No announcement yet.

Who should GGG fight on May 5th?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
    please link me where derevyanchenko and dibella said they want more money?

this is the 1st I heard of this.....
    There was an article here that showed Sergei D. turning down 250k for an Andrade fight because he had been offered 400k originally in December. How much would he demand for a short notice fight against GGG? He would demand more than the 400k he was originally offered for Andrade. And with GGG's pay there is no way that fight is profitable on a short notice non-ppv fight. Its just logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      Depends which 'entire time' you're refering to, but certainly things started going downhill IMO the moment team GGG seems to have become fixated on securing a Canelo/Cotto fight at almost any cost. Should have just forced Cotto to drop the strap (or fight) back in early '15 and moved on with his career. Should have fought Saunders at the earliest opportunity. Should have just got on with making the best fights available at any given time.

Of course, the temptations are obvious, and I can't exactly blame GGG for looking for the paydays any more than I would another fighter for doing the same, but effectively putting himself at the mercy of other fighters' whims has ultimately proved harmful for his career IMO. Hindsight's a wonderful thing though, and of course we've no way of knowing how things might have worked out otherwise - and anyway I suspect Golovkin's accountant may not agree with me.
      the entire time he was saying anyone from 154-168

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
        WTF with this credibility bull*****. People here don't understand that boxing is a business and GGG's promoters aren't going to put on an event guaranteed to lose money just to keep GGG busy. That is why these no names (that Mexican welterweight), has beens (Vanes Mater"whatever the **** his name is) and never was (Irish guy who looks like Snidely Whiplash). Andrade and Sergei D. would want so much money that the fight would need to be on PPV to even have a chance of being successful but they aren't PPV draws. GGG would be lucky if that fight would earn the low 150k buys that the Lemieux fight earned since both guys are less popular than Lemieux was at the time.

GGG's team is trying to recover from a relatively last minute cancelation of a fight they have been preparing for. They are trying to get him to fight the best possible opponent under very trying circumstances (short notice, low cash offer). Its not easy.
        Understood. You'd have to have followed a number of my posts on the matter to get where I'm coming from. Essentially there is no longer any hope of securing a decent opponent for May 5th and I don't much care either way if Golovkin manages to find a third rate opponent to stay busy and possibly cover his camp costs on that date.

What I'm talking about is what happens after, and from my perspective that needs to be taking care of business... mandos and unification. Canelo may or may not make overtures when his suspension is up but TBH that fight can no longer be counted on to happen and Golovkin has already wasted far too long waiting on the Ginger. Long past time to cut his losses IMO.

Comment

the entire time he was saying anyone from 154-168
          I'd have to disagree then. I believe the statement was probably sincere when he first restarted his career in the US. Certainly taken in it's full context 'Open to offers from anyone from 154 - 168' and 'willing to move up or down for the right fight'.

In fact taken literally it's almost impossible that it wasn't since basically every fighter is 'open to offers' from fighters in the surrounding divisions and every fighter would move up or down for the 'right fight'. What's mystifying to me is how such a banal statement has become the subject of such heated debate.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
            There was an article here that showed Sergei D. turning down 250k for an Andrade fight because he had been offered 400k originally in December. How much would he demand for a short notice fight against GGG? He would demand more than the 400k he was originally offered for Andrade. And with GGG's pay there is no way that fight is profitable on a short notice non-ppv fight. Its just logic.
            does andrade have a belt at 160?

does ggg have a belt at 160?

please show me link where derevyanchenko and dibella stated they wanted more money for the ggg fight when they clearly know its a mando

Comment

I'd have to disagree then. I believe the statement was probably sincere when he first restarted his career in the US. Certainly taken in it's full context 'Open to offers from anyone from 154 - 168' and 'willing to move up or down for the right fight'.

In fact taken literally it's almost impossible that it wasn't since basically every fighter is 'open to offers' from fighters in the surrounding divisions and every fighter would move up or down for the 'right fight'. What's mystifying to me is how such a banal statement has become the subject of such heated debate.
              but hes never done it....

he said anyone from 154-168 but everyone hes fought was at 160 and against guys moving up from 154 and fighting them at 160

Comment

but hes never done it....

he said anyone from 154-168 but everyone hes fought was at 160 and against guys moving up from 154 and fighting them at 160
                Indeed. It's not a good look but it also doesn't mean he wouldn't have been willing to if the 'right fight' had been in another division - I'm pretty damn sure he would have faced JCC Jr or maybe even Froch for a few $mil if the negotiations with either had come through. Before he started making some noise and $s of his own I suspect he would even have fought Ward at 168 or a catchweight.

Like I say though IMO the problems began when he got the scent of those Cotto / Canelo $s. Since then all other considerations and opportunities became secondary, even when it started to look increasingly like he was being given the run around.

Comment

I'd prefer Golovkin to fight Derevyanchenko. That's his mandatory and it's a solid fight for the short notice and if you still want to salvage the big fight date. Another opponent I'd be surprised if they picked him would be Gilberto Ramirez. If Golovkin is going towards cementing his legacy a fight with Zurdo for a world title at 168 would be great.

Comment

Indeed. It's not a good look but it also doesn't mean he wouldn't have been willing to if the 'right fight' had been in another division - I'm pretty damn sure he would have faced JCC Jr or maybe even Froch for a few $mil if the negotiations with either had come through. Before he started making some noise and $s of his own I suspect he would even have fought Ward at 168 or a catchweight.

Like I say though IMO the problems began when he got the scent of those Cotto / Canelo $s. Since then all other considerations and opportunities became secondary, even when it started to look increasingly like he was being given the run around.
                    yup yup.....

Comment

Saunders and Charlo are not realistic for May 5th, they have fights lined up...so Derevyanchenko gets my vote

Comment

Working...
                      X