Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of the boxing sanctioning bodies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of the boxing sanctioning bodies?

But the WBC simply ignored the legal rights of Dawson, who just so happened to pay the WBC nearly a seven-figure sum in sanctioning fees for four WBC light heavyweight title fights in 2007 and 2008, and two more interim WBC light heavyweight championship bouts in 2009 and 2010. Dawson’s willingness to play the WBC’s shady sanctioning game alone warranted better treatment from Jose Suilaman’s greedy group.

Instead, he could be forced to pay more money to combat WBC-concocted nonsense if Pascal tries to use the WBC’s mandate as an excuse to bypass the rematch Dawson is owed next, now that Pascal has taken one interim title defense. Gary Shaw, Dawson’s Totowa-N.J.-based promoter, hopes such a standoff isn’t necessary.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34511
    The relentless Toney got a lesson in courage and finesse from a cagey veteran who had held the WBA championship from 1989 until early December, when he was relieved of the title by the Panamanian family of boxing's alphabet mobsters. WBA officials had demanded that McCallum defend his title against Steve Collins, the challenger he had defeated in 1990.

"The WBA wanted $30,000 from McCallum's purse, plus a $35,000 exception fee for letting him fight Toney," said Chwasky. "We were going to go along with that. Then they came back and demanded we give Barney Eastwood, Collins's manager, another $50,000 for stepping aside. That's when we said no."

McCallum's purse for fighting Toney was $500,000, $50,000 more than the IBF champion received. The WBA's demands would have sliced McCallum's purse by $115,000. Instead of forking over, Chwasky took his case to Seth Abraham, president of Time Warner Sports, who backed McCallum against the WBA. Abraham assured Chwasky that the company's pay-per-view service, TVKO, would give McCallum his full purse even if the WBA stripped him of its title.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...0176/index.htm

Why would any fighter put up with this nonsense?

If anybody at all says that they think the sanctioning bodies add anything, I'll be shocked. They dilute and dumb down the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
      If anybody at all says that they think the sanctioning bodies add anything, I'll be shocked. They dilute and dumb down the sport.
      Off topic: thats one of the best sigs I've ever read. Hilarious

Comment

Sanctioning bodies are a disgrace to the way Boxing originally was. Both the Alphabet soup organizations and Don King need to be permanently removed from boxing.

WE NEED ONE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION.

Comment

What do I think of them?

Not much...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
            What do I think of them?

Not much...
            If you were to rank a fighter, what would their title defenses mean to you?

Comment

in the words of James Toney "WBC stands for We Be Crooks"
              and one i came up with on my own :WBA we be a$$holes
              WBU: We be unknown
              Last edited by DarkTerror88; 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                in the words of James Toney "WBC stands for We Be Crooks"
                and one i came up with on my own :WBA we be *******s
                WBU: We be unknown
                The Wbo, we dont even count that-James Toney

Comment

Those groups are parasites for the sport of boxing.

Comment

There is simply too much greed and politics involved with these different organisations which quite frankly, makes me want to puke. The sport lacks credibility when there can be 4 different recognised champions per 17 or so weight divisions - not to mention interim champs, super champs, regular champs etc

Then you have ridiculously high amounts of sanctioning fees which fighters may not want to pay, then this makes it even more difficult for an "Undisputed Champ" to arise. This is truly a sad state of affairs and I see no immediate change on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
                    X