Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you agree that nirvana was the last great/critical acclaimed american band?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by larryXdavid View Post
    theyre pretty unique band.
    im still a fan of them to this day. but i didnt care much about their latest album. i like some songs on the the stadium arcadium,
    I definitely feel they have a legacy as one of the great american rock bands.

I enjoyed I'm With You. Factory of Faith, Ethiopia, Brendans Death Song, Look Around, Police Station, Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie. It had just tracks I liked.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      The Peppers man, you turn on a Peppers song, you know it's them.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication are classics. They also have One Hot Minute, By the Way, Stadium Arcadium, and I'm With You. Mothers Milk was alright too, and I wasn't a fan of their early albums.

Under the Bridge, Give It Away, Suck My Kiss, My Friends, Scar Tissue, Otherside, Around the World, Road Trippin', Can't Stop, Don't Forget Me, By the Way, Dani California, Tell Me Baby, Snow, etc. So many great songs throughout their career.
      A bunch of great songs that make no sense whatsoever.

Seriously, what kind of drugs do you have to be on to pull these lyrics out of your ass?

"I know I know for sure
      A ling dang bong dang ding a bong dung day
      I know I know it's you
      A bing dang long dong bing dang dong bon gnay"
      "Standing in line to see the show tonight
      and there's a light on, heavy glow
      By the way I'd try to say I'd be there,
      waiting for"
      "Steak knife. Card shark.
      Con job. Boot-cut."
      "First born unicorn
      Hardcore soft ****"
      "Grass Hopper Show Stopper
      The life of a Wife Swapper
      Come with me cuz' I'm a big bopper
      You do but I wopper"
      These don't sound like the writings of a lyrical genius to me, they sound like the inane ramblings of a schizophrenic who has been struck in the head with a tack hammer repeatedly.

John Frusciante was the only talent that band ever had.

You know you're a great guitar player when you get recognized as such despite nearly being drowned out on every record by the ******ed slap bass tactics of Flea and the vacant rhythmic pseudo-rapping of Anthony Keidis pulling words out of his ass.

Comment

I definitely feel they have a legacy as one of the great american rock bands.

I enjoyed I'm With You. Factory of Faith, Ethiopia, Brendans Death Song, Look Around, Police Station, Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie. It had just tracks I liked.

theyre one of the best 90s band.

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post

Seriously, what kind of drugs do you have to be on to pull these lyrics out of your ass?

These don't sound like the writings of a lyrical genius to me, they sound like the inane ramblings of a schizophrenic who has been struck in the head with a tack hammer repeatedly.

You know you're a great guitar player when you get recognized as such despite nearly being drowned out on every record by the ******ed slap bass tactics of Flea and the vacant rhythmic pseudo-rapping of Anthony Keidis pulling words out of his ass.
        but in the end its all about the melody...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
          David Bowie is the most talented man to grace this planet.

David Bowie's greatest talent was always picking up on the latest sounds and trends - while they were still fresh - and incorporating them into his work and introducing them to a mass audience.

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
          Cobain's anti mainstream image basically shaped how the biggest bands since then portray themselves to the media. I can see those influences in Tool and Radiohead.

Cobain's "anti mainstream image" was as contrived and laughably transparent as any of the gender-bending shredders of the Glam Metal era. And that sort of posturing was hardly innovated by Cobain.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post

Flea is a great bass player, we can agree to disagree.

The Peppers are very original, and are we going to forget the songs they've made like Under the Bridge???

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great band.

Comment

• One of the greatest 90's songs hands down.

Comment

Flea is a great bass player, we can agree to disagree.

The Peppers are very original, and are we going to forget the songs they've made like Under the Bridge???

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are a great band.
                'Under the Brdge' is an exception to the rule. A fantastic song, I'll give it that, but definitely not the norm as far as Chili Peppers songs go.

"Space may be the final frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement. Cobain can you hear the spheres
                singing songs off Station to Station. And Alderon's not far away it's Californication"
                In that very brief passage, Keidis manages to combine references to 'Star Trek', Kurt Cobain, a Bowie album, and the fictional 'Star Wars' planet of Alderon. It's like his songwriting process consists of nothing more than writing down hundreds of random pop culture references on little pieces of paper, sticking them up his ass one at a time, taking a few laxatives, and then seeing what comes out of his ass.

I'm all for an artist being metaphorical (infact, the band this thread is about is quite metaphorical at times), but it seems to me that Keidis's overdone metaphors and habitual referencing of things that are infinitely better than RHCP is nothing more than a hollow attempt to sound deeper or more creative than he actually is.

And no, they're not very original, either. They've blantantly ripped off a variety of other musicians including, but not limited to, George Clinton, Tom Petty, and Faith No More.
                Last edited by ßringer; 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

'Under the Brdge' is an exception to the rule. A fantastic song, I'll give it that, but definitely not the norm as far as Chili Peppers songs go.

In that very brief passage, Keidis manages to combine references to 'Star Trek', Kurt Cobain, a Bowie album, and the fictional 'Star Wars' planet of Alderon. It's like his songwriting process consists of nothing more than writing down hundreds of random pop culture references on little pieces of paper, sticking them up his ass one at a time, taking a few laxatives, and then seeing what comes out of his ass.

I'm all for an artist being metaphorical (infact, the band this thread is about is quite metaphorical at times), but it seems to me that Keidis's overdone metaphors and habitual referencing of things that are infinitely better than RHCP is nothing more than a hollow attempt to sound deeper or more creative than he actually is.

And no, they're not very original, either. They've blantantly ripped off a variety of other musicians including, but not limited to, George Clinton, Tom Petty, and Faith No More.
                  That's like saying Eminem ripped of AZ and Cannibus, would you say so??? Everyone is influenced by someone, but when you hear an Eminem song, you know it's him. When you hear a Peppers song, you know it's them.

Comment

That's like saying Eminem ripped of AZ and Cannibus, would you say so??? Everyone is influenced by someone, but when you hear an Eminem song, you know it's him. When you hear a Peppers song, you know it's them.
                    Yeah, but Eminem is actually talented and coherent. Plus he sounds nothing like his influences (Dre, Isham, LL, the Beastie Boys), whereas the Peppers sound like a watered down non-political ripoff of theirs (George Clinton).

Comment

Yeah, but Eminem is actually talented and coherent. Plus he sounds nothing like his influences (Dre, Isham, LL, the Beastie Boys), whereas the Peppers sound like a watered down non-political ripoff of theirs (George Clinton).
                      Well it's obvious you don't like the Peppers but a lot, A LOT, of people would disagree with you.

Comment

Working...
                      X