Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the sanctioning organizations order a rematch of Kovalev-Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw the poll is not accurate of course everyone wants rematch but it being ordered is a completely different story

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
      btw the poll is not accurate of course everyone wants rematch but it being ordered is a completely different story
      He knew what he was doing when he worded the poll that way. Ol' slickback JD.

Comment

Per Sergey Kovalev:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comm...est_interview/

Since the round 5 I turned into the other me[**** verison in Chilemba fight]. In the middle of the fifth round it was like my tyres were punctured and went flat - I lost my speed, I lost every aspect of my skills. It hit me psychologically, but what could I do? I fought with nothing but my willpower.
        This is the result of those punishing body shots.

I think a rematch will be worse and Ward will win via stoppage

Comment

Make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Should the sanctioning organizations order a rematch of Kovalev-Ward?

Should the sanctioning organizations (WBO, WBA, IBF) order a rematch of Ward-Kovalev, since most people thought Kovalev won?

Looks like Ward won't honor his rematch clause, so this might be the only way to have him fight Kovalev again.
            ... the sanctioning organizations ordering a rematch won't mean much -- Ward could fight at SMW, CW, HW...

... in case Ward doesn't want, only a court order would make him liable for financial compensations... but Ward may "retire" as well and leave this in limbo...

Comment

cant say im interested too much in a rematch, in my eyes kovalev won the fight and ward stunk out the joint (again), it wasnt an exciting fight, rather see kovalev v beterbiev or v the pimp. rematch is going to look pretty similar, just going to end up seeing what weve seen already, doubt kovalev can knock ward out and doubt ward will offer enough offensively to deserve a decision, and can easily see a scenario in which kovalev gets robbed once again cause rematch would probably be in oakland, virgil hunter will probably be the ref and wards family and friends are the judges

Comment

Roc Nation Sports is running the rematch, not Main Events

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                Should the sanctioning organizations (WBO, WBA, IBF) order a rematch of Ward-Kovalev, since most people thought Kovalev won?

Looks like Ward won't honor his rematch clause, so this might be the only way to have him fight Kovalev again.
                The sooner everyone realizes that fact, with or without the sanctioning organizations, the better. (with the WBA and IBF locking in the opponent's purse bid share at 25%, I'd even argue that it'd make the talks easier).

No different than the first fight except flipped, Kovalev and Ward will have an understanding on the money, Main Events/Kovalev are going to get $3m-$4m as his guarantee, Ward's own money will be made on the event, and then Kovalev doesn't get cut in on another penny of the event once Ward has made his own $5m (with that upside likely split near 60/40 Ward on any other proceeds).

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                  They can order a rematch that is fine, but if Ward is not going to honor a contractually obligated rematch clause (which will lead to litigation), why would he care about anything a sanctioning body says?
                  Pretty much this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                    They can order a rematch that is fine, but if Ward is not going to honor a contractually obligated rematch clause (which will lead to litigation), why would he care about anything a sanctioning body says?
                    Because he'd lose the belts.

Comment

Obviously a rematch is warranted but I don't think the orgs should order it. Anyway I think there is already a rematch clause.

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X