Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut Ortiz some slack. Compile List of fighters who have quit.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
    I got tired of hearing all these keyboard ring warriors call ortiz a b.itch this and that. Lets compile a list of fighters who have quit for one reason or another. I will kick off the list and will edit as more names come up.

Off the top of my head.

1. Roberto Duran to Ray Leonard
    2. Erik Morales to Manny Pacquaio
    3. Oscar De La Hoya to Manny Pacquaio
    4. Miguel Cotto to Antonio Margarito
    5. Devon Alexander to Timothy Bradley
    6. Rafeal Marquez to Juan Manuel Lopez
    7. Richardo Mayorga to Miguel Cotto
    8. Israel Vasquez to Rafael Marquez
    9. Vitali Klitschko to Chris Byrd
    10. Ray Robinson to Joey Maxim
    11. Kostya Tszyu to Ricky Hatton
    12. Marco Antonio Rubio to Kelly Pavlik
    13. Mike Tyson to Kevin McBride

Look at all these names, all have elected to stop a fight voluntarily, all in different circumstances. Yes other have fought through excatly what these fighters quit for but that is irreleavant, A fighter knows when he is done and no one wants to see them quit but some time it the best thing to do.

Here's the problem with your list... Ortiz quit while WINNING. Even if he had lost all 3 of the final rounds, he would have been awarded a draw. I guess #9 is a valid comparison (never saw the fight). #11 I can understand being there... I thought the Hatton-Tszyu fight was very close, with Kosta possibly winning when he quit (actually all three judges had him down if I remember correctly). None of the others even come close... None of those guys had any chance of winning the fight. Hell, some of the guys you listed didn't even quit.

So other than #9, and possibly #11, terrible job compiling a list of quitters who could rival what we saw this weekend. It's different when you are getting pasted and you have no chance (OK, maybe like 1 in 20,000) of pulling out a miracle. A couple of examples... Lacy's corner should have thrown in the towel when Calzaghe was giving him a one-sided beating. Same goes for Marg in the Pac fight... Those guys would never quit, even when just soldiering on for nothing more than pride (or a chance at a true miracle). But their corners should have interceded. Those kinds of beatings are pointless in the later rounds.

But Ortiz was winning. Let's face it, had he toughed it out he had a great chance of winning and a very small chance of losing.

Also, Ortiz is in his prime and this was a key fight for him. This loss has seriously damaged his future. He's not a HOF fighter at the tail end of his career.

Nice try though. Maybe compile a list of fighters who have quit due to severe pain in an important fight they happened to be winning, with only 3 rounds to go. I think then you will see that Ortiz' surrender was almost unprecedented.

Comment

Originally posted by Twako View Post
      what duran, morales, delahoya and alexander did was far far worse than quitting with a broken jaw.
      To me, this is all backwards.

Duran - OK, this was a pretty bad quit. He was pretty clearly on his way to losing but he wasn't exactly getting whipped. There's really no excuse. But this was the result of frustration (yes, he was being a *****). If he were winning and quit because he was in pain, it would somehow be worse IMO.

Morales, DLH - You are talking about fights where guys where getting destroyed in one-sided beat downs. There was no point in them continuing. They were whipped, had nothing left, and had already lost the fight. They had no chance to win. This is the situation where you SHOULD quit.

Alexander - This is another one of the subjective, grey area "quits". Did he really quit? Also, he was on his way to losing the fight, although it's not like he was taking a brutal beating. So if he really did quit, it's a really bad one. But I am not sure if he even quit or not.

Ortiz - He was winning the fight. His opponent was smaller, less skilled and had two swollen eyes (one basically swollen shut). It was a fight Ortiz had to win in order to maintain his credibility as a world class fighter. DLH would have loved to beat Pac, but he was already well past his prime and half-retired. Ortiz is in his prime and couldn't afford a loss like this. There was only three rounds left.

This is by far the worst quit IMO, because he was WINNING the damn fight. If he had continued, he had very little chance of losing. He could have won by TKO, or decision. He could have managed a draw. I guess there was a tiny chance Lopez could have stopped him. Continuing to fight with a broken jaw in this sitation is a no-brainer IMO. Honestly, I'm shocked how many people think a boxer with so much on the line should have quit in a fight he was well on his way to winning and which only had 3 rounds left. I realize the Sept 15th date with Canelo was toast. But his career is in a totally different place right now, having quit AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        This is not a fair list or comparison to what Victor Ortiz had done against an over matched and outclassed opponent in Josesito Lopez (A last minute replacement opponent mind you). As a matter of fact, none of the names on your list were last minute replacement opponents. In any case, here's the deal; Victor was severely punishing and hurting Lopez in this fight when he decided he had enough and quit competing. In addition, Josesito absorbed a lot of hard punches from Ortiz in this contest; Even some dirty ones, (rabbit punches behind the neck) while both of his eyes being nearly shut and face badly swollen, yet he did not use this as an excuse to quit. Moreover, it seemed that at any given moment, Ortiz could've ended this fight with just one good combination of punches but didn't. He would just back away because of the courage Josesito Lopez had displayed in order to deter him. Also, for the exception of your selections 1, 9 and 10 all of those combatants you've mentioned on your list were either over matched or outclassed in those bouts.

Finally, someone who makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Maidana, Floyd, Lopez and Peterson in a way
          You are fast becoming a troll, which is weird as your rep would suggest your a good poster.

Peterson really? blatant hating on a fighter. sad.

Comment

Originally posted by APryor View Post
            Here's the problem with your list... Ortiz quit while WINNING. Even if he had lost all 3 of the final rounds, he would have been awarded a draw. I guess #9 is a valid comparison (never saw the fight). #11 I can understand being there... I thought the Hatton-Tszyu fight was very close, with Kosta possibly winning when he quit (actually all three judges had him down if I remember correctly). None of the others even come close... None of those guys had any chance of winning the fight. Hell, some of the guys you listed didn't even quit.

So other than #9, and possibly #11, terrible job compiling a list of quitters who could rival what we saw this weekend. It's different when you are getting pasted and you have no chance (OK, maybe like 1 in 20,000) of pulling out a miracle. A couple of examples... Lacy's corner should have thrown in the towel when Calzaghe was giving him a one-sided beating. Same goes for Marg in the Pac fight... Those guys would never quit, even when just soldiering on for nothing more than pride (or a chance at a true miracle). But their corners should have interceded. Those kinds of beatings are pointless in the later rounds.

But Ortiz was winning. Let's face it, had he toughed it out he had a great chance of winning and a very small chance of losing.

Also, Ortiz is in his prime and this was a key fight for him. This loss has seriously damaged his future. He's not a HOF fighter at the tail end of his career.

Nice try though. Maybe compile a list of fighters who have quit due to severe pain in an important fight they happened to be winning, with only 3 rounds to go. I think then you will see that Ortiz' surrender was almost unprecedented.
            tough it out and not eat for the rest of his life? you see the pics?? you are ******ed. cuz ortiz some slack here. he needs to work on his defense, not sure what his trainers are thinking.

Comment

arguello quit against pryor in their second fight..

Comment

Did any of those guys quit after they had knocked down their opponent 3 times? Like Ortiz did against Maidana?

Comment

Working...
                X