No announcement yet.

Private Lessons - Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Lessons - Help

I have been looking around at boxing gyms. I called this one gym and he told me that how he does it is that he gives one on one private lessons once a week. I thought it was too little and asked him and he was very confident and said that was more than enough. When I asked him about the price he would not tell me. He insisted that I go over and see the gym first.

I went over yesterday and there was a wall full of pictures of fighters that he has produced over the years. He has trained guys who have gone to the olympics to guys who won golden gloves to amateurs, pros etc. Basically there is a lot of history and he's got a lot to show for it.
    When I asked him the price he said it's not cheap, but if you can afford it I am worth it. He's very confident. He's asking for $1150 for 6 months. It's going to be one lesson/week. Once he thinks I'm good enough to Spar he will add another day of the week for sparring. He said on the other days twice a week I want you to run, once a week lift, and the rest of the days enjoy yourself.

The place is nothing fancy, but it's got everything you need. I have no doubt about his training ability. My main concern is the price. Since there is no set price structure, and he does not give the price on the phone even after I insisted, I kind of feel he gives the price after judging the person. So he might charge others way less depending on how he perceives them.
    I told him I will think about him and give him a call. But the thing is that in all honesty I have looked everywhere and this guy seems by far the best. He knows what he is talking about and he is very very confident. He has plenty to show for his ability.
    I am very interested in taking lessons with him, but I don't want to get ripped off. I will go tomorrow and speak with him. Is there a price you think I should ask for? Any one with experience or knowledge in this area, please give me feedback. I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

That's almost $200 a month. I say forget about it. You're paying $50 for a training session. I pay a little over that a month and I train 4-5 days a week. One thing you can do is go in there and just tell him you don't have that kind of money and try to talk him down a bit.

If not, then forget about it. Especially if this is your first time going to a gym.

Comment

Originally posted by austinlarg View Post
      That's almost $200 a month. I say forget about it. You're paying $50 for a training session. I pay a little over that a month and I train 4-5 days a week. One thing you can do is go in there and just tell him you don't have that kind of money and try to talk him down a bit.

If not, then forget about it. Especially if this is your first time going to a gym.
      It is not my first time. I have a been boxing for about 4 months. I am not a total beginner but I am at the very basic level.

Comment

4 months? Don't do it haha.

If it were me, then I'd just find another one. Unless you have that kind of money.

Comment

so he trains fighter twice a week and they become successful? anyway it sounds too expensive if it was me.
          Last edited by lilevil; 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

$200/month for one and then when you get good enough to spar, two days per week?? I can't say it's not worth it because I don't know who the trainer is, but I'm sure you can find a much more reasonably priced gym that you will still get great training at.

I pay $60 per month at a gym that is open six, or sometimes seven days per week. I can train as much as I want. We don't have a ton of boxers there's plenty of one on one instruction time with the trainers.

Keep looking imo.

Comment

im voting for keep looking as well. 200 a month is alot for just one day a week. see if you can find something under 100, that is a common price. Freddie Roach only charges 50 dollars a month to train at his gym but i know you dont get to train with freddie, you probably just train yourself there or he has some trainers (if anyone can comment please do so). But yea try to find something else, or tell him you cant pay that much.

Comment

Working...
              X