Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DeGale, Badou Jack Trade Knockdowns - Fight To a Majority Draw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was a great night of fights from the undercard on Showtime Extreme to the main event.

I am ok with a draw but happy to rewatch it and maybe change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
      113-113 is fine, but 114-112 DeGale is not. If anybody deserved the 114-112 nod, it was Jack.
      That's my impression also. Far greater damage was done to DeGale. Notice how he did his best to avoid a camera-front view of his face during the post-fight interview, and after having seen the pic posted in this thread, I can see why. He was also lisping heavily from that missing tooth.

I'd say get rid of the 10-point-must rule and only give points for clearly dominant rounds. That reduces the likelihood of controversial scores due to swing points derived from inconsequential rounds. Using that criterion, the two knockdowns cancel each other, and Jack wins 2 rounds to 1.

Comment

• I tell you what... there were more Team Chunky fans in the arena last night and even they saw the fight for Jack. Count in the fact that Degale spit his mouthpiece out twice after being warned and you could have easily deducted a point. Jack won this fight clearly. But the energy in that arena all night was phenomenal. Best card of fighting I ever had the pleasure of seeing live.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
          Didn't score it, but it was a competitive fight, the compubox numbers didn't dictate the way the fight went, too many close rounds to cry about the decision, could have gone either way.

If Jack can't make weight then fair enough move up, but he can't expect DeGale to move up too just because it suits him.

A rematch in the UK would be a good shout, there'd be bias though so I can understand the reluctance... it sounds fair on paper though, first fight in US, second in UK.

They should have listened to what Hearn had to say as well as Mayweather, Mayweather was just complaining and saying this is bad for boxing when it was a close fight. Hearn would have been able to articulate things far better than Mayweather and actually made some sense out of the situation.
          I hear what you are saying but it seems to me that Hearn seemed a bit reluctant/hesitant (for a lack of better word) to speak. Maybe he was still like "wtf" after what Floyd has just said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Afi23 View Post
            I hear what you are saying but it seems to me that Hearn seemed a bit reluctant/hesitant (for a lack of better word) to speak. Maybe he was still like "wtf" after what Floyd has just said.
            Yeah, I watched an interview with Hearn after and he said "they didn't want to hear me talk" so that may have been why, kinda understandable since Hearn mainly works in the UK I suppose.

Didn't help that Floyd wouldn't stfu with his bull****, so they probably didn't have time to interview Hearn.

Sky Sports were interviewing DeGale in the ring with Hearn and Mayweather interrupted that too, needs to realise its not about him, I'm a huge fan of Mayweather as a fighter, one of the best there's been but he needs to start taking more of a back seat if he's serious about promoting.
            Last edited by Spacey1991; 01-15-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveM View Post
              Learn how to score a fight!

Mayweather ran a lot. Lara runs a lot. DeGale actually "runs" less than either of them. I had him winning rounds 10 and 11 against Jack so his "running " must have been effective as others, and especially the judges probably agreed [that he won 10 and 11).

Jack didn't look drained at all, either at the weigh in or in the ring. He just looked much bigger - much like Canelo does when he fights.
              I agree with that statement and that is basically what "fascinates" me with Degale. Most of the time, he could win a "boring" decision by staying on the outside but since he is so "high" on himself and has a desire to please the crowd, he decides to stick himself in the middle of the ring to make it a dog fight. Jack didn't show the ability to cut the ring yet Degale decided to play into Jack's hand and plant himself in the middle or on the ropes. For the record, I have no problem with a draw.

I really feel like Degale's doesn't box up to the full extent of his talent for 12 rounds but I don't think his talent level is as high as he probably feels it is in his head...which makes for exciting fights though and him running his mouth every chance he has!

Comment

• VERY difficult fight to score.
                I can live with the result.
                If I had to pick a winner it would have been Jack.
                Jack looked huge, not surprised he's moving up. But he also looked very compact. Good fighter. Mentally strong because De Gale is a tricky fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by petegrif View Post
                  VERY difficult fight to score.
                  I can live with the result.
                  If I had to pick a winner it would have been Jack.
                  Jack looked huge, not surprised he's moving up. But he also looked very compact. Good fighter. Mentally strong because De Gale is a tricky fighter.
                  Agreed

Gale is tricky but not that smart as in every fight he plays into the hands of his opponent for periods when he doesnt have to and cops unnecessary punishment as a result

Comment

• Degale didn't hit anything but gloves most of the time. Jack controlled the fight with a tight defense, hard body shots and good counters.

Sad to see Jack getting a bad decision again. He wasn't robbed but he should have gotten the decision. No way Degale won this by two rounds according to one of the judges.

If Degale wants a rematch it should be done at lightheavy. Do it in the UK but at lightheavy.

Comment

• Originally posted by sirron000 View Post
                      Starve himself again?..

I need for you to hide Degale's passport, we don't want that rubbish back on this side of the pond.
                      Why would I hide DeGale's passport?

And he did come over to the USA and beat Dirrell not so long ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X