Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Here's Why Spence-Garcia Should Air On FOX, Not FOX PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article misses the main benefit to Fox Sports of this deal; that they were able to more than fill in the content hole created by the UFC completely moving to ESPN/ESPN+, while also getting a taste of PPV to go with it.

I don't have the UFC on FOX ratings just off hand, but I doubt that they trump the PBC on FOX ratings so far, FOX is getting 10 of those instead of 4, and FS1 is getting 12 live dates that have drawn alright so far (with room to grow, since I believe the UFC drew better on FS1 with the Fight Nights and PPV prelims). You add the shoulder programming that's been able to draw viewers (Inside PBC, Face-Off for the FOXPPV/FOX/FS1 shows that merit it, the camp life stuff, pre/post fight) and you've got even more viable content to buttress FS1 with.

Schaefer's optimism is interesting to me; if the fight does break though 500k buys, as he thinks it will do, FOX would've just made their first $3m or so on a content event (used to cover the extra FOX expenses that come with PPV, but still a bump that would bring Fox Sports and PBC even closer).

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Spence vs Garcia is well deserving of being on pay per view.

Crawford vs Khan? Now that should be on regular ESPN. It's not a PPV worthy fight.
      So much for ABC, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mp1110 View Post
        Spence is going to be a PPV-only fighter moving forward. This is only step one.
        Spence will be the tent pole for FOX, while Wilder is the tent pole for Showtime/CBS.

A long road, but the vision is coming clear.

Comment

I think the fight does around 250k buys. I don't think it's a PPV fight, however I do think it's an excellent fight. It's just neither guy is a PPV draw.

Comment

Mikey got a decent following. $75 isn't bad, if people are chipping in. But I'd rather watch it in the theaters for $20.

Comment

Ive been saying this for a while.Promoters are willing to lose money bringing up a prospect WHY THE HE LL would they not be willing to POSSIBLE lose money on ONE FIGHT on HUGE platform like FOX.They would more then make up for it in long run,but that's the problem because NO PROMOTER looks out for long term heath of sport.OK fine but it would also help their OWN COMPANY in long run its all how much can we squeeze out of fans for THIS FIGHT even if it hurts them for next."AH he ll we will worry about next fight next time".No other successful business model would run their company this way.Can you just imagine what a even a semi close Castilo vs Corrales type fight on FOX would do for sport(and their own damn company).I swear boxing promoters are some of the dumbest business men around.Now many ae gonna point out how long Arum and others have been running their company's and even gaining a bigger piece of pie(Arum outlasting King) but for Christ sake THE PIE HAS GOTTON NOTHING BUT SMALLER during his reign at top and that's undisputed.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
                What remains constant in this sport is incessant butthurt and complaints....that's what needs to die, not the sport.

The size of the fighters and their records is what's selling the fight....but the undercard isn't all that great. That much I'll say, but there's no need to cry about it.

Boxing fans cried about PPVs for years. You give them free boxing, what do you get? Complaints. Boxing fans cry for big fights (Kovalev/Ward), but don't buy them when they're made....making the sport look bad.

Love the sport, hate the fans. Period.
                This is so true. We have so much boxing accessible on TV now and on so many platforms. I can actually sit down with my old man and watch a fight. Because of me becoming a boxing fan, my dads more interested now. My dads not gonna buy a PPV or go to a bar to watch, so boxing being on ESPN, FOX, FS1, Showtime, he’ll sit down with me and watch if it’s a good fight. I came home from somewhere and he’s actually watching the Whyte - Chisora rematch, and I didn’t even tell him that it was on. He told me it was a good fight. I came just in time for the KO.

I don’t even know if this reply has anything to do with your post. All I wanted to say, is boxing’s great.

Comment

They say Spence nor Garcia are PPV fighters. Well, they are now. Ppl said Mayweather wasn’t a PPV fighter too.

Comment

I think this does better than Wilder vs Fury. 500K is possible. They should really promote it in the theaters more it is a great way to watch fights like this if you can't make it to a fight party.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                      This is so true. We have so much boxing accessible on TV now and on so many platforms. I can actually sit down with my old man and watch a fight. Because of me becoming a boxing fan, my dads more interested now. My dads not gonna buy a PPV or go to a bar to watch, so boxing being on ESPN, FOX, FS1, Showtime, he’ll sit down with me and watch if it’s a good fight. I came home from somewhere and he’s actually watching the Whyte - Chisora rematch, and I didn’t even tell him that it was on. He told me it was a good fight. I came just in time for the KO.

I don’t even know if this reply has anything to do with your post. All I wanted to say, is boxing’s great.
                      This post is greatly appreciated!

That's what it's all about, though....reaching the masses and growing the sport! The sad thing is, hardcore "fans" are the ones spreading the negativity and turning prospects away.

This is the what, the 2nd PPV this year? Not bad...being that bigger fights are scheduled for the next few months and they're ALL free.

If there's gonna be another PPV, it may be in Sept, November or at the latest, December....so we may get 2 more before the year is out. That's nowhere near as bad as it used to be....there used to be damn near 10 PPVs a year.

But hey, there's no such thing as pleasing most boxing fans. Lol

Comment

Working...
                      X