Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best color commentator/analyst?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pardon my ignorance but why are they called color commentators?

Oh, as far as my favourites go I like the HBO crew. Larry Merchant - he's like a comfy old pair of slippers. I don't mind Jim Lampley, and Big George can be pretty funny, but is quite knowledgable too. Roy Jones is pretty good. Manny Steward doesn't bother me. Max Kellerman I find very irritating. From the Brits my favourite isn't listed here - Barry McGuigan; very knowledgable and very fair. Ian Darke I can take or leave, same goes for Glen McCrory. Not too keen on Lennox Lewis. The one I cannot stand is Jim Watt - he does my head in, and ruins the fight for me. In fact if I download a fight and it turns out he's commentating I'll delete it and try to find an alternative version. That reminds me - I must try to get an alternate version of the Khan/Maidana fight for that very reason.

Comment

Roy Jones leading this poll. Not only were his fans delusional about his boxing career, now they are delusional about his broadcasting career. Larry Merchant is the best, of course he has slipped due to age but he has been great for decades. Steve Farhood would be second in my book followed by Antonio Tarver. Once Merchant is gone the SHO crew blows HBO out of the water.

Lamps has taken a lot of heat over the years but he obviously is the best at what he does in the world. Without him the HBO team would be really in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by McBean View Post
        Oh, as far as my favourites go I like the HBO crew. Larry Merchant - he's like a comfy old pair of slippers. I don't mind Jim Lampley, and Big George can be pretty funny, but is quite knowledgable too. Roy Jones is pretty good. Manny Steward doesn't bother me. Max Kellerman I find very irritating.
        I agree - I like all the HBO crew except for Kellerman. He comes on like an annoying kid trying to prove himself all the time, and he lacks social tact.

Comment

I'm being biased with my RJJ vote because I can't stand some of the others.

Comment

Working...
          X