No announcement yet.

Help! How do you counter clinches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How do you counter clinches?

After watching the Maidana vs. Alexander fight I realized I have a similar problem in my sparring. How do you cleanly counter clinches? Some tips from experienced people please!

Also how to counter a high overhand right like Marco Hucks? I lift my elbow, turn and throw a counter right (orthodox stance) but don't know if there is something more efficient to do. I do not have the fastest foot speed.....

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=535351

1:22 in the video

Comment

there are a million ways to counter an overhand right. be creative and find what works for your style.

even though its not a counter to clinches go to the body thorughout the fight, its very hard to clinch when you are worried about being hit by bodyshots. the best counter imo is to take a step back, let you oponent fall in and throw an uppercut to the head, like when brewer KO'd guerrero.

Comment

http://how-to-box.com/content/boxing-tip-11-clinching

Comment

When they clinch, try and grab them yourself and just spin out(makes no sense i suppose , try and turn them real quick and push away I dont know how better to articulate that boxing is best done in a gym and not the net). If your taller, lean your weight on them to tire them out. If you cant get out, I kind of push against them with my head and whatever arm they have trapped to create space and I throw punches at whatever is open body or head theyll move or the coaches will break it up.

And whoever told you to step back to counter a punch has obviously never done that, the most power is at the end of someones punch. Step off to the side, block it or parry it with whatever hand feels comfortable for you. Stepping straight back isn't a very smart idea.

Comment

Working...
          X