No announcement yet.

Ward beating Kovalev should move him back to #1 P4P

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by i got the keys View Post
    He gets a bit of a pass because he was moving up, but it was a good, competitive fight...
    Did you see his face after the fight? Did you hear him say that he started to think about his families well-being? Dude was whipped, and we shouldn't have to give him any passes just because he's a lil fella, with great rankings come great expectations, and he did not deliver.
    Last edited by frantic fighter; 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
      Its the best win no doubt.... but how do top a guy that's been actively climbing weights fighting top competition winning lineal and beating top #1-#2. in his division? since 2008. Ward is going on his third weight ( second one that he might become world champion ) Kovalev has been @175 all his career and only started fighting the best three years ago ; both guys are older and Kovalev is just taking on someone who is a real threat to his reign at 33 and when was the last time anyone of these guys fought a lineal champion? because Stevenson is still THE MAN ( right I know Ward became lineal but its not the same -- he establish a new linage)....now Ward has been inactive, his last meaningful fight was 2012!!!. Ward-Kovalev winner is a better look for the casuals every-time Gonzalez is mention they talk about his size....you know its just public perception when you really weigh things as if you never seen these guys in your life and look at the accomplishments its clear who the P4P really is.

But ugh....WAR S.O.G America rules supreme.
      I feel where you coming from....

I say because Ward cleared out all top level competition at 160...but Gonzalez has essentially done the same at his weight...

I guess the heavier weights get more merit....

Maybe people hold higher weight comp to a higher standard compared to getting down below the 120s...

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        and what top level comp has he fought the last five years?
        C'mon...you know what's up....

Comment

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
          Did you see his face after the fight? Did you hear him say that he started to think about his families well-being? Dude was whipped, and we should have to give him any passes just because he's a lil fella, with great rankings come great expectations, and he did not deliver.
          I feel you, but that just shows that he faces a really tough opponent and he had to grind it out. That should hold face value. Is more speaks to how good his opponent was....

Comment

I feel where you coming from....

I say because Ward cleared out all top level competition at 160...but Gonzalez has essentially done the same at his weight...

I guess the heavier weights get more merit....

Maybe people hold higher weight comp to a higher standard compared to getting down below the 120s...
            You think? have you read the comments? -- midget,dwarf ; weight the size of a little girl.

Edit: the lower weights are held to a higher standards in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
              You think? have you read the comments? -- midget,dwarf ; weight the size of a little girl.

Edit: the lower weights are held to a higher standards in reality.
              Can't take those cats serious....

I think Gonzalez definitely deserves the recognition he's been getting...regardless of weight....

Comment

I feel you, but that just shows that he faces a really tough opponent and he had to grind it out. That should hold face value. Is more speaks to how good his opponent was....
                I'm not saying that Caudras isn't a very good fighter,but the fact remains that he wasn't number one in his division,much less a top ten p4p caliber fighter. Most people reasonably expect to see dominance from the best fighter in the world and that isn't what we were able to see. You could even argue that he deserved to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
                  I'm not saying that Caudras isn't a very good fighter,but the fact remains that he wasn't number one in his division,much less a top ten p4p caliber fighter. Most people reasonably expect to see dominance from the best fighter in the world and that isn't what we were able to see. You could even argue that he deserved to lose.
                  Hey, I respect your stance. Maybe the surrounding divisions are starting to catch up with him. Or maybe he's showing a sign of possible decline or at least fatigue. If they do this rematch we'll see if he dominates or if it's another close fight. I think we'll get a clear indication then on which direction Gonzalez is headed.

Comment

Can't take those cats serious....

I think Gonzalez definitely deserves the recognition he's been getting...regardless of weight....
                    If people are fair unbiased -- lets apply the same logic to RG lets say the roles were reserved his last meaningful fight was five years ago...and hes been fighting OK talent on his return and he decided to go for a champion @ 118 at the age of 32...even with : five weights, lineal ,p4p on his resume they wont give it to him. OR put him in Sergeys position : you just started to beat top level and elite fighters becoming unified champion @ 33 and now beat a guy coming up in weight who hasnt beat anyone credible or elite in five years....you know what they will say? this little dwarf is a hype-job hes beating up light-flyweights! and the best win of his career was at almost 34 years old!!! RG would get roasted!
                    Last edited by 1hourRun; 10-18-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X