No announcement yet.

Garage Gym set up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Gym set up

Been a fan of boxing for a long while only started to actually train a couple months ago and it has changed my life and the way I watch the sport!

So now I'm trying to convert a space in my house to a training area for when I can't make it to the club/gym. Looking to section off about 100 square feet of my garage for my set up.

How much square footage would you guys suggest I allocate for my heavy bag? I've read 64 square feet (8'x8) but my space is a little limited so not sure if 7'x7' or even 6'x6' would be enough?

I did the garage thing for a while, but once I had a new place I actually converted an entire room. But I don't have a normal heavy bag. I have the rubber guy where you fill the bottom with water.

Comment

I've considered getting a "Bob" but I heard they weren't very stable and shifted around too much? Do you have the same issue?

I tried to convince my wife to let me convert the whole basement to my training area...but I'm setting up in the garage so I guess you know how that went...

Comment

I set up a 12x12 area for my heavy bag, this feels good for me, let's me move in and out/around without running out of space. Any less than 10x10 would feel very cramped to me.
        Last edited by JonnyM; 09-22-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyM View Post
          I set up a 12x12 area for my heavy bag, this feels good for me, let's me move in and out/around without running out of space. Any less than 10x10 would feel very cramped to me.
          I remember watching a video years ago where some guy was literally cramped in a closet and punching away at a heavy bag with barely any room to move

Comment

12x12 or even 10x10 would be amazing...unfortunately I don't think I have that much space. 8x8 is the max I can probably go without taking up parking space for my car!

Comment

Originally posted by big.daddy.allan View Post
              12x12 or even 10x10 would be amazing...unfortunately I don't think I have that much space. 8x8 is the max I can probably go without taking up parking space for my car!
              How is the weather by you? Ive seen people do backyard setups before.

Comment

It's all about priorities...lol. My vehicles stay outside in -30 all winter so I can have the garage for boxing and woodworking. I have a fuel oil furnace in the garage so I can train year round.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  How is the weather by you? Ive seen people do backyard setups before.
                  I'm up in Canada...backyard set ups are amazing. Training in fresh air is a great feeling

It's all about priorities...lol. My vehicles stay outside in -30 all winter so I can have the garage for boxing and woodworking. I have a fuel oil furnace in the garage so I can train year round.
                  Haha, wish I had that choice but the wife vetoed turning the whole garage into my training space!

Comment

Working...
                  X