Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one go about becoming a ref or judge for sanctioned matches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one go about becoming a ref or judge for sanctioned matches?

I wouldn't mind living off being a ref or a judge one day, maybe not a judge, but yeah.

Has anyone ever ref'd or judged matches? I don't think you would need any type of degree would you?

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
    I wouldn't mind living off being a ref or a judge one day, maybe not a judge, but yeah.

Has anyone ever ref'd or judged matches? I don't think you would need any type of degree would you?
    lol, you will not make anywhere close to a living off being a ref or a judge until you pay your dues or get noticed by the higher ups.

I reffed the amateurs for about 7 years after fighting for about 12. Took my test with The Association of Boxing Commisions (ABC Unified) and passed that to start reffing the pros. I suffered a stroke though so thats gone now.

I have the salary per bout sheet somewhere, it depends on the purse of the bout as to how much you are paid.

You don't jump into boxing for the money, you jump in because you love it. The money is just the gravy...........Rockin'

Comment

You won't make a living from it.

Look for your national amateur commission, and they'll have a process you need to follow to get you started. It usually requires a test, usually practical, then some practice experience. You'll need a fair few years amateur experience before you go up to to professional level, if it ever happens.

For sanctioned fights, you need the experience. Once you have a respectable reffing/judging experience, you can send an application along with references to a professional commission. If accepted, you should join and start paying your dues (membership fees) for a sanctioning body, and they'll give you assignments as well as possible assignments from the commission. In a lot of cases, judges are usually members of a certain sanctioning body (i.e IBF-only refs and judges). From here, you see what is available.

Also, it is not unusual for an sanctioning body to "request" a portion of your pay to go towards their version of a Boxer's pension fund. I know the IBF do this, and I think it's a pretty good idea. You usually get reimbursed for expenses, though it's up to you to pay for everything before that. The pay isn't great.

Takes a LONG time for it to take off. You are much better off starting in Europe than you are in the US. More ways to get into the system (so many different national, local boxing commissions)

Comment

Ehh, it wasn't about the money but it woulda been cool if it coulda been yknow? It would just be great because this being the only sport I watch and follow, a sport I love I would say. It would cool as **** to be apart of the fights and the fact you're the only guy who can say "Yeah I've been in the ring with Pacquiao, he didn't hit me once." Lol.

Comment

Start off in the amateurs they need many refs and judges cause it's all volunteer and hardly anybody wants to do it because of all the Fridays and Saturdays you will donate to the sport. They do give like $30 for gas money, You have to attend clinics though about the rules and regulations. Good luck

Comment

The most critical criteria has not yet been covered in this thread. In addition to years of experience in the amateurs you must be completely blind in at least one eye. You also need to be in massive financial debt in case a promoter would like to give you a donation to help you out.

Comment

Ehh, it wasn't about the money but it woulda been cool if it coulda been yknow? It would just be great because this being the only sport I watch and follow, a sport I love I would say. It would cool as **** to be apart of the fights and the fact you're the only guy who can say "Yeah I've been in the ring with Pacquiao, he didn't hit me once." Lol.
              find a gym near you, tell them your intentions and ask if you can just walk the ring while they spar. the club manager could tell you who to contact..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                The most critical criteria has not yet been covered in this thread. In addition to years of experience in the amateurs you must be completely blind in at least one eye. You also need to be in massive financial debt in case a promoter would like to give you a donation to help you out.
                that is an idiotic comment to say the least, karma sent..............Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 02-17-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I thought about that after i did my 20 years in the military.
                  That way I got that retirement and something to do that I'll enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    that is an idiotic comment to say the least, karma sent..............Rockin'
                    U seriously gave me red k over an obvious joke regarding bad decisions and robberies? Lighten up bro

Comment

Working...
                    X