Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between an infighter, swarmer, and pressure fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    pressure fighter Jake LaMotta

swarmer Julio Cesar Chavez

Many swarmers are inside fighters
    Lol no.

Chavez was an elite technical pressure fighter. He had a sublime defense and was very economical with punches.

Comment

Infighting- skills on the inside, slip and roll punches inside

Swarmer- high volume, throws a lot of punches and tries to overwhelm opponent

Pressure- consistent coming forward, cutting off the ring, can sometimes be methodical but always hunting down and trapping prey

Infighting would be a guy like toney.. He can sit inside but isn't a high volume swarmer or an intense pressure guy

Swarmer would be an aaron pryor, Henry Armstrong, kassim ouma

Pressure are guys that are always stalking like margarito, Golovkin, trinidad

Obviously guys will have some of these traits combined

Comment

Since there have been so many good responses here is another way to look at it for shizzles and giggles:

1) While one can be an infighter its not generally a style so much as a set of skills. We say that bernard hopkins and Andrey Ward fight very well inside we dont call them "infighters."

2) A swarmer and a pressure fighter are styles. We call a guy like Holyfield a boxer puncher who is a swarmer for example. Swarmer and pressure fighter can be used interchangably, but a swarmer is more a volume puncher while a pressure fighter is more a type of mover...and it can't be stressed enough that these two can be very interchangable.

For example: margarito is a classic pressure fighter who is also a swarmer. Froch to me is more of a pressure fighter who swarms....Its hard to find in this day and age a pure swarmer. nobdy comes to mind for me.

Comment

The functions are necessary only one way: All swarmers are pressure fighters, but all pressure fighters are not swarmers.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            pressure fighter Jake LaMotta

swarmer Julio Cesar Chavez

Many swarmers are inside fighters
            No, Chavez was not a swarmer he was a pressure fighter who few could match inside. He was very economical
            With his punches. A swarmer is like a jake lamotta, or modern day example Shawn porter. Very physical in the inside hits holds etc, smothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brickfist View Post
              Lol no.

Chavez was an elite technical pressure fighter. He had a sublime defense and was very economical with punches.
              Sorry didn't see this reply I said the exact same thing. Definitely not a swarmer

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Since there have been so many good responses here is another way to look at it for shizzles and giggles:

1) While one can be an infighter its not generally a style so much as a set of skills. We say that bernard hopkins and Andrey Ward fight very well inside we dont call them "infighters."

2) A swarmer and a pressure fighter are styles. We call a guy like Holyfield a boxer puncher who is a swarmer for example. Swarmer and pressure fighter can be used interchangably, but a swarmer is more a volume puncher while a pressure fighter is more a type of mover...and it can't be stressed enough that these two can be very interchangable.

For example: margarito is a classic pressure fighter who is also a swarmer. Froch to me is more of a pressure fighter who swarms....Its hard to find in this day and age a pure swarmer. nobdy comes to mind for me.
                How about Paul Williams in recent history? Other than big punchers, I would say swarmers/high volume punchers would be another style I like watching in boxing. They keep the action going.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  How about Paul Williams in recent history? Other than big punchers, I would say swarmers/high volume punchers would be another style I like watching in boxing. They keep the action going.
                  I have not analyzed Williams enough to categorize him but it sounds like what has been said it makes sense....For me the archetypical swarmer today would be bradley. They are guys that beat you up with activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    I have not analyzed Williams enough to categorize him but it sounds like what has been said it makes sense....For me the archetypical swarmer today would be bradley. They are guys that beat you up with activity.
                    Paul Williams was definitely a swarmer... He had an unreal workrate, 100 punches a round, nearly every round, in nearly every fight.. Though a great deal of them were arm punches with very little power

Comment

Working...
                    X