No announcement yet.

Pac & Clottey's effected the merit of some of Floyd's top wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
    Great post man, I'll take note and watch and watch back some of those fights. Some of the points made I obviously anticipated I just wonder if they account for everything. A part of me still senses there's something else in it. Perhaps a lot also can be accounted for Floyd often not going for the KO, and only really getting on against an aggressive Hatton as he insisted on being predictable, lunging forwards falling into a trap.

Cotto and Pacman are big hitters, and pretty devastating to the body aswell. I do think Pac just looked on another level regardless against ODL which really impressed me, but then he is aggressive and will dominate a fight if the opponent isn't hanging with him, and I spose Osca just wasn't. Woulda been interesting to see Osca not be 147 weeks before the fight and come in at 154ish, as I do agree he looked very flat and fooked himself right up. Cheers again for the top posts fellla's!
    Yeah, watching Oscar-Mayorga the other night was when it really hit home with me. Those combinations, left hooks, I mean, he was sending a guy who is usually pretty durable at 154 on queer street with single shots. I just don't think Pac would be able to stand up to that kind of heat at 154. It is easy sometimes to get caught up in what actually happened and not what could have. It was a mere shell of Oscar in that ring the other night, which would not have been the case if he weighed in at 154 and rehydrated overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by jantzen212003 View Post
      looks like i get to add you to serious poster/debater list. no fanboy bs coming from you when you wanna talk boxing and gain more insight. respect to you! i look forward to gaining insight and debating with you in the future.
      You'll understand I'd be biting my tongue in saying, oh cos I'm a Calzaghe nut hugger I must be all out poo poo. But I'll hold it, thanks for the comments man, and look forward to debating with ya sometime too. What do you think on this thread, tend to agree with any particular points or got another take?

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
        Yeah, watching Oscar-Mayorga the other night was when it really hit home with me. Those combinations, left hooks, I mean, he was sending a guy who is usually pretty durable at 154 on queer street with single shots. I just don't think Pac would be able to stand up to that kind of heat at 154. It is easy sometimes to get caught up in what actually happened and not what could have. It was a mere shell of Oscar in that ring the other night, which would not have been the case if he weighed in at 154 and rehydrated overnight.

In all fairness, hitting a bobbing and weaving PAC isn’t as easy as hitting a non-dimensional buffoon like Mayorga…also, the fact that Oscar felt that his best chance against PAC was coming in as light as possible pretty validates that he lost the mental even battle before the opening bell

Comment

Styles make fights. Floyd's style at the higher weights wasn't based on KOing people and being incredibly aggressive.

Also, it must be said that Floyd fought better versions of Judah and DLH.

The Oscar that Floyd fought was a much healthier version at 154.

And Floyd had already beaten Judah by the time Clottey got to him. And if it wasn't for the low blow, I think Floyd would have KOd Judah anyway.

It's funny though, cos Slappy fought a much worse version of RJJ than the one who had fought Tarver and Johnson, yet he couldn't KO him, like they did. What does that say?

EDIT: Clottey, not Cotto. Although I see both are cited.
          Last edited by Porter's Dad; 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I'm gona leave Joe out of this one, would be nice, plus it's only a can of worms.

Dan, yeh your right, but Pac did gain weight and power very well indeed. He didn't fill he looked a genuinely comfortable and strong at the weight. Roach has to be my favourite trainer right now. His video interview talking about how Pac was gaining weight and mostly muscle, and on ODL being at 147 weeks ago, then only 2lbs heavier were very insightful. His experience in the game is very impressive, he's really had the last laugh over ODL and his other apparent more experiences trainers whom I feel do have questions over their heads, particularly the conditioner.

Going along with ODL at 147 weeks early was dubious, aswell as in the 24/7 saying you did those 12 sparring rounds ok but good hit too much, and he looked fucked. A few alarm bells there were missed and Freddie's perspective is spot on. He and Hopkins were a dangerous tactical team aswell.

Comment

Working...
            X