Did mark breland reach his potential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=DBSLM;12903382]
    Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
    This is an ignorant statement, however the answer is absolutely NOT! Breland was given the can't miss tag before the Olympics and after he won gold he was viewed as a future ATG/HOF er. While he certainly had some success as a pro, he never approched this status and with the god given talent he had, he never reached his potential. It seemed like he just didn't have a fighters hea

Explain how this is an Ignorant statement please then I will reubuddle
    I have no interest in having a boxing discussion with someone who believes that what went wrong with Brelands career is that he's from Brooklyn! If you're not sharp enough to see what's ignorant about that, I really don't know what to tell you. After researching some of your past posts, I m lead to believe that your boxing IQ is verrrrrrry low. Some of your gems, Joan Guzman beats Salvador Sanchez and Wilfredo Gomez, Loreto Garza beats Pernel Whitaker. As I said verrrrrrry low

Comment

[quote=Boxing Bob;12903630]
      Originally posted by DBSLM View Post

I have no interest in having a boxing discussion with someone who believes that what went wrong with Brelands career is that he's from Brooklyn! If you're not sharp enough to see what's ignorant about that, I really don't know what to tell you. After researching some of your past posts, I m lead to believe that your boxing IQ is verrrrrrry low. Some of your gems, Joan Guzman beats Salvador Sanchez and Wilfredo Gomez, Loreto Garza beats Pernel Whitaker. As I said verrrrrrry low

Comment

He did very well and achieved what he wanted. I don't think the desire or style was there to be a legendary pro and that was obvious right at the beginning of his pro career. But the guy did very well for himself.

Comment

Look at the recent history of fighters from Brooklyn watch these fights you will these fall apart cause they didnt have the stamina.
          Breland vs Starling/Davis
          Junior Jones vs Mckinney/John Michael Johnson
          Shannon Briggs vs Jefferson/Lewis/Botha
          Curtis Stevens vs Brinkley
          Jaidon Codrington vs Bika
          Mustafa Muhammad vs Galindez
          Pretty much all of Judah's big fights
          Pretty Much all of Tyson big fight

Comment

I dont see why people think its a strech That Joan Guzman would beat Wilfredo Gomez. Hes clearly faster & had the better Defense. Gomez could punch but Guzman had the better chin. Under no circumstance can I see Gomez ever beating Ali Funeka. I also cant see Guzman ever losing to Alfredo Layne.
            I dont beleive I ever said Guzman would beat Sal Sanchez & if I did scratch that.

Comment

I dont see why people think its a strech That Joan Guzman would beat Wilfredo Gomez. Hes clearly faster & had the better Defense. Gomez could punch but Guzman had the better chin. Under no circumstance can I see Gomez ever beating Ali Funeka. I also cant see Guzman ever losing to Alfredo Layne.
              I dont beleive I ever said Guzman would beat Sal Sanchez & if I did scratch that.
              Gomez lost to Layne at the end of his career at a higher weight class. Funeka is a 6'1 lightweight, so Gomez would never have even fought him. At 122, Gomez walks right through Joan Guzman.

Comment

Look at the recent history of fighters from Brooklyn watch these fights you will these fall apart cause they didnt have the stamina.
                Breland vs Starling/Davis
                Junior Jones vs Mckinney/John Michael Johnson
                Shannon Briggs vs Jefferson/Lewis/Botha
                Curtis Stevens vs Brinkley
                Jaidon Codrington vs Bika
                Mustafa Muhammad vs Galindez
                Pretty much all of Judah's big fights
                Pretty Much all of Tyson big fight
                must be something in the water in Brooklyn! verrrrry low

Comment

verrry low

Comment

this thread got off the tracks, but i would like to bump it,,,,

i was a kid watching breland, so i couldnt grasp the sport like i do now,,,,,,

could someone explain when his downfall started or when it became apparent that he wasnt an ATG,,,

breland fascinates me because he was something like 110-1 as an amateur and then never reached the peaks like holyfield, pernell, or even virgil hill,,,,

I would like to hear some more about him and the best fights he won or lost,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      this thread got off the tracks, but i would like to bump it,,,,

i was a kid watching breland, so i couldnt grasp the sport like i do now,,,,,,

could someone explain when his downfall started or when it became apparent that he wasnt an ATG,,,

breland fascinates me because he was something like 110-1 as an amateur and then never reached the peaks like holyfield, pernell, or even virgil hill,,,,

I would like to hear some more about him and the best fights he won or lost,,,
                      Breland's downfall started with the KO loss to Marlon Starling. He just totally folded up and it wasn't a good look. While he didn't live up to the high expectations, he had a pretty damn good career. What keeps him (most of all) from being an ATG is not having beaten anyone close to a great fighter. Rafael Pineda and Lloyd Honeyghan are the only wins of his career that weren't walkovers.

I will add that Breland is a very classy guy and an underrated trainer now.

Comment

Working...
                      X