Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Hearns' welterweight resume is limited for an ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you judge a fighter based on his resume or his ability? He lost to SRL, but he put on a hell of a display of boxing. He outboxed and hurt SRL like no one else. Hearns was undoubtedly his toughest opponent. I have no idea why you picked Margarito as a comparison (Someone whose success is under scrutiny), but his competition does not say much. His only win of note is Cotto (which is looked down upon because of his scandal). Cotto, who after his numerous losses, beat him in a lop sided match. Clottey and Cintron fail to stand apart from Hearns' welterweight competition. When I look at performance, I see a more complete fighter in Hearns than I do in Margarito. Hearns reached a level of boxing ability that few can. He wasn't flawless by any means, but there is no way he was not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Babatunde View Post
      I wasn't comparing his overall body of work it's just that I felt his wins i listed were notable wins whereas the likes of Weston weren't notable wins for Hearns imo but if you consider them notable that's fine, i respect your opinion....

I did say Judah and Morales were good wins, along with Matthysse and Khan which you CONVINIENTLY LEFT OUT, anyway that's off topic.

I have seen the fight, just because it wasn't blood and cuts all over the ring with 4 knockdowns it don't mean it didn't take a lot out of Duran or that it wasn't a war, it was a techincal but vicious fight. And like i said he was already damaged from nearly 80 fights hence he was clearly past his best for Hearns.

Yes i really want you to draw up a list comparing the era's from 122 to heavyweight. Don't just do 2014 because that wouldn't be fair compared to the whole of the era Hearns fought in.

I want to see your list from 1975-89 compared to 2000-2014, it'll be awkward when your trying so hard to think of names and then realise mid-list there isn't much of a difference. Please don't abandon the list, you offered it bro. Maybe it was a bluff but i'm calling your bluff. Put ya money where ya mouth is.
      But of course! what an idiotic reasoning. Mentioning the other two wins does not make the wins against Judah and Morales good wins.

Comment

I think hearns was heavily favored to ko sugar in that first fight...that was how frightening tommy was on the way up...nobody even knew he had boxing skills until sugar started outslugging him...great to see he became a high ranking atg after all was said and done

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
          Do you think Duran looked like a game fighter that night? Even the commentators were talking how Duran dropped 40 lbs just to make weight. I'm not trying to take anything away from Hearns but Duran was shot to **** that night.
          you can't be shot one night and then be good in later fights.

you're either shot or not.

he wasn't shot yet hearns fight.

off night maybe.

or was it a 6 ft 1 opponent with massive reach and great boxing skills?

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            you can't be shot one night and then be good in later fights.

you're either shot or not.

he wasn't shot yet hearns fight.

off night maybe.

or was it a 6 ft 1 opponent with massive reach and great boxing skills?
            An experienced fighter like Duran would know how to fight a taller fighter. He would be trying to get under his jab and trying to get to Hearns body. Duran was standing with his chin straight up in the air. He looked like a tomato can in the ring. He looked nothing like an ATG.

Comment

An experienced fighter like Duran would know how to fight a taller fighter. He would be trying to get under his jab and trying to get to Hearns body. Duran was standing with his chin straight up in the air. He looked like a tomato can in the ring. He looked nothing like an ATG.

africa was better off when it was run by white ppl.

Comment

It's what Hearns did overall that matters.

Comment

That changes with great tall fighters. He would of been able to do something like that with Paul Williams, but with Hearns, it changes. Part of having much much better movement*not running*.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                    That changes with great tall fighters. He would of been able to do something like that with Paul Williams, but with Hears, it changes.
                    Spend 9 minutes out of your life and rewatch the fight. I know Hearns was a killer but Duran was not the same fighter that night. To be honest he looked like a complete joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                      That changes with great tall fighters. He would of been able to do something like that with Paul Williams, but with Hears, it changes.
                      nah man.

it's EASY to fight a guy 6 inches taller with much longer reach, who is younger, with great power and great boxing skills.

just get under the jab, brah!

Comment

Working...
                      X