No announcement yet.

Post-workout protein

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-workout protein

What does everyone here use to repair muscle after your workouts? recently I've just been getting back around time for a meal so I didn't worry about it but now i'm considering using some kind of product, I'm not really interested in things that will add a ton of weight because I'm 5 lbs over my desired weight right now but is there any certain food or product that provides good protein in moderation that you know of?

use some sort of hydrolyzed whey (fastest absorption rate) or AT LEAST something with hydrolyzed whey in it.

stay away from milk protein blends or casein pwo bc they absorb slowly.

www.trueprotein.com you can make your own hydrolyzed whey formula for a pretty decent price.

theres also optimum nutrition gold standard whey

bottomline, you want fast absorbing protein first thing in your pwo. later on you can eat your whole food meal with whatever protein source in it. you want avoid fats as much as possible in your 2-3 hour pwo window though

*edit
    if you're looking for recovery, you might want to look in to BCAAs. you can get them in bulk for pretty cheap at www.bulknutrition.com add 6g-10g of that in your pwo drink and you should improvement in recovery.

you could also try glutamine which i reccommend less than BCAAs bc im not sure how effective it is.

OR the best option for recovery in my opinion is carbs (maltodextrin and dextrose) in a 2:1 ratio to protein in your pwo drink. Weight loss and gain ultimately depends on caloric surplus or defecit but i am sure most people will swear that all this will do is put weight on you.
    Last edited by mkm88414; 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM.

Comment

/

simple answer,

whey protein, mix 1 scoop with milk, and you got a drink with around 20g of protein and its fast absorbing so your muscels can use it,

virtualy no fat in it,

Whey Protein Powder,

Comment

Originally posted by mr tricky View Post
        simple answer,

whey protein, mix 1 scoop with milk, and you got a drink with around 20g of protein and its fast absorbing so your muscels can use it,

virtualy no fat in it,

Whey Protein Powder,
        dont mix with milk, unless you are doing it for a very specific reason and you know why. mix with water.

if you mix it milk its going to have fat in it, and it could have a **** load depending on what kind of milk you use.

it seems like you are neglecting all of the nutritional content of milk because a cup of milk will add protein fats and carbs.

Comment

/

i use semi-skimmed milk,

milk is good it includes protein its self, no too much fats either,

and besides, could you drink choclate water? choclate water shake? ive had 1 wen there was no milk and i was almost throwing up

Comment

Originally posted by mr tricky View Post
            i use semi-skimmed milk,

milk is good it includes protein its self, no too much fats either,

and besides, could you drink choclate water? choclate water shake? ive had 1 wen there was no milk and i was almost throwing up

this thread isn't about you, its about post workout nutrition and the thread starter.

milk has protein, yes. but milks protein is casein (slowest absorbing form of protein). we want protein absorbtion to go as fast as possible for the purpose of pwo nutrition.

the fact that it has ANY fat at all is exactly what puts it off as a base for shake. If you want protein synthesis to go as fast as possible why would you slow it down with any fat if you dont have to?

i dont know why you were throwing up without milk, i drink all my shakes with water.

even if you argued the case of fat free milk bc of the carbs and protein included, you would be much better off adding the carbs from maltodextrin, dextrose, or waxy maize and the protein from more whey.

BUT to each his own, if you want to have it with milk im definitely not trying to stop you, but i wanted to let the threadstarter know that choice isnt the best one. thats all.

Comment

I just eat a piece of meat after my workout. It works for me. I don't use any supplements. It's been working far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by mkm88414 View Post
                this thread isn't about you, its about post workout nutrition and the thread starter.

milk has protein, yes. but milks protein is casein (slowest absorbing form of protein). we want protein absorbtion to go as fast as possible for the purpose of pwo nutrition.

the fact that it has ANY fat at all is exactly what puts it off as a base for shake. If you want protein synthesis to go as fast as possible why would you slow it down with any fat if you dont have to?

i dont know why you were throwing up without milk, i drink all my shakes with water.

even if you argued the case of fat free milk bc of the carbs and protein included, you would be much better off adding the carbs from maltodextrin, dextrose, or waxy maize and the protein from more whey.

BUT to each his own, if you want to have it with milk im definitely not trying to stop you, but i wanted to let the threadstarter know that choice isnt the best one. thats all.
                fat free milk has zero fat

Comment

http://www.hyperstrike.com/Nutrition...ticle-148.aspx

Comment

Thanks a ton for the help I'm going to look into these some more, I'm glad I got to learn about it from someone not selling it haha.

Comment

Working...
                    X