No announcement yet.

Prime Mike Tyson vs Prime All time Heavyweight Champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    George was not fighting the likes of Norton, Frazier and Ali in his second coming. All three of them would have dispatched the likes of Michael Moorer in a jiffy, as Tyson would have. The competition was weak when George recaptured the heavyweight title. Moorer was a fluke heavyweight champion.
    Very true.

Comment

Lennox had a secret fight with Mike Tyson back in the 1980s.

1. Tyson won the first round handily and staggered Young Lennox several times

2. Round 2 was more competitive with Lennox making adjustments to Mike's ferocity. Toss up round .

3. Round 3 Lennox had clearly taken control of the fight when a frustrated Cus Dmato threw in the towel. "Get Mike outta there! he may have to face this Monster some day, but not tonight, not in my gym"

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
        Lennox had a secret fight with Mike Tyson back in the 1980s.

1. Tyson won the first round handily and staggered Young Lennox several times

2. Round 2 was more competitive with Lennox making adjustments to Mike's ferocity. Toss up round .

3. Round 3 Lennox had clearly taken control of the fight when a frustrated Cus Dmato threw in the towel. "Get Mike outta there! he may have to face this Monster some day, but not tonight, not in my gym"
        i would strongly dispute your theory above.. from what i read and understand about their sparring session was: Tyson completely blitzed Lewis within seconds of the opening round. The following day Lewis plucked up the courage for a second go, but this time he ran and ran so surviving the first round. Tyson caught up with him in the second round and as soon as Lewis went down, the session was halted and back to his beloved Canada went Lewis.... You theory is simply far too fetched to believe, there is video footage available of both Tyson & Lewis as teenage boxers. In fact there is hours of footage available of them. i personally have around 20+ amateur fights of Lennox Lewis and the same of Mike Tyson. They are chalk and cheese, anyone with one iota of boxing knowledge would bet his right-arm Mike Tyson would "destroy" Lewis within seconds after viewing the footage.

Now i know Lewis likes nothing better than to spew-out how he defeated Tyson in the amateurs, but guys who were there and lived up in the Catskills tell a totally different tale. I have also never read before what you are claiming Cus D'Amato said..... from what i recall reading what Cus said was, as Lewis was leaving his house, "Stick in there kid, you won't meet an opponent like Mike every day. if you succeed in the sport it's possible you could meet some time in the future in the professional ranks "........ so your claim of Lewis being a monster is just a figment of your own vivid imagination.

Comment

Mike Tyson was addicted to prescription Anti-Depressants, Alcohol, Cocaine & Cannabis. it was well documented about these addictions in 2002. Mike Tyson even served time in prison around that time for drugs possession. Tyson's medical records varify his anti-depressant addiction. Mike Tyson's boxing career, as far as being a top flight athlete had been over for around 6yrs after his brutal beating from Evander Holyfield. Along with his "Ear-Biting" foul-filled rematch with Holyfield...Yet Mike Tyson was still the betting favourite to defeat current heavyweight world champion Lennox Lewis in June 2002......it puts into perspective those amateur days claims.

Comment

The fights definitely happened that's indisputable. Multiple sources confirm this. The question is whose account do you believe?

In every version I've heard it was Cus Dmato who stopped it. Why on earth would he do that if Tyson was winning? Cus was very protective of Tyson's self esteem and didn't want se 6'5 CanAdian beast beAting on his prized student.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
              The fights definitely happened that's indisputable. Multiple sources confirm this. The question is whose account do you believe?

In every version I've heard it was Cus Dmato who stopped it. Why on earth would he do that if Tyson was winning? Cus was very protective of Tyson's self esteem and didn't want se 6'5 CanAdian beast beAting on his prized student.
              Well let us take a close look at the facts shall we.

Lewis is 9 months older than Tyson.
              Tyson won the Heavyweight Title at 20yrs old in 1986
              Lewis won the Olympic amateur Gold Medal in 1988
              Tyson lost to Buster Douglas 1990
              Lewis picked belt out of trash bin in 1993

Bill Cayton is on video "Mike Tyson's Greatest Hits" claiming he paid $1000 for world class sparring partners, who had just finished training camp of Heavyweight Champion of the World Larry Holmes. These sparring partners were for 18yrs old Mike Tyson who tore them to pieces...

Yet you are claiming Lennox Lewis a 18/19yr old amateur from Canada went over to the Catskills and beat up 18yr old Mike Tyson?

You can watch on Youtube the professional debut of Lennox Lewis 1989, along with all of his professional fights..You have to be exaggerating mate LOL

were is this monster you are talking about?.. were is this monster who Cus D'Amato stopped beating up his boy Mike Tyson? LOL

The truth here is you are getting mixed up mate.. Evander Holyfield visited Catskills as a young professional in 1985 and sparred with Mike Tyson. They sparred one round only and Cus D'Amato stopped them, due to it being "Too Brutal".......You are trying to imply it was Lennox Lewis when it was Evander Holyfield.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                George was not fighting the likes of Norton, Frazier and Ali in his second coming. All three of them would have dispatched the likes of Michael Moorer in a jiffy, as Tyson would have. The competition was weak when George recaptured the heavyweight title. Moorer was a fluke heavyweight champion.
                There was plenty of good competition when George fought his second career. Bowe, Holyfield, Moorer, Morrison, Tyson pre-prison, Bruno, Witherspoon etc etc. So it's not that the competition wasn't there.

George just feasted on bums, getting enough hype around his name to get that 1 title fight. He got that first vs Holyfield when he probably didn't deserve it and did well in the fight. And then, after considering retirement and not having fought in 1½ years, Moorer comes knocking. And he could pull it out on one night. but he knew himself he couldn't go through top 10 opponents and "earn" his shot the right way.

Because as Merchant said: "George is a star" - And it had it's perks.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post

The truth here is you are getting mixed up mate.. Evander Holyfield visited Catskills as a young professional in 1985 and sparred with Mike Tyson. They sparred one round only and Cus D'Amato stopped them, due to it being "Too Brutal".......You are trying to imply it was Lennox Lewis when it was Evander Holyfield.
                  Here is a first hand account of what happened watch from 8:15-11:30

For those who didnt watch, Lennox was beating Tyson's hyde as far back as 1983!
                  Last edited by Joeyzagz; 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but are there any first hand accounts of anyone other than Lewis or Tyson that witnessed the sparring session?

Comment

I don't know if anyone could sit through fifteen minutes of lennox Lewis talking. Here is another great Lewis quote from a fight I watched the other night. Straight from the HBO post-analysis desk.

"Felix Trinidad really showed the world that if someone is strong in the head that means he's weak in the body, but if they are weak in the body, that means he's strong in the head."

Because you may want to play this cherished moment over and over, I have provided a link. Put it on at your next boxing bee and hush your guests. Works well at bachelor parties and anniversaries. Stuns! Amazes! The fun starts around 1:33:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMshtgA4rA

Comment

Working...
                      X