No announcement yet.

Junior Jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Jones

What do you remember about Junior Jones?

He was a tall bw/ super bw champion who could punch but sometimes his chin would let him down.He got knocked out by a fighter with 18 defeats only to beat a undefeated Barrera twice a year or more later.

Comment

I remember Junior Jones being hyped up by the boxing magazines as something special, the next big thing. Kept an eye on him to see if he could fulfill all the expectations but he fell short.

So I stopped following him closely and next thing I know he ends up beating Barrera.

At that point I started paying attention once more...only for him to start losing again.

Don't know if it's fair or not but that's how I will always picture him. Very good but not quite legendary.

Comment

- -don't know enough about him, but he was clearly talented. You need more than talent to be a apex fighter.

He had flashes and bragging rights over Barrera, so well done.

Comment

I remember seeing him and Kevin Kelly come up on the MSG network. I remember HBO later hyping them as P4P fighters shortly before they were upset and suffered their first loss. They both rebounded and did alright but fell short of original expectations. I liked both of them though and gave us some great fights.

Comment

I love his style although he wasn’t the most consistent. When he is on though, he was a hard guy to beat.

Last I heard he was working as a mailman in New York.

Comment

His chin was the biggest flaw on him.

Comment

legend! SO much heart. fought everybody. barrera. morales. canizales. mckenney. tom johnson. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by eric kelly View Post
                  legend! SO much heart. fought everybody. barrera. morales. canizales. mckenney. tom johnson. etc.
                  His fight with Barrera was the cornerstone of Boxing After Dark

Comment

Junior Jones had the skills but that chin and that stamina didn't hold up at times.

He had Barrera's number when he Barrera was at his peak.

Comment

Working...
                    X