Comments Thread For: DAZN: Canelo-Jacobs Fight Watched By 1.2 Million Worldwide

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thegonzo View Post
    Hello Everyone!

So far DAZN has earned $38M in total net revenue (after the appstore takes their 30% cut) since they launched. Here's revenue for the DAZN app JUST for the day of the fight, Saturday May 4th, across both app versions (iTunes + Google Play). They have new/re-subscribers on the daily but of course this peaks when there's megafight...

Total $1.2M
    US $1.06M
    Japan $36K
    Italy $33K
    Germany $28K
    Spain $8K
    Canada $5K
    Switzerland $4K
    Austria $4K

I hope you find this interesting, I sure do! And I'm happy to share this data. I work in app development so streaming services are an interesting beast.
    Can't you purchase DAZN without purchasing from the app store? Cuz I'm pretty positive thats exactly what I did.

Interesting info doe. I believe it to only be partial info doe.

Comment

• Good to hear, I see no wonder why it's at that number it will probably increase in viewership numbers with other networks which broadcasted the fight..

was a good fight as well Canelo unified the division against Jacobs now to see if there will be a 3rd fight with golovkin or maybe a move up again in division to take on other champions in 168?

Comment

• 1.2 million WORLD WIDE, that's not good. It took 8 markets to get less than what most fighters get in 1 and that includes people who were already subscribed. They paid 40+ million for 1.2 million views. Doing the math IF (which we know not to be true) every single viewerr was a new viewer at the $20.00 price point which other countries don't have, they made $24Mil which would be a minimum $16mil loss not including other fees associated with the fight. The fight was terrible so it was a horrible advertisement for people who they want to pay month 2 month

Comment

• I'm really interested to know what DAZN needs to bring in monthly just to break even. Is it $50 million average? Then let's assume half of their revenue ends up coming from the monthly customers, and half from the annual ones.

That's $15 a month per customer, averaged. To get to $50 million per month, they need a little over 3 million subs monthly, averaged.

With the numbers they put out they seem to be about $18 million this month, which should have been a big revenue month as it is a Canelo fight. But they seem to be excited about the numbers so maybe they really feel they are on the right track and their plan is working.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Comment

• Don't forget that there are those who have subscriptions but didn't watch it live. I saw it on delay due to other obligations. One of the benefits of DAZN's format is that I can watch it similar to a DVR'd event.

It's hard to compare a streaming service to a cable television show in terms of viewership or viability; ESPN may get more viewers but their overhead may also be higher since they need to provide more live content. Another factor is that DAZN has revenue streams from sports other than boxing and other than the US market.

I like the platform; from a strictly viewing preference I like it better than ESPN+ and better than boxing on Fox but not as much as I enjoy Showtime and what I once enjoyed from HBO. FS1 is near bottom for me personally with Facebook live dead last.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              Couple of thoughts:

1. excellent for DAZN and the sport.

2. too bad so many issues but I am sure they will get all that worked out by the next big fight.

3. If they have 600k stream from the US, what % of DAZN subscribers were watching the fight? They have been reports that they are "approaching 1 million" so I am wondering if this is how many they have sold.
              Good questions and unlike some of the weird haters suggest these numbers are GOOD.

600k PAID subscribers is significantly more than 1.5m views on...Fox or CBS. Not only in ACTUAL money, but also in principal. People in the US are switching or at least acknowledging the legitimacy of a streaming boxing service....Canelo v Jacobs was a TOP TEN BOXING fight in all of weight classes. As is always the case in business...sell a good product - customers will come.

Keep it DAZN!

Comment

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                Why do you always freak out and go on a rant when some one views things in a wide spectrum compared to your narrow, biased, agenda filled posts? Is it not a fact that the report was 600k concurrent streams, not subscribers? Is it not a fact that one subscriber can use 2 streams? So is it possible that a percentage of views are in fact double streams?

Maybe instead of being so one sided, you should broaden your mind. Especially since in a previous post I disagreed with another poster who said this fight was not a success. Now what does that do for your little rant?
                Dude your theory of it being just 100K subscribers but everyone of then gave their password to 6 people never made sense and was pretty laughable but it's been debunked ESPN reporting DAZN made more the 48M off Subscribers for this fight. Based on that figure its almost impossible that they haven't hit the 1M subscribers mark. Subscription costs were 20 bucks for 1 month or 99 bucks for the year. Do the math from 48M

Comment

• So reading it again, if 600,000 Americans watched it at $20 a pop, that’s $12m tops....Canelo was paid what? $30-$35m with Jacobs making what? $2-$2.5m? So basically, they lost money on this fight. Mexico watched it for free......FREE. So unless Italy, japan, Austria, Canada somehow ended up producing another $25m then this is the lowest grossing fight of canelo’s career since becoming a ppv fighter. But then this is why this new number scheme of “globally” has been thrown in.....I’ve never seen anyone try to use that before.
                  Make no mistake, dazn is bleeding money. They moved into the ppv at cinemas market, my guess is they will go ppv for Canelo in the future.

Comment

• For a Canelo fight, that's really low. Maybe it's just a sign that he lost a lot of fans after all the recent controversies with clenbeturol and those 2 decisions against GGG.
                    I'd like to see how the numbers compare when GGG fights, even if it's not a high profile fight. I feel GGG gained many of Canelo's fans.

Comment

• One have to take into consideration what % of 1.2m worldwide are from the countries that have weak currency and how much they paid for in their country.

Comment

Working...
                      X