Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Driving Factor Behind Supporting a Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple: If they fight the best competition I am a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
      Simple: If they fight the best competition I am a fan.
      Out of curiosity's sake- who is that now? Because as Floyd arguably made business decisions instead of clearing out every division he fought in, I think most fighters have realized fickle fans appreciate unblemished records, and KOs above all else.

So most guys now seem to make tactical decisions on who to fight and when, unless they're desperate and chasing paydays.

What top boxer do you feel only fights the top challengers?

Comment

Originally posted by Njord777 View Post
        Out of curiosity's sake- who is that now? Because as Floyd arguably made business decisions instead of clearing out every division he fought in, I think most fighters have realized fickle fans appreciate unblemished records, and KOs above all else.

So most guys now seem to make tactical decisions on who to fight and when, unless they're desperate and chasing paydays.

What top boxer do you feel only fights the top challengers?
        Do not misquote me, I am not talking about fighting "only the top challengers" no one has done that. I'm talking about having the best names (in their best forms) on their resume at some point. Every fighter in history has made "tactical" decisions to benefit their career. I am not blind to the fact that fighters want to get paid.

This era, however, has seen this eclipse the desire to be the best. Cold wars, uncontrolled fanboyism, paper titles, etc have contributed as you pointed out.

But no matter what Haymon groupies will tell you, the sport was built on the best fighting the best not a fighter's purse. I'm hoping we can get back to that one day. There is room for money and competition.

As to your question I think Cotto has the closest thing to a true ATG resume. Indeed he has lost but his level of comp is excellent. BHOP has also been fighting tough comp his entire life. Froch and Ward also have great resumes (although ward is letting inactivity sour his). Canelo is also building a nice resume.

I will never include Pac or Floyd because they did not fight each other.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
          Do not misquote me, I am not talking about fighting "only the top challengers" no one has done that. I'm talking about having the best names (in their best forms) on their resume at some point. Every fighter in history has made "tactical" decisions to benefit their career. I am not blind to the fact that fighters want to get paid.

This era, however, has seen this eclipse the desire to be the best. Cold wars, uncontrolled fanboyism, paper titles, etc have contributed as you pointed out.

But no matter what Haymon groupies will tell you, the sport was built on the best fighting the best not a fighter's purse. I'm hoping we can get back to that one day. There is room for money and competition.

As to your question I think Cotto has the closest thing to a true ATG resume. Indeed he has lost but his level of comp is excellent. BHOP has also been fighting tough comp his entire life. Froch and Ward also have great resumes (although ward is letting inactivity sour his). Canelo is also building a nice resume.

I will never include Pac or Floyd because they did not fight each other.
          I wasn't quoting you, I was attempting to rehash what I thought your point was, but I see you corrected that. Just starting conversation.

I agree with your view and back what you're saying about Cotto, Froch, Hopkins - Ward I'm not sold on yet, and Canelo is a baby so I can't say if he'll keep it up...but those other guys are absolutely warriors with their resumes.

Comment

I wasn't quoting you, I was attempting to rehash what I thought your point was, but I see you corrected that. Just starting conversation.

I agree with your view and back what you're saying about Cotto, Froch, Hopkins - Ward I'm not sold on yet, and Canelo is a baby so I can't say if he'll keep it up...but those other guys are absolutely warriors with their resumes.
            Cinnabon is a baby but lets not forget he was scheduled to fight Punisher and then Kirkland before the little Jose sideshow. He's followed that up with Floyd, Trout, Angulo and now Lara. The Gomez and old mosley days seem to be long gone. its a legit, impressive string of opponents.

Comment

It's interesting because this question can help to explain how passionately illogical so many of us can be. Are you a fan of a fighter because of the objective nature of his fighting style, and in-ring resume, or is it something else; nationality, personality, etc.

It makes sense that guys here use emotion over logic in their arguments and analyzing fights if the reason they like a boxer comes from a place of emotion rather than simple appreciation for their boxing style.
              Drop the intellectual act, Einstein.

Comment

Heart & skill (style, technique.)

Comment

Originally posted by Renal Colic View Post
                  Drop the intellectual act, Einstein.
                  You're right I shouldn't use my brain to discuss boxing. That's what my butthole is for.

Stupid me.

Comment

You're right I shouldn't use my brain to discuss boxing. That's what my butthole is for.

Stupid me.
                    Please bless us all with another breakdown on why our reasons to like fighters are wrong and yours are right. It was so enjoyable last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Renal Colic View Post
                      Please bless us all with another breakdown on why our reasons to like fighters are wrong and yours are right. It was so enjoyable last time.
                      Seeing as I've had a meaningful discussion with other guys in this thread, I'm going to assume you're an insecure man who happens to fall into the fanatic mentality, which suggests you're going to ramp this discussion up devoid of the logic I suggested we try and use before.

If you're not, and you're just a fan of boxing, what's the beef? Nothing I said should incense you. I said we all have favorites but abandoning logic for emotion is ignorant.

And I hate to say you're seeming a tad ignorant presently.

Comment

Working...
                      X