No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daniel Jacobs HBO Special To Debut on November 4

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daniel Jacobs HBO Special To Debut on November 4

HBO Sports, widely acclaimed for its innovative boxing programming, takes an in-depth look at Daniel Jacobs, one of the sport's true superstars in and out of the ring, as he makes his return in November in the talent-rich 160 pound division against undefeated middleweight Luis Arias, when MY FIGHT: DANIEL JACOBS debuts SATURDAY, NOV. 4 at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT following the prime time replay of the HBO BOXING AFTER DARK telecast from Monte Carlo.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I just hope he doesn't waste his prime chasing Canelo and Golovkin. He has had many fights at super middle. I'd give him a good chance to beat good names there if the money fights don't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
      I just hope he doesn't waste his prime chasing Canelo and Golovkin. He has had many fights at super middle. I'd give him a good chance to beat good names there if the money fights don't happen.
      What?!? Those are two fights that have to happen in the middleweight division.

Comment

I feel like if HBO's whole strategy with Jacobs is, "his cancer story hasn't been told enough," then they are doing this wrong. I feel like both HBO and Showtime have each told his cancer story about 10 different times, each. It's pretty much all they focus on. Another documentary about that isn't what is needed to boost his profile. What is needed is show charismatic aspects of his personality, maybe his likable kid, and most of all, to get him in more than one top-level fight every decade. Get him in fights against the likes of Lemieux, Deryvanchenko, Charlo, Hurd, Eubank, etc, and then he will be more popular. And most importantly, if Jacobs is truly willing to take on all comers now, then they have to advertise that. One of the reasons he wasn't popular in the past is because it seemed like he was ducking GGG, and like most Haymon fighters he seemed in the background, in no rush to fight anyone good. You didn't hear him call anyone out until Quillin. You didn't see any desire to be the best. He even said he wasn't ready for GGG yet. What kind of boxer expects to gain a big fan base if instead of challenging the champ to fight on the street corner, as Ali did to Frazier, their attitude is "I'm not even ready to fight him in the ring with gloves on yet, let alone the street corner."

Props to Jacobs for being honest about that, but the reality that he wasn't ready to challenge the elite of boxing meant he himself was not elite, or at least did not view himself as such, and therefore he was never going to attract as many fans as elite boxers do. So if that's changed now that GGG is old or Jacobs feels more comfortable or whatever it is, then advertise the change. Talk about how Jacobs is not only willing to, but WANTS to, fight any of the best guys at 160, and then back that up by making the fights as soon as possible, one after the other, with the only hold-back being that they MUST also leave enough time between fights for the brain to heal and all that. So maybe cut out the tuneup fights, and cut down on the sparring, or make the sparring safer with new technology that cushions the head more or whatever, and then use all that cutdown in damage from stuff fans dont care about, like sparring and needless tuneups, to ramp up the stuff that does gain fans, which is the elite-level dangerous fights. Then, he will gain fans, just like Pacquiao did after he fought Morales, Marquez, Cotto and Margarito. That's what it takes, not retelling his cancer story again and again.
        Last edited by Boxing Logic; 10-16-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
          What?!? Those are two fights that have to happen in the middleweight division.
          And if he gets ducked?

Comment

one of the sports true superstars is that what a close-ish fight against golovkin makes somebody? ive never known someone get so much credit for getting dropped and losing a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
              one of the sports true superstars is that what a close-ish fight against golovkin makes somebody? ive never known someone get so much credit for getting dropped and losing a fight.
              Yeah i like Jacobs but that Quillin win doesnt look so good anymore.

Comment

there are a bunch of really good fights there at middle. saunders-lemiex winner, charlo, dereychenko, murata-ndam winner. we know canelo-ggg rematch is in may so he better fight one of those guys instead of sitting back wailing on bums and waiting for someone to fight him simply because he lost to ggg. street cred!
                Last edited by daggum; 10-16-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                  Now that he signed with Hearn and went to HBO, people are calling him an elite star at MW. If he was with PBC, they would still be talking about him beating no one and getting KOd by Pirog

Comment

I always wished that Eubank Jr. fight happened

Comment

Working...
                    X