Tatame Talks To Vitor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tatame Talks To Vitor

From MMAWeekly.com

An interesting article from Marcelo Alonso who writes for Tatame, this was an interview he did in a recent article. Full props to our friends at Tatame.

by Marcelo Alonso / Team Tatame

After spending two days in Miami before returning to Rio, new UFC Champion Vitor Belfort called Team Tatame from a friends house to celebrate the most important win of his life.

Vitor remains very depressed over the disappearence of his sister Priscila. The new champ did speak about the fight, and started with a statement to the fans who believe He got the title by luck. 'Just like I did, most people thought this fight would go until the end. But that is what an 'action sport' is all about. My Boxing trainer said a very interesting thing and I have to agree with him. 'Randy was the lucky one for escaping from your straight punch. Imagine if you hit him right in the chin instead of the eye graze. Certainly he would have been knocked out.'

Belfort continued 'Actually I did not want to win this way. I prepared myself so much for this fight, on the ground, in the stand up game - I did not want to win this way'.

Vitor was still moved with Couture´s attitude after the fight. 'I went to talk to him to say that I did not deserve the title. He proved once again why he is a champion. He showed excellent character, answering that I deserved to win because I trained hard. He even acknowledged passing thru this difficult moment with my sister, and that I stepped into the octagon for this fight'.

Belfort assured that sooner or later he will give a rematch to Couture. 'First of all, I would like to face Wanderlei for the unification of the belts, just like Couture was planing to do. I hope Pride and UFC can come to an agreement. It would be a landmark in the sport. But for sure it will be an honour for me to give Couture a rematch, because he is a truly legend in our sport'. recognized the brazilian fighter.

During the conversation Belfort explained why He did not postpone the match of his life after his sister's disapearence. 'My sister´s biggest dream was always to see me winning against Couture and conquering UFC belt. This fight was a way for me to make her dream come true, so I decided to put all my energy into that and dedicate this title to her'. Belfort expressed a lot of thanks to all his teammates and to the brazilian friends who live in the US, such as Marcus Vinícius (Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu Club) and Ricardo Pires who has an academy in Las Vegas.

On Thursday Belfort and his wife Joana Prado will be back to Rio de Janeiro to continue the most dificult battle of his life, the search for his sister Priscilla who disappeared one month ago.

both of these guys have all the respect in the world for their class, imo.

who would you rather see face silva though? Vitor or Randy?

Comment

vitor is a true man. a very emotional fighter with awesome skills. personally i would rather see vitor vs tito and randy vs silva. silva and randy have never fought. all the other guys have fought each other one time or another.

Comment

Either would make a great match. If I had to choose it would be Silva vs Vitor II....

Comment

i would love to see vitor vs wand again....

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Working...
            X