Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Showtime allow Paulie to be a commentator for the fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Showtime allow Paulie to be a commentator for the fight?

Serious question. Even doe this isn't the court room, shouldn't he have to recuse himself? He's not a play by play guy, he's paid for his opinion and he obviously has tremendous animosity for one of the combatants. How can there be any expectation of impartiality?

What do you guys think?

He commentated for the Broner/Maidana fight so I doubt they'll drop him.

Comment

who ****ing cares?? why are ya'll so caught up with Paulie ****ing Mallinagii?

Comment

Originally posted by SintilatingDTS View Post
        Serious question. Even doe this isn't the court room, shouldn't he have to recuse himself? He's not a play by play guy, and he obviously has tremendous animosity for one of the combatants. How can there be any expectation of impartiality?

What do you guys think?
        His job isn't really to be impartial though, he's there to analyse and detail the fight as he see's it unfolding from a technical point of view. It would be worse if he was the play by play guy because his bias could make him like Lampley used to be with Pacquiao and start shouting "BANG, BANG" for shots that were landing on gloves and just ignoring the other guys work and basically influencing the average viewer watching.

Comment

Yea I was thinking this was weird when he was just going to be a sparring partner so yea now when there is a whole Conor vs Paulie thing it seems even weirder to me. Don't expect them to drop Paulie for this show cuz boxing never wants to shake up anything, but I see the reasoning for him not being involved with the show as there could be argued there is a conflict of interest going on.

Plus at this point even as a guy who thought this was interesting at first the story should be over & I KNOW we will be hearing more about sparring the night of the fight which will hold little point to what is going on except placate Paulie's ego.

And I'm a Paulie fan, but this sh^t is getting old & uncomfortable lol.

Comment

I think he's fine to work the fight. Don't see any issue there...

Comment

Serious question. Even doe this isn't the court room, shouldn't he have to recuse himself? He's not a play by play guy, he's paid for his opinion and he obviously has tremendous animosity for one of the combatants. How can there be any expectation of impartiality?

What do you guys think?
              Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant openly loathed Floyd, and that never put their jobs in jeopardy (HBO didn't seem to like Floyd either, so there's that).

Paulie is there to break down the action and call what he's seeing in the ring; I don't see how his feelings for Conor will affect that

Comment

course he shouldnt

if anyone thinks he can be objective is dumb or a paulie fanboy or a floyd fanboy who wants a floyd fan commentating,

Comment

What do you guys think?
                  Good point. Seems like a conflict of interest. BTW, different sport, I Know, but I Said the same thing when I saw on ESPN, John Mcenroe commenting on a match of someone who he was an active coach of. Conflict of interest, broadcasts should be neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                    who ****ing cares?? why are ya'll so caught up with Paulie ****ing Mallinagii?
                    Because he's not bowing down to their great white hope

Comment

Working...
                    X