No announcement yet.

Arthur Abraham - Criminally Underrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Abraham - Criminally Underrated

Ahh, good old Arthur Abraham... People have talked a lot of **** about him in recent years. Let's look at the facts...

As a middleweight, he was undefeated and had 30 victories, 24 by knockout. He was a solid guy who could throw a hard punch and he had an iron jaw, he broke it in his first fight against the hard-hitting undefeated Edison Miranda and he still managed to win. In other words, one can't deny that Arthur was a great middleweight fighter.

However, then he moved to super middleweight. He has had 12 fights in this division. He has lost 4, arguably 5 (the Shiheppo match was controversial), of his matches. The losses against Froch, Ward and Dirrell really shouldn't be used as an argument to prove anything bad against Arthur Abraham. Anyone who knows anything about these guys know that there is no shame in losing to such quality fighters. What this means is, that while Arthur is not the top of the super middleweight division, he certainly doesn't sucks. In fact, he got some respectable wins in super middleweight to prove it.

He defeated Robert Stieglitz, who is a solid opponent. He defeated Jermain Taylor, who is a solid opponent that had just dominated Froch until Froch stopped him. He also defeated Mehdi Bouadla and Piotr Wilczewski. Those two are not "great" wins, but neither of them just goes around losing to nobodies, if you can beat them, you're at the very least above average.

Now, Arthur is obviously getting older and his power is disappearing, scoring less and less stoppages. He is starting to have some slips. The loss to Stieglitz in their rematch, the Shiheppo controversy right after, etc... I also think that Arthur may lose the third match against Stieglitz at this point, although I hope he wins.

My point is, no one is claiming that Arthur is the best in the super middleweight division. He is one of my favourites, but I can see that some are better. But that some people are denying to give Froch or Ward any credit for beating Arthur, that is just ridicolous...

Respect Arthur for what he is. A very good middleweight and a good super middleweight who is on the slip at the moment. I don't want to bash Golovkin, I expect big things from Golovkin. But see how much love Golovkin gets from fans. Golovkin have not achieved more than Arthur at middleweight yet and I doubt that Golovkin will move up to super middleweight like Arthur did. It doesn't make sense to praise Golovkin while bashing Arthur. Maybe in the future, but not at the moment.

Ggg before ggg came around

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiao'd View Post
      Ggg before ggg came around
      This thead is not supposed to be about Golovkin, but I just made an example and I did it without saying a bad word about Golovkin and I didn't say Arthur is better than him, just wanted to make a point.

Comment

AA was a very good middleweight -- once he left that division he was irrelevant.

Comment

OP makes some good points, except I don't feel Abraham lost to Dirrell. I think he made Andre quit.

On Golovkin, I think he's on another level as a pure boxer but Golovkin v Abraham would have been interesting given Arthur's punching power.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Agree with Weebler on Dirrell quitting in the fight, he did 100%

AA was a very good middleweight but made the mistake of moving up to 168, he has still put on some good fights though but his style of starting off slow, blocking punches and then looking for openings didn't serve him well against bigger guys and as he gets older, he can pull the trigger less and less.

I'd like him to beat Steiglitz in a rematch and maybe get one last pay day before he retires.

Comment

Abraham is the only fighter were Ward could not fight him on the inside because abe was too strong and hardhitting

And to this day the hardrest four rounds of Ward carrere was the first 4 against abe.

He was alsot getting to dirrel and was going to stop him.

He got beat fair and square against Froch, but froch was also the worst kind of style for abraham, yet later in the fight abe was close to koing froch a couple of times.

He is proberly one of the few men that i would fear in a street fight, dude is scary strong

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                AA was a very good middleweight -- once he left that division he was irrelevant.
                How is he irrelevant when he has beaten Stieglitz and Taylor? He was not irrelevant at all, even if some are better than him.

Comment

A great middleweight, a good super-middleweight

Wish the guy stayed at 160

Comment

And now suddenly he is criminally overrated. Look at the guys he beat as middleweight champion. Challengers no one heard of before he fought them and no one heard of those guys after he fought them.

When he finally stepped up it was at super middleweight and was dominated.

Comment

Working...
                    X