No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Gets Off The Floor, Decisions Sergey Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by b morph View Post
    With this win, Ward's now a future HOF. Guaranteed. No questions asked.

yep ^^

Originally posted by b morph View Post
    He's also #1 p4p, no doubt.

yep ^^

Originally posted by b morph View Post
    Can't wait for the rematch cuz Kovalev's pissed and he'll bring the fire.

But I wonder if it'll benefit Ward, because now he knows what Kovalev brings to the table. He's familiar with him now and knows how to fight him.

everyone should just log off and leave it to you ^^

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
      yep ^^

yep ^^

everyone should just log off and leave it to you ^^
      Plus, in a rematch, Kovalev is the one who has to take chances with Ward. If Kovalev just coasts, it benefits Ward. Kovalev has to open up in order to have a chance, and that also leaves him open to counter shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Face Of Boxing View Post
        You did not watch the hbo broadcast. THe hbo team was fighting with eachother to see who could suck off ward The hardest.
        I was watching it thinking they were disregarding what Ward was doing a lot (notably Lampley) - maybe if I watched again I'd think differently, and I thought Lederman's card was ridiculous.

I think we'll both agree that they wouldn't just stfu for a few seconds and let us enjoy the fight, and kept talking over each other, I wish I could of muted the commentary without the sound of the punches being taken away haha, sometimes I swear they just talk for the sake of talking because they like the sound of their own voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          After the 4th Round you can genuinely make an argument Ward won EVERY SINGLE ROUND. He also conceivably edged the 3rd. It was a close competitive bout and there needs to be a rematch.
          This right here

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
            your point about Kovalev being skilled...... he had his chance to prove that last night, what will change next time?

we know exactly how skilled Kovalev is, and that aint enough

Ward looked flat early in that fight, it took him awhile to adapt to Kovalev and get his game going..... he needed 1-2 more fights before going after Kovalev imho, and I think a lot of coaches/trainers would agree with that.....

the problem is..... Ward will be fresher, and Ward has already had a real good up-close-and-personal look at Kovalev now.

I think that Kovalev is going to have some real problems even coming up with a decent gameplan for Ward, as he uses a different approach for every opponent and will find it even easier to neutralize Kovalev in the rematch..... it is highly unlikely that Kovalev will start the rematch with a KD like in this fight..... Ward won't be playing catch-up next time, and Kovalev will have to expose himself more to set anything up
            Oh I agree he needed more fights at 175 absolutely, it would have been hard for him facing an elite fighter like Kovalev even at 168 with the inactivity (in a scenario where he could make 168 comfortably), it magnifies it even more with him being fairly new at the weight and fighting a dude who's effectively cleaning out the division.

I just don't think Ward liked it in there last night, even when he built momentum and was controlling rounds, showboating there were points where Kov pressed and Ward looked extremely uncomfortable, I'm not sure if that will change in a rematch.

Wards body work was exceptional and that's what won him the fight but I think if Kov had got less frustrated and cut the ring off better even when he slowed down (easier said than done I know) I just think we would of got to Ward more and won a competitive but clear kind of contest.

Lets face it though, its always going to be a very competitive fight and I think there will be a big divide on who will win a rematch (like with the first fight), so we'll have to see... and just to make one thing clear I'm a big Ward fan and would love him to prove me wrong.

Comment

• Ward got to his feet really fast after a solid shot. Ward can take a punch. Kovalev can take a. Punch too.

Iron chins both of them. Great fight. Kovalev throws some solid head locks for sure. I thought. He was trying to choke out Ward a few times.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                After the 4th Round you can genuinely make an argument Ward won EVERY SINGLE ROUND. He also conceivably edged the 3rd. It was a close competitive bout and there needs to be a rematch.
                Yeah I was a bit surprised when they gave the 3rd to Kovalev, not out of the question don't get me wrong but I thought Ward nicked that round. When there's so many swing rounds nobody can cry robbery at the end of the day, I do think Kovalev will be even more confident in a rematch though, Ward looked like he didn't fancy it in parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  The boy was eating jabs and counters for 18 minutes. What else is there to talk about? It almost ended up like Kovalev/Hopkins. I've never seen Ward's head get snapped back that much, and he got wobbled - OFF A JAB! It's David Haye all over again.

He didn't really do anything until round 7, by then it should have been too late, were it scored properly.

I wouldn't call it a robbery and I don't think it's 'Murica", I think they gave Ward the benefit of the doubt because of the body work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
                    Oh I agree he needed more fights at 175 absolutely, it would have been hard for him facing an elite fighter like Kovalev even at 168 with the inactivity (in a scenario where he could make 168 comfortably), it magnifies it even more with him being fairly new at the weight and fighting a dude who's effectively cleaning out the division.

I just don't think Ward liked it in there last night, even when he built momentum and was controlling rounds, showboating there were points where Kov pressed and Ward looked extremely uncomfortable, I'm not sure if that will change in a rematch.

Wards body work was exceptional and that's what won him the fight but I think if Kov had got less frustrated and cut the ring off better even when he slowed down (easier said than done I know) I just think we would of got to Ward more and won a competitive but clear kind of contest.

Lets face it though, its always going to be a very competitive fight and I think there will be a big divide on who will win a rematch (like with the first fight), so we'll have to see... and just to make one thing clear I'm a big Ward fan and would love him to prove me wrong.

I'm sure he will, again.

Comment

• I remember thinking in the second round, DAMN, one of my favorite fighters of the last 5 years is getting knocked out and he isn't even going to get a chance to show his skills and thinking how this was going to ruin the beginning of my holiday season. Very impressed with the heart Ward showed and glad he rose up to win so many rounds after that. He proved the heart of a champ in every way!

Comment

Working...
                      X