No announcement yet.

Showtime needs to fire Espinoza.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
    Not a good year thus far? Sure, but why the hell would they drop him? He's the one that made the Mayweather deal and made SHO the equal of HBO, and eventually it's superior. HBO dominated for years and he changed that by getting the Floyd deal, which eventually led to getting all of GBP and Haymon fighters.

Haymon sent a lot of his top names on FOX in the first half of the year. Doesn't mean that will continue. Espinoza's plan is still to air the GRJ/LSC fight later this year as well as the 154 unification bout, preferably Charlo vs Hurd.

FOX getting the top names from their new deal was expected, but Haymon will soon to need to distribute names to both networks equally. I mean SHO still got the biggest PBC fighter in Wilder, and eventually hope to get the Joshua fight on SHO PPV.

So yeah, firing a guy that led the start to HBO's demise and making SHO the premium cable leader in boxing while putting on three of the four biggest PPVs ever is suspect to say the least.
    This right here is seeing the glass half full.

For the majority of us, showtime has been utter garbage for a little while now. They were on fire a couple years back then Al Haymon started making his own network deals and Espinoza got caught in the backdraft.

Comment

I already canceled showtime. There is no point to keeping it FOX, DAZN, ESPN, ESPN+, FS1 are all airing better and more fights then showtime is. Showtime is now clear dead last in networks airing boxing fights. And if showtime does get a good fight it will be PPV anyway. Haymon screwed Espinoza bad taking half his roster to FOX and then DAZN and ESPN scooped up all the other top fighters. He is left with whatever scraps Haymon occasionally throws his way.

Comment

Damn Well...Espinoza better get on the phone and beg Mayweather to comeback [/QUOTE]

Showtime has already been begging Floyd to come back. Remember when Jimmy Lennon jr kept asking Floyd if he would rematch Pacquiao after the Broner fight?

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
          please show me the evidence that they have "made a fortune".
          Floyd/Canelo
          Floyd/Pac (joint)
          Floyd/McGregor

The 3 highest selling PPV's of all time

And almost half their subscribe base says boxing on Showtime is very important to them. Meaning they're retaining subs because of boxing.

On the other hand HBO's survey of subs said boxing wasn't important to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            Floyd/Canelo
            Floyd/Pac (joint)
            Floyd/McGregor

The 3 highest selling PPV's of all time

And almost half their subscribe base says boxing on Showtime is very important to them. Meaning they're retaining subs because of boxing.

On the other hand HBO's survey of subs said boxing wasn't important to them.
            Floyd ain't coming back. And if the subscribers care so much about boxing then why are the ratings so low?

Comment

Floyd ain't coming back. And if the subscribers care so much about boxing then why are the ratings so low?
              Ratings mean nothing on premium cable. If only one person watches the next Wilder fight but that one person subscribed just for that fight then that's a win for Showtime. They don't sell ads. They make money off of subscribers. As long as boxing is retaining subs they're happy. HBO's survey revealed the opposite. That's why despite having better ratings, and the biggest star in the sport they dropped boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                Ratings mean nothing on premium cable. If only one person watches the next Wilder fight but that one person subscribed just for that fight then that's a win for Showtime. They don't sell ads. They make money off of subscribers. As long as boxing is retaining subs they're happy. HBO's survey revealed the opposite. That's why despite having better ratings, and the biggest star in the sport they dropped boxing.
                I know how the subscription model works. I'm just asking you why the Showtime boxing ratings are so low if the subscribers supposedly care about boxing so much.

Comment

I know how the subscription model works. I'm just asking you why the Showtime boxing ratings are so low if the subscribers supposedly care about boxing so much.
                  And I'm telling you it doesn't matter. They made the decision due to their internal survey. The same reason HBO made the decision they made to drop boxing.

Comment

Working...
                  X