No announcement yet.

How much do sparring partners get paid?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
    A sparring partner has to be like a flu vaccine, a watered down virus that can prepare you for the real thing but not wipe you out like the kind you get from coughing.

No one benefits from getting beaten up in sparring, especially when you're training hard and trying to get in peak physical condition. On top of that, it negatively affects a fighter's confidence.
    Let me rephrase what I said, maybe the words I used sounded harsh. I should've phrased my question like "isn't the point of sparring suppose to be challenging..."

Comment

Originally posted by NYU Alum. View Post
      I don't understand why if a sparring partner ends up giving the star fighter hell in their sparring sessions they get sent home?

Isn't the purpose of training camp to be hard and difficult so when the actual fight happens it becomes "easy".
      It's not following instructions.What a fighter will be learning is adjusting to a style so this is meant to be done slowly.The level of opposition also has to be adjusted from easy going harder as the fighter adjusts.Some of these sparring partners dont get it and they give hell to the fighter instead of emulating a style.If the fighter was fighting his own fight he wouldnt be getting hell but because of the adjustment he does get it.

After they are fired they love talking to the press which is a sign of immaturity and a lack of brains.What they only mention is the hell but overlook the emulating bit

Comment

I remember back in the day when I was in Tyson's camp sparring Oba Carr for his fight with Ike Quartey. Me and Oba did it on the strength of just knowing each other. But I remember vividly Tyson giving his sparring partners two thousand a week and frankly, it wasn't worth it because, not one of those sparring partners went more then two rounds with Mike. He was seriously damaging each and everyone of them. It was like he was paying them to tee off on them. They were leaving out of there everyday, or every time they sparred with broken ribs, broken noses, cuts, etc. And we all know boxers don't have no health care so those medical expenses came from that two grand Mike was giving them.

Comment

Let me rephrase what I said, maybe the words I used sounded harsh. I should've phrased my question like "isn't the point of sparring suppose to be challenging..."
          There's a method to the 'challenging'.It could be defence,speed,movement,workrate or power.If you are told to fight one way but you decide to make yourself a name the other way you get fired

Comment

It is, but there has to be a healthy medium there. That's why you see some guys who are career sparring partners hold back in the ring. There is this fighter here in Jersey named Willie Palms, a former US National champ in the heavyweights. He has tremendous skill but he spent way too much time being a sparring partner and now fights like that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snuff Armstrong View Post
              I remember back in the day when I was in Tyson's camp sparring Oba Carr for his fight with Ike Quartey. Me and Oba did it on the strength of just knowing each other. But I remember vividly Tyson giving his sparring partners two thousand a week and frankly, it wasn't worth it because, not one of those sparring partners went more then two rounds with Mike. He was seriously damaging each and everyone of them. It was like he was paying them to tee off on them. They were leaving out of there everyday, or every time they sparred with broken ribs, broken noses, cuts, etc. And we all know boxers don't have no health care so those medical expenses came from that two grand Mike was giving them.
              Similar to David Tua. You don't spar him to learn, you spar to get beat up.

Comment

Working...
              X