Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more power would Wilder have if he didn't walk around on toothpicks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much more power would Wilder have if he didn't walk around on toothpicks?

Now Wilder has power don't get me wrong, but I've always heard true punching power comes from the legs on up. What if the Bomber stopped skipping leg day, would he be taking guys heads clean off?

You checking out dudes legs huh?

Comment

Obviously, he proves power doesnt come from the legs. MOST boxers prove that. Trinidad, Delahoya, Forest, Morales, Corrales etc....
      Power comes from the upper body.

Comment

Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
        You checking out dudes legs huh?
        Second thread in a couple days by this guy about a man's specific body part lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sentax View Post
          Now Wilder has power don't get me wrong, but I've always heard true punching power comes from the legs on up. What if the Bomber stopped skipping leg day, would he be taking guys heads clean off?

Does he actually not train his legs, or are you assuming that because his legs--or at least his calves--seem disproportionately small when compared to his upper body?

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
            Does he actually not train his legs, or are you assuming that because his legs--or at least his calves--seem disproportionately small when compared to his upper body?
            I think he does swimming for cardio? Allegedly he hates running but I've seen him do sprints at least. I've never seen him jump rope before though. I'm kinda curious. And upon a quick google there appears to be one boxing voice clip of him entitled rare footage of champion jumping rope.

Comment

Originally posted by sentax View Post

Originally posted by MONGOOSE66 View Post
              Obviously, he proves power doesnt come from the legs. MOST boxers prove that. Trinidad, Delahoya, Forest, Morales, Corrales etc....
              Power comes from the upper body.
              You're both wrong and right, but its fighter dependent. The reality is, it can come and normally does come from a combination of places creating a perfect storm. If you changed a fighters attributes, there is no guarantee they become an even better puncher.

What I've noticed is that most punchers are bone dense,which allows their hands to punch through the target, but not all. Naseem Hamed for example had fragile hands/wrists but carried extreme power from his legs. Golovkin and Marciano had extremely powerful backs and dense hands.

Wilder is a bit like Tommy Hearns, they create a tremendous whipping action which seems to come from the shoulders and hips, it allows them to create tremendous speed and velocity.

My overall opinion is that punchers are born, boxing allows them to perfect it, but the ceiling is pre-determined.

Comment

Originally posted by dot.c.eh View Post
                I think he does swimming for cardio? Allegedly he hates running but I've seen him do sprints at least. I've never seen him jump rope before though. I'm kinda curious. And upon a quick google there appears to be one boxing voice clip of him entitled rare footage of champion jumping rope.
                I took a look at YouTube; he does train legs--perhaps not close to optimally, but...

See https://youtu.be/UyZeyaTLedE for example.

Comment

This guy clearly don't know how twitch fibers work and the effect it has on your physical ability.Thats why deontay will never have to take any performance enhancing drugs or lift heavy weights because his DNA is perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by giant_king View Post
                    This guy clearly don't know how twitch fibers work and the effect it has on your physical ability.Thats why deontay will never have to take any performance enhancing drugs or lift heavy weights because his DNA is perfection.
                    I’m with you, I wouldn’t change a thing about Wilders physique. It’s working. His explosiveness and punch speed make it that much harder to see the punch or prepare for it. Even if u could increase power, it might come at a cost of speed and stamina. Might not be able to land as often or throw as many, and the overall amount of damage u dish could end up being much less. If u really lack power then it could be worth changing it up, but if ur known already as one of the hardest punchers, just work on everything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X