Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers in Britain have to sell tickets to their own fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen seats are seats and money is money. Any promoter is going to relish a fighter who could move seats!
    I worked for years with the group that ran the Hartford Civic Center in the late 70's through the 80's. I had a heavyweight who could sell 3 bus loads of people from New Haven to Hartford every time he fought. He could move 300 ring side as he moved up to a prelim guy. The other guy moving seats was Marlon Starling as he was coming up in the ranks.
    A four rounder moving 100 seats could make three times the standard pay. An 8 round semi who moves 300 ringside could make 5 times the normal payout.

Everyone from Jimmy Mantoya in California to Donny Elbaum in New Jersey appreciated any fighter who could be reliable and professional to move seats.
    No need to bow, just listen, ask questions and be honest.
    I'm not selling my opinions and don't care if anyone agrees or not but when someone gives their opinion and it's BS I'm saying it's BS!

Ray

Comment

hey hey can I have your autograph?

sure if you buy tickets to my fight

Comment

I think they get a cut of the sales. That's some extra cash. Can't knock a guy for being on his hustle

Comment

Heard on an interview with a boxer out of Miami last week that some promoters were not paying boxers anything, they just gave them tickets to sell and that was all.

Comment

Working...
          X