No announcement yet.

Ward's hook.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward's hook.

Can he get that whislin' again like he did to Dawson? Is Kovalev open to the left hook?

That was all about the set up. Everything Ward does is part of a sort of fight choreography. It's how he controls fights. He tagged Chad to the midsection repeatedly, baiting him to counter or defend. As soon as he got Chad to drop those hands, boom.

He'll definitely be working to open Sergey up, be it for the left hook, right, etc. I think Kovalev is a smart fighter, much smarter than he gets credit for. But, I question his ability to adapt. That'll be a big factor here as I think Ward will deliver a gameplan that evolves throughout the fight, constantly leaving Sergey guessing and hesitant to throw.

Comment

That was all about the set up. Everything Ward does is part of a sort of fight choreography. It's how he controls fights. He tagged Chad to the midsection repeatedly, baiting him to counter or defend. As soon as he got Chad to drop those hands, boom.

He'll definitely be working to open Sergey up, be it for the left hook, right, etc. I think Kovalev is a smart fighter, much smarter than he gets credit for. But, I question his ability to adapt. That'll be a big factor here as I think Ward will deliver a gameplan that evolves throughout the fight, constantly leaving Sergey guessing and hesitant to throw.
      Wonder if Kov will be able to remain patient and stick to the game plan if Ward begins to land consistently. He appears to get frustrated / embarrassed when opponents land decent shots on him. I don't think his pride will allow him to sit back and set traps if Ward manages to stun or out work him during a round. That mentality might lead him to losing valuable time trying to land power shots.......

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
        Wonder if Kov will be able to remain patient and stick to the game plan if Ward begins to land consistently. He appears to get frustrated / embarrassed when opponents land decent shots on him. I don't think his pride will allow him to sit back and set traps if Ward manages to stun or out work him during a round. That mentality might lead him to losing valuable time trying to land power shots.......
        That's what I'm predicting, that he'll get frustrated and try to win by force, which will tire him out, slow him down, and make things worse.

Comment

Kovalev likes to counter his opponents lead hand with his back hand.

Straights over jabs and usually inside of hooks. Leading with his hook could prove problematic against Kova. I doubt you'll see it here.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post

Straights over jabs and usually inside of hooks. Leading with his hook could prove problematic against Kova. I doubt you'll see it here.
            well, like another poster mentioned its all about the set up with ward. ward is very carefu and kovalev is very dangerous, so he wont just go in there winging hooks at him. but i think he will use it as the fight progresses.

he will use feints and work of other punches to land that shot, showing kovalev different things will be crucial. those counter right hans you mention are dangerous specifically because he can predict them coming.

angles will play a factor as well, kovalev is a straight line fighter and i expect ward to step around him and utilize his feet to land power shots from a safe position. if he steps over to his left and bangs the hook of an angle he will neutralize kovalevs ability to counter effectively.

but i do agree ward will be very careful against kovalev in general, including the use of his hook.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post

... yes: Kovalev usually assesses his opponent's "mechanics" and then counters... (no matter how fast his opponent is...)

Comment

Thats why i'm thinking Hunter has been so quiet. He's drafting this long, drawn out plan with options A, B, C, etc. You can tell when he first started working with Khan and Berto he wants them to fight a certain way according to a plan made in camp and then adjust. Its just with Ward he's done that for so many years its automatic.

Comment

depends on what Kovalev opens himself up for.but dawson was a southpaw and the left hook is money against them

Comment

Originally posted by chessplayer163 View Post
                    Can he get that whislin' again like he did to Dawson? Is Kovalev open to the left hook?
                    He is always open for the left hook.

That's the shot he was stopped with in the amateurs...in full head gear.

Comment

Working...
                    X