No announcement yet.

You can not build up huge fights until a fighter builds himself up first

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
    I get it. You don't care about how much money the fighters make, how much they make compared to the profits or how much the fighters have to spend on training.

All you care about is the fact that the best MMA fighters are getting in the ring and beating the **** out of each other for your amusement.
    I get it. You're a bizznezz man.
    Nobody forces them to beat it out of each other. If their gonna beat it out of each other anyway i want a competitive sport.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      You like listing names but never seem to provide any context, what am I supposed to do, applaud you on your list making skills unibrow?

Also, I asked larryxxx...

Anyway, I was sure this had something to do with GGG, for some reason he is the next target for the "home boys" from the "hood".

What I can't figure out, what "huge fight" we're actually talking about. Canelo? The guy was lineal champion, by every fan and experts reckoning, GGG was/is the man to beat in the division, arguably the best or second best guy (depending how one may have ranked Canelo at the time).

This isn't a "huge" fight that needs a "build up", it's a common sense match up that should have happened already. Or GGG v Cotto. Did Khan deserve a shot at the lineal middleweight title over GGG? Or did Geale when Cotto was champ? Is that the type of build up we want these days?

Also, why is Stevenson mentioned? Or Wilder? Or LSC?
      GGG isn't a PPV star though. Golden Boy is letting the fight marinate, meaning allow GGG's following to grow. His first PPV did way less than they expected, whereas Canelo has very good numbers in the post Mayweather Pacquiao era.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
        These fighters these days take 0 risks period, they have **** resumes and have not done anything close to great but want great paydays...I blame the media for glorifying fighters just like the NBA did Stephon Curry(yea he won a title but every team he played was injured especially the point guard)say what you may about Mayweather and Manny but THEY PROVED THEMSELVES 10 TIMES OVER!!! These fighters want the glory without the journey!!! How can you build a big fight when neither fighter has taken the risk to be big?...
        I've never directly quoted your post, Larry, because on the whole I find your arguments moral (from your given perspective) and you generally avoid crossing streams, but I take exception with your invocation of Floyd Mayweather as a risk taker. Please cite examples of his ever having taken matches anyone in the know believed he had a legitimate chance of losing besides the Corrales fight. With a straight face.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
          I've never directly quoted your post, Larry, because on the whole I find your arguments moral (from your given perspective) and you generally avoid crossing streams, but I take exception with your invocation of Floyd Mayweather as a risk taker. Please cite examples of his ever having taken matches anyone in the know believed he had a legitimate chance of losing besides the Corrales fight. With a straight face.
          Lmao larry just ****ted himself. fl0moes don't wanna admit their idol cherry picked to 49-0

Comment

If fighting

Canelo
            Oscar
            Mosley
            Castillo
            Maidana
            Judah
            Cotto
            Ortiz
            Pacquiao
            Genero
            Hatton

all who were world champs and or on the p4p list is not taking risks then damn

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
              If fighting

Canelo
              Oscar
              Mosley
              Castillo
              Maidana
              Judah
              Cotto
              Ortiz
              Pacquiao
              Genero
              Hatton

all who were world champs and or on the p4p list is not taking risks then damn
              You can't call Floyd a risk taker and cite eleven examples of times he was the favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                They sure did. But Canelo v ggg will never in a million years get close to Floyd v pac.
                I agree but I do think GBP are going to make GGG wait it out a bit and I do think they want to get him at the right time maybe when he starts to age and shows signs of slowing down I do think that is part of the reason why they're stalling

The mistake fight fans make is that we underestimate the sport we claim to love. While it does take time to build a Superstar, all it takes is 1 Fight and 1 Moment for a new Star to be born
                Last edited by sicko; 07-05-2016, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elgu View Post
                  Another bizznezz man. I watch to see a competitive sport, just like every other sport i watch. I could care less how much they make.
                  yeah that sounds great to try and sound like the ultimate boxing fan but when fans say that I think they're completely FULL OF IT!

When BIG MONEY is at Steak you will get Competitive fights, look at Thurman vs Porter! Hell look at most of the top fights in boxing history. It Cost MONEY to put together big fights and it is Ignorant for fans to expect fighters to take LESS to make big fights

Comment

You can't call Floyd a risk taker and cite eleven examples of times he was the favorite.
                    That doesn't make any sense, Floyd would never have been an underdog against anyone at 154 and below, He would have been favourites against Williams and Margarito too, I name them because those are go to guys he supposedly avoided.... I guess we need not bother about those fights not happening too since they wouldn't have been risks. If Ward gets listed as the favourite against Kovalev then I guess that fight isn't a risk anymore.

Hell by your logic Golovkin won't be talking a risk unless he faces Ward or Kovalev at 175 because he'd be the favourite against pretty much everyone else.

See why that logic doesn't work?

Comment

This is a good perspective and one fans of Floyd never seem to understand or acknowledge. You can't compare a food cart to the same scale or measurement you would a michelin star restaurant.

Just the way you would not compare what Floyd has done in comparison to many of his contemporaries, they are inferior so the comparisons don't hold up. If you look at Floyd's body of work, was it impressive? Of course! But was he always in a hurry to challenge himself? Absolutely not. That is what it is all about, try and find your ceiling, and there was always a bit of a reluctance from him to do this.

Having said all that - he did fight very good fighters and a few great one's, although never a great one in his prime. I think the most impressive thing about Floyd is his dominance and consistency to fight near perfection for such a long time, that is abnormal. He was rarely in a competitive fight.

His career is very different to past greats, he always measured risk vs reward, where many of his idols fought fighters when they were dangerous and in their prime. The disappointing aspect of his career is that we will never really know what he was truly capable of, and there is a question mark there, could he have been the greatest of all time? The eyeball test definitely puts him in the top 10 for me, but we will never know, his resume doesn't justify him as a top 10 ATG, maybe not even top 20, and that is what he should have been measuring himself against, he should have been propelling himself to better past greats.

Comment

Working...
                      X