No announcement yet.

Wilder only weighed 9 lbs more than a prime Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    Wilder beats 39 bums and 1 50 year old man so people say he beats Joe Louis.

Marciano beats atgs Ezzard Charles, Joe Walcott, Archie Moore, and a very past prime Joe Louis so people say he's overrated.

Wtf.
    I saw an interview with Holmes once, where he said today's heavyweight are so big and athletic that he could see them destroying fighters of the past or possibly getting destroyed. He saw it 50-50 either way.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      I saw an interview with Holmes once, where he said today's heavyweight are so big and athletic that he could see them destroying fighters of the past or possibly getting destroyed. He saw it 50-50 either way.
      The big guys were such good athletes Larry thought they might get destroyed, eh? I think 6'3" will always be tall enough, and 215-220 will always be heavy enough.

There is no reason ATG heavyweights outweighed by 50-60 lbs. cannot KO their massive opponents just because fighters from other divisions cannot do it. Ahem! Well, er...uh,

I say a man 7'9" tall with the speed of Willie Pep is going to be hard for Marciano to handle. Where am I going wrong?

Comment

wilder was sick in the lead up to this fight. stomach bug, AKA furious vomiting and sh#ts.

i had the same thing twice this year, almost had to go to the hospital because i couldn't even drink water for about 36 hours.

wilder used to come in at 228ish on the nose for his fights. he's also, what, six inches taller than joe louis? 8 inches of reach? cmon dude, these guys are not the same size. don't picka fight where a guy is sick and say, "oh, he's only 9 lbs bigger." wilder would absolutely dwarf louis if they stood next to each other. he'd have you saying, "oh, so he is that much bigger."

and yes, louis knocks him out. of course he knocks him out.

but that doesn't mean wilder is not a talented guy. he made the olympics with only a few dozen fights. got to the pinnacle of achievement and earnings at HW having hardly any boxing skills to speak of. that's because he's fast, 6'7" tall, has seven entire feet of reach, and hits as hard as anybody i have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          and he is 6 ft 7.

Louis is too small? Once again - being in shape doesn't mean you are small.

Wilder certainly looked bigger than fat boy Ortiz. hell, even Toney clocked in at 255 at one point for all the size kings.

Louis koed dudes as big as Wilder or even bigger, only weighs 9 lbs less (in his prime) yet he is too small for todays HW's lol
          People who live in a modern era typically think the people who live now would easily defeat those of the past.

Problem is, people don’t realize that people have been around for over 100 thousand years...

Comment

Wilder is a driven, hard right hand puncher. Aside from that right hand power and grit he offers little else. He needs a good trainer to teach him boxing basics. Otherwise the lack of true boxing ability will eventually catch up to him. This nearly occurred vs Ortiz.

Comment

He would Dwarf Louis in height. But not in size. Wilder is very slim and Wirey. He isn't massively boned like Primo Carnera. I bet Louis' head is bigger than Wilders, his Legs are definently twice as Sturdy.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                wilder was sick in the lead up to this fight. stomach bug, AKA furious vomiting and sh#ts.

i had the same thing twice this year, almost had to go to the hospital because i couldn't even drink water for about 36 hours.

wilder used to come in at 228ish on the nose for his fights. he's also, what, six inches taller than joe louis? 8 inches of reach? cmon dude, these guys are not the same size. don't picka fight where a guy is sick and say, "oh, he's only 9 lbs bigger." wilder would absolutely dwarf louis if they stood next to each other. he'd have you saying, "oh, so he is that much bigger."

and yes, louis knocks him out. of course he knocks him out.

but that doesn't mean wilder is not a talented guy. he made the olympics with only a few dozen fights. got to the pinnacle of achievement and earnings at HW having hardly any boxing skills to speak of. that's because he's fast, 6'7" tall, has seven entire feet of reach, and hits as hard as anybody i have ever seen.
                I see your point and I do agree. But at the same time it is good for modern fans to see that sometimes its not all about weight, its about how your body is put together, especially at HW. Wilder is slightly bigger naturally than Louis, though if you take it based on age then I bet there isnt that much difference, Wilder was a 200lber in the Ams, and now in his early 30's he generally weighs in 220 and under for his big fights. So he is comparable in size to a HW from 70 years ago, and he has the best power in the division and a much better chin than people gave him credit for, plus the speed that comes with being so light. He isnt even a good boxer really, and he has made it to being at least the second best HW in the world, with a good shot at beating the current no.1.

Basically, its good evidence for what most of us in here know, that if you put guys like Louis and Ali, elite smaller HWs in the ring with a 250lber, they will be ok. Just cos they are light doesn't mean they will be smashed to bits and taken out.

Comment

Wilder is a tremendous athlete and physical speciman. His weight for Ortiz was a clear indication to me that Wilder who stands 6'7''. does not use steroids or PEDs unlike Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield, Lewis, Klitschkos, Joshua, Morrison, Moorer, all use steroids during their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dicko View Post
                    Wilder is a tremendous athlete and physical speciman. His weight for Ortiz was a clear indication to me that Wilder who stands 6'7''. does not use steroids or PEDs unlike Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield, Lewis, Klitschkos, Joshua, Morrison, Moorer, all use steroids during their careers.
                    Lewis? He was pretty heavy and out of shape towards the end.

Comment

Lewis was a steroid abuser from when he lost to McCall back in 94

Comment

Working...
                      X