No announcement yet.

Cotto, the new Jermaine Taylor...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
    Both these fighters are warriors having taken on any opponent put in front of them. I have the utmost respect for both of them..

Congrats first to Cotto for beating Yuri but this win just reminds me too much of when Taylor beat Lacy or RJJ beat Trinidad and Anthony Hanshaw. Just confidence builders, nothing more or less. Put him in the ring with the likes of an elite fighter such as Williams, Martinez and Pac and he'll get toasted, honestly. His chin has been checked and failed the test first against Margarito then Pac, and these guys will take full advantage of it (Pac again).

Kellerman knows this and was so right when he said Cotto should take a step down from the big fights. I agree too, he should take a leaf out of Taylor's books because if he steps it up from here (with a weak chin) we'll be looking at him face up in the 12th round just like Taylor vs Abraham or a bloody mess (again) just like RJJ vs Calzaghe. He's fought the best and should just take the easy road from here I suggest, or he'll end up a slurring mess later on in his life.
    cotto has never been KTFO 3x in a row. your analogy fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
      cotto has never been KTFO 3x in a row. your analogy fails.
      If you're going to be that literal about it, neither has Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Walterson View Post
        Both these fighters are warriors having taken on any opponent put in front of them. I have the utmost respect for both of them..

Congrats first to Cotto for beating Yuri but this win just reminds me too much of when Taylor beat Lacy or RJJ beat Trinidad and Anthony Hanshaw. Just confidence builders, nothing more or less. Put him in the ring with the likes of an elite fighter such as Williams, Martinez and Pac and he'll get toasted, honestly. His chin has been checked and failed the test first against Margarito then Pac, and these guys will take full advantage of it (Pac again).

Kellerman knows this and was so right when he said Cotto should take a step down from the big fights. I agree too, he should take a leaf out of Taylor's books because if he steps it up from here (with a weak chin) we'll be looking at him face up in the 12th round just like Taylor vs Abraham or a bloody mess (again) just like RJJ vs Calzaghe. He's fought the best and should just take the easy road from here I suggest, or he'll end up a slurring mess later on in his life.
        Cotto's losses had nothing to do with a "weak" chin. He won another belt in another division and I would consider this a better win than RJJ win over Trinidad and Taylors win over Lacy. Maybe people were saying Cotto was going to lose. Everyone knew RJJ and Taylor were gonna win those fights. But I do think Cotto would get destroyed if he fought Martinez at 154. All this fight showed was that Cotto is still a top level fighter.

Comment

cotto is in a division where he'll never be able to dominate. just aint gonna happen with williams and martinez around. i think the best fight for him next is berto honestly. thats a fight that he could win and it would boost his resume considerably. he cannot, and i repeat, cannot, beat the top fighters at either 147 or 154.

Comment

I have to disagree with you.

A lot of people on here felt Cotto was shot and would lose to Yuri because Yuri would be too much for Cotto to handle.

Cotto was in the best shape of his life and put on his best performance in the last few years. This is the first time he actually was comfortable in training camp and has a real trainer with experience in his corner.

Cotto is not an elite fighter anymore and he's not in his prime anymore, but he can still beat a lot top guys.

You don't think he can beat guys like Berto, Williams, Margacheato, etc? How many guys can beat guys like Manny, Floyd, and Martinez? Only Floyd can beat Manny at 147 and Martinez at 154 or 160.

Comment

maybe cotto needs to be in there with chavez jr. ;
              i mean it's sad... but it would be a fairly easy fight for him.

he should maybe lay low for a bit.
              he's had a couple of wars/bad beatings throughout his career.

or fight berto, marg and call it quits?

Comment

Originally posted by mr.applesauce View Post
                maybe cotto needs to be in there with chavez jr. ;
                i mean it's sad... but it would be a fairly easy fight for him.

he should maybe lay low for a bit.
                he's had a couple of wars/bad beatings throughout his career.

or fight berto, marg and call it quits?
                Chavez JR would get the same beating Alfonso Gomez got against Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Benavidez Mafia View Post
                  Chavez JR would get the same beating Alfonso Gomez got against Cotto.
                  i know man. that's why i believe it's sad.
                  and i dont understand how bob arum has placed him as an option before martinez, wtf?

but unless cotto is planning on retiring in a year or two,
                  lower competitions must be faced;

but i would much rather see him face andre berto, then margs.
                  then retire

Comment

I agree in someway with the TS, he might loose as soon as he step in, but I really think Foreman was a good win. Cotto might perform well against Williams. he might even beat him, he should stay away from Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.applesauce View Post
                      i know man. that's why i believe it's sad.
                      and i dont understand how bob arum has placed him as an option before martinez, wtf?

but unless cotto is planning on retiring in a year or two,
                      lower competitions must be faced;

but i would much rather see him face andre berto, then margs.
                      then retire
                      Arum is not stupid to put Cotto in the ring against Martinez after he saw what Martinez did to Kelly.

Arum and Chavez's JR. camp really protect the kid and no way they put him in the ring against Cotto, unless they want Cotto to expose the kid as a C-level fighter, who lives off his daddy's name.

Comment

Working...
                      X