No announcement yet.

These Fighters Want to Be "Money" but want to skip the trials of "Pretty Boy"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
    Floyd's record is an illusion. He only fought Pac after he'd been devastatingly KOd by Marquez (avoided him before that KO happened), fought a catchweight-drained Canelo, 1.5 year inactive washed up Mosley, Khan's son - Maidana, quitter Ortiz, limited Guerrero, past prime Cotto.

It could be argued that Floyd hasn't actually fought a legit undefeated opponent, on the top of their game, for 10 years since Corrales. Can't count Canelo because he was weight-drained and visibly sluggish as a result.
    The hypocrisy knows no limits. On one day it is "having a 0 on your resume does not prove greatness. A loss tells us how good someone is" and on another day it is "Let's **** on Mayweather because his opponents have Ls on their resume."

If you go through most fighters resumes with a fine tooth comb, their notable wins can be stripped down. Pacquiao for instance: Morales was clearly past his prime, his victories over Marquez were marred with controversy, Cotto was drained and on a slope, De La Hoya was drained.

Comment

Jacobs has been a pro for like 8 years now, sadly he had more hype as a nyc golden glove champion than he does now.

He's fought one legit opponent his entire career and got knocked out.

Yet the word a-side Actually came out of his mouth.

The culture in this sport is not in a good place.

I 100% blame haymon.

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
        If I hear the word "A-Side" one more time, I will throw a fit.

This thread is inspired by Danny Jacobs A-side rant BTW.

It's no secret I'm a Floyd fan. Been one since 1996 when he fought at the Olympics. He is one of the most skilled, compete fighters I have ever seen and I love watching boxing at its highest level. With that said, I do not like the impact he will leave on the sport going forward.

I understand divas have existed since the 1900s. The great Ray Robinson was a diva, Leonard was a diva, and numerous other fighters used to get cute in negotiations to gain advantages. That's not my issue. You put in work, bleed, fight killers, put your life at stake...you deserve to get paid, call the shots and make it tough for a young fighter to use the name that you worked so hard to build to launch his career.

But now, you have guys like Danny Jacobs, Peter Quillin, Frampton/Quigg, Rigo/Loma, Demetrius Andrade, GGG/Ward, Kovalev/Stevenson, Khan/Brook, etc. etc. talking this a-side, A-side BS. What have these guys accomplished to be making such demands? None of them have classic battles, hall of fame resumes or anything.

And it doesn't end there. You have Danny Garcia taking soft touches and not giving anybody rematches. Adrien Broner declaring himself next in line while accomplishing nothing. Keith Thurman treating Errol Spence like other fighters he complains about. GGG and Rigo afraid to test their skills one division higher. Nobody has the desire to be the next ATG fighter.

Floyd and Pac weren't perfect but they took risks, gave rematches in controversial fights, and fought the best in several weight divisions. When moving up to 135, Floyd fought Castillo while Broner and Garcia fought Paulie.

I understand there are some qualities that make you born a superstar. Your charisma, nationality, color, personality, etc. But every boxing superstar from Leonard, Chavez, Floyd, Pac, Oscar, Tyson, etc.....all had one thing in common.....

They tested themselves against the best. And they didn't act like divas until they earned the right to.
        I agree with you but one thing... Rigo has NEVER claimed to be the A-Side. He has asked for cw's and rehydration clauses but never while saying he's the A-Side. Unless I missed something.

Comment

People tend to forget this fact. Whether you hate or love Floyd he is "Money" 1.Because of his gimmick and
          2.He is ACTUALLY THE BEST FIGHTER IN HIS SPORT. He made it to the top AND THEN became Money May. Not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
            I agree with you but one thing... Rigo has NEVER claimed to be the A-Side. He has asked for cw's and rehydration clauses but never while saying he's the A-Side. Unless I missed something.
            Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I just think Loma can come in at 140 and Rigo would still win. I think the demands are unnecessary.

Comment

Great thread.

It has existed basically always, but there's no doubt it's worse now then ever before.

To be honest I think it's just got worse over time. Oscar was probably the worst before Floyd, and so on.

I mean, Ali wouldn't give Norton the final fight until he got the money he was asking for. Which was big money back then.

But all these guys earned it both in the ring and also by popularity and numbers.

These new breed don't seem to want to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                The hypocrisy knows no limits. On one day it is "having a 0 on your resume does not prove greatness. A loss tells us how good someone is" and on another day it is "Let's **** on Mayweather because his opponents have Ls on their resume."

If you go through most fighters resumes with a fine tooth comb, their notable wins can be stripped down. Pacquiao for instance: Morales was clearly past his prime, his victories over Marquez were marred with controversy, Cotto was drained and on a slope, De La Hoya was drained.
                I've already said Pacquiao does have some question marks scattered over his record too, and many fighters do, but the difference is Floyd has question marks dating back 10 years while he's perceived as the P4P #1. His record over the past decade is an illusion and a result of picking the right opponents specifically at the right times.

There's a reason he retired when Paul Williams, Winky Wright, Cotto and Margarito were active and in their prime - the same reason he's ducked Khan for the past 2 years. He saw those fights as too high risk.

Comment

A++ thread, seriously. I've had many o' conversations on this topic. People act like Manny and Floyd became cash cows without having to work for it. These young bucks need to start fighting each other so we can know who is the real deal, THEN they can have the right to call out Floyd or Manny
                  Last edited by FrankieClutch; 08-02-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

People are still mentioning Amir Khan? There's also something people would do well to remember when mentioning Mayweather: his most difficult/controversial fights resulted in immediate rematches, Castillo II & Maidana II.

If he was scared of a challenge, to the point that he would avoid Amir Khan, he would not have given the fighters a second chance.

You have to be an idiot to lump Mayweather in the same boat as the fighters we are seeing nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                      People are still mentioning Amir Khan? There's also something people would do well to remember when mentioning Mayweather: his most difficult/controversial fights resulted in immediate rematches, Castillo II & Maidana II.

If he was scared of a challenge, to the point that he would avoid Amir Khan, he would not have given the fighters a second chance.

You have to be an idiot to lump Mayweather in the same boat as the fighters we are seeing nowadays.
                      Fighters nowadays don't get it. I'm not even going to use Floyd as an example this time. Manny Pacquiao washed Timothy Bradley just a year ago. Which one of these self entitled welterweights has a win over that quality of an opponent? I understand the Khan/Bradley situation and its not Khan's fault.

But he's had the chance to fight Thurman, Porter and Brook but chose the easy route to avoid risking losing. What type of **** is that?

He could be IBF champion right now if he fought Devon when he was supposed to instead of hoping to land Floyd by gift.

Comment

Working...
                      X