every day and it makes me work harder in life.

Have you ever been to the ring?

Comment

You are born with talent. As this subject can't be meassured, we'll never agree. But from my studying, reading and OWN experience from a ton of amateur fights, I base my oppinion.

Comment

It is obvious certain people have more talent and others, but what about heart and will?

If you are what is termed "extremely talented", just for example, what is it if you get hit with a hard shot and you can't take it? More so if you want to be a top boxer and you face extremely hard punchers.

Comment

It is obvious certain people have more talent and others, but what about heart and will?

If you are what is termed "extremely talented", just for example, what is it if you get hit with a hard shot and you can't take it? More so if you want to be a top boxer and you face extremely hard punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post

the chin is certainly a talent based phenomenon. you cant improve it in the gym. you can get used to getting hit
                you can improve your defense. you take better punches as you mature from boy to man until you start to decline (canelo will NOT get knocked around by jose cotto if they fight next. when he was 19 he had trouble taking his punches because he wasnt fully developed.)

some guys were born with the ability to take a better punch

taking off your gloves and going home because you dont like the heat in the kitchen is a different thing entirely, but the ability to remain conscious after sustaining head trauma is something that is largely talent based and brought into the sport.
                Last edited by New England; 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I think it takes both. I think whats most important as far as natural ability is more mental than physical. I do believe the right mind set combined with the right training can make a champ. Composure is the characteristic of just about every champion to date. Atleast the ones who stood the test of time. Even an irratic guy like Tyson was able to control his emotions enough to work his gameplan.

Comment

Working...
                  X