No announcement yet.

Arum: Crawford, Bradley, Loma may move to showtime. Pac/Vargas shown on TR TV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    So much for Arum weeks ago saying that if HBO don't want to distribute Manny's PPV that voids his contract and Manny is a free agent allowing any other network to distribute this PPV. HBO came out saying that's not the case and they seem to be correct if Top Rank is now going to pay and distribute it themselves without network backing. Without HBO/Showtime or the rumored ESPN involvement this PPV will end up tanking and Arum alone will be taking the loss. Still no clue why they wouldn't just move on to another HBO PPV date or pick a better opponent SMH

They have to use whatever date pacquiao is in recess. That's why the end of October/beginning of November is when he wants to fight

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      HBO is wasting money on mismatches and don't want to spend money on good fights like Loma/Walters. Go to where the money is
      Arum OVERPAID to sign Loma that's the problem with making Loma/Walters is that Loma is eating up too much of the money and top rank refuses to pay Walters out of pocket and Loma refuses to give money back. Look at Loma's last fight which tanked. He is very talented but he don't have the TV ratings, the ticket sales, ect to command the money he is ALREADY making for beating lesser fighters. So how is any network going to afford to pay him more for a bigger risk fight and also pay more money for a better opponent? The equation just doesn't add up someone will lose money. Arum wants that someone to be the network. If you overpay a fighter who doesn't have the fanbase or generates the kind of money to match that it's not the networks job to take losses to bail you out.

Comment

This could be quite a good thing for boxing. There shouldn't be any excuses to not make PBC vs TR fights now. I wanna see:

Thurman vs Bradley
        Crawford vs Felix Diaz

Loma vs Mikey is now possible as well, although Loma would have to move up again

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
          They have to use whatever date pacquiao is in recess. That's why the end of October/beginning of November is when he wants to fight
          We all know why Manny prefers this date. The problem is his PPV sales which have fallen off a cliff say he is no longer the star who can make demands like this to a network. HBO already had 2 PPVs scheduled for the fall. Putting another PPV would only hurt HBO's PPVs they have lined up. It's just bad business to have 3 back to back that close. And this ain't even a good fight, it's another weak in house top rank opponent that nobody asked for. This fight was going to tank and lose money just like his last PPV and it likely was going to hurt the Ward/Kovalev PPV in the process. A better fight or moving the date was the only solution.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
            This could be quite a good thing for boxing. There shouldn't be any excuses to not make PBC vs TR fights now. I wanna see:

Thurman vs Bradley
            Crawford vs Felix Diaz

Loma vs Mikey is now possible as well, although Loma would have to move up again
            Bob Arum is still a snake, so there's plenty of reason to not want to do business with him, especially with Arum not bring any real attraction to the table.

Arum can pitch whatever he wants to Showtime; I doubt that Showtime is even going to carry the convo long enough to get to a money discussion (Arum has nothing in his stable that Showtime can pick off to further undergird their heavyweight, welterweight, junior middleweight, and featherweight boxing scenes).

Why would Espinoza bother with Arum and finding the money to fulfill Top Rank's high guarantee to Bradley, when he can put on Thurman-Garcia, Thurman-Brook, Thurman-Spence, or even Thurman-Porter 2 (all fights that are more compelling than Thurman-Bradley) without all that much of a headache?

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post

Thurman vs Bradley
              Crawford vs Felix Diaz

Arum settled his lawsuit with Haymon back in May why haven't his guys been fighting Haymon? Most of his fighters don't have a contract with HBO so that's not been in the way. We know Haymon spoke and offered multiple fighters as an opponent for Manny. And either Haymon fighters priced themselves out or Arum cheaped out and wanted a in house opponent for Manny depending on who you talk you. Remember when everyone said after the court settlement this means his guys will be fighting on PBC? That didn't happen and Arum is talking about getting his guys network deals on Showtime not PBC. I'll believe Arum will work with Haymon fighters when I see it.

Comment

I want HBO to return to how they used to make great fights not get out of boxing altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                  We all know why Manny prefers this date. The problem is his PPV sales which have fallen off a cliff say he is no longer the star who can make demands like this to a network. HBO already had 2 PPVs scheduled for the fall. Putting another PPV would only hurt HBO's PPVs they have lined up. It's just bad business to have 3 back to back that close. And this ain't even a good fight, it's another weak in house top rank opponent that nobody asked for. This fight was going to tank and lose money just like his last PPV and it likely was going to hurt the Ward/Kovalev PPV in the process. A better fight or moving the date was the only solution.

The post I was responding too asked why didn't manny choose another date. I responded because he had to choose a date while he was in recess. That's how he chose November 5th.

I'm not sure what any of what you said had to do with that.

Comment

The post I was responding too asked why didn't manny choose another date. I responded because he had to choose a date while he was in recess. That's how he chose November 5th.

If Manny refuses to fight any time other then Nov that's his problem. Either Top Rank gives a better fight to maybe force HBO to move things around or you fight on a later date maybe in 2017. Again Manny is not the money maker he used to be for HBO and this is a crap fight not worth sabotaging the Ward/Kovelev promotions. If Manny wants to be a part time fighter/politician then it's Top Rank's problem finding him PPV dates if he can only fight in Nov. Arum spent most of the year telling HBO and fans that Manny was NOT coming back. Then at the last minute says he is coming back but can only fight around the same time as a HBO PPV that was announced a year ago and been planned and marketed all of 2016. HBO would be fools to screw that up for Manny/Vargas.

Comment

This should be good news.

I don't want to hear any more cold war excuses now. Fights between TR and PBC fighters should now be easy to make.

Garcia vs Crawford. Make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X