Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Whyte sign with PBC?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Haymon is rather straightforward with the money, pays well but accordingly, and Whyte would've likely been matched with someone like Luis Ortiz to get to a really big payday (a fight that makes him the next mandatory for Wilder too).

Dillian Whyte doesn't headline his own show in the US, full stop (Whyte-Ortiz is likely big enough to headline a big date in Miami, but the fight likely makes more money for everyone in the UK, anyway). There are far more UK shows for him.

Top Rank now has Fury for five fights, and Whyte for however many fights; let's see what they can come up with to value the amount they paid

Comment

Bobfather takes care of you. You may lose, but you'll live to fight another day.

Better to be forced to your knees by the gentle pounding of Fury's pillowy fists than to be concussed into blackness by the sledgehammer right of the Bronze Bomber.

Comment

In His Own Words 12:20

Comment

Probably because he was guaranteed more money. Money is almost always the main reason. He has likely also been told he is fighting Fury later this year after his tune up fight.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
            I'm surprised he signed with ESPN also, to be honest.

Odd times indeed.
            He signed 'cause of Top Rank. They promoted one of his previous fights, knew them and had some experience with them.
            Last edited by MastaBlasta; 03-06-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
              TR probably offered him more money? And he will be Wilder's mandatory after the Breazeale fight so he can still fight him. Getting Whyte in turn also allows TR to get Wilder for two fights. They can win the purse bid and then obviously the Fury fight.
              Probably right about the money. Also I suspect its smarter for Whyte to stick with Sky in the UK vs flipping to ITV as Haymon likely wanted him too.

Although I tend to doubt Arum beats a PBC friendly promoter in a purse bid. But we will probably end up seeing if thats the case or not cuz Whyte is going to be a mando sooner or later. And I must admit TR has been surprising me since his ESPN deal as often as Eddie has been disappointing me since the DAZN deal so who knows what TR is capable of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Probably right about the money. Also I suspect its smarter for Whyte to stick with Sky in the UK vs flipping to ITV as Haymon likely wanted him too.

Although I tend to doubt Arum beats a PBC friendly promoter in a purse bid. But we will probably end up seeing if thats the case or not cuz Whyte is going to be a mando sooner or later. And I must admit TR has been surprising me since his ESPN deal as often as Eddie has been disappointing me since the DAZN deal so who knows what TR is capable of these days.
                If Whyte signs with ESPN, doubt he fights on Sky. His fights will be on BT Sports in all likelihood. But that's irrelevant as it seems like Whyte will be fighting stateside now.

Comment

If Whyte signs with Arum/Warren, the two biggest power brokers in the WBO, while currently ranked #1 in the WBO, it's a pretty safe bet the plan is to take Joshua to a purse bid or try to get him stripped.

Going the WBC route, Whyte would likely have to fight Ortiz in a final eliminator. Going the WBO route, Whyte probably won't need to fight a final eliminator if he signs with Arum/Warren. If he stayed with Hearn, the WBO might have forced him to face an Arum or Warren fighter in a final eliminator.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    That was the curious part to me in all of this. Didn't Hearn and/or Whyte do an interview on Saturday talking about a fight coming up in July? And then boom! He goes to Top Rank.

According to Rafael, Arum was willing to pay Wilder over $8M for someone of Breazeale's caliber next. So you would think they can pay Whyte at least 4M or so for his next fight and then 10M+ plus for Fury if that fight ever happens. And LIS, Top Rank can very easily just win the purse bid for the Wilder/Whyte fight.
                    He isn’t with Hearn in the first place, they work on a fight by fight basis, having said that, I think this is more a power move. No way is Arum/ESPN paying Whyte more money than what Sky sports are paying Whyte. If Arum wanted to pay Wilder 8m for the same fight that Hearn has been quoted at 15m then I can’t see them paying Whyte more than what he currently earns.

I think signing with ESPN is great for him, like you said if they win the WBC purse bid for the Wilder fight then Wilder better knock Whyte out on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaBlasta View Post
                      He signed 'cause of Top Rank. They promoted one of his previous fights, knew them and had some experience with them.
                      Makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X