Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much difference does a passionate home crowd make?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NYG View Post
    It's always a positive when you have people in the crowd backing you up. Not sure if it determines a winner but i'm sure it gives you a level of comfort. I bet guys want to be at home moreso than on the road
    That's very individual. Some athletes feel the pressure when they fight/perform at home. The pressure to not let your people down can be too much.

MMA fighter Alex Gustafsson felt that way going into the fight against Rumble two years ago in front of a sold out Arena in Stockholm where evreyone was rooting for him and he got sparked after two minutes. He had never been that nervous before and couldn't handle the pressure.

He's now back to fight in Stockholm on Saturday, so it's time for Alex to face his demons again.

Comment

1. Some flurries that don't land sometimes land in the eyes of the judges because of the audience reaction
      2. Home crowd can actually hinder a fighter at times if he sacrifices his skills to please his fans
      3. I don't care what anyone says, but at the back of every judge's mind has to be some thought of, "Will this go down well with the crowd?", not saying it influences every decision made, but I wouldn't be so naive as to believe in a pure, reasoning automaton judge who doesn't feel swayed and/or afraid once or twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Even the best fighters can get taken aback by a moment doe wouldn't you agree?

I mean the more focused a athlete is the less likely anything can f#ck with them, but its unreasonable to suggest a human doesn't have some breaking point with something like this. And for sure there are guys with higher or lower breaking points that can still be elite level fighters.

I'd look no further than many top guys who fought Tyson when he was scary as f#ck. Michael Spinks is nothing if not a elite level boxer who'd been in with & beaten the likes of Larry Holmes twice. But dude did not show up for his fight with Tyson.

It can happen to the best fighters man.
        that is what separates the good athletes from the great/special athletes

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
          You need to look at both sides of the coin not just from Spence's point of view, mah dood.
          Has nothing to do with Spence..i am speaking in general..an athlete is taught to focus and block things out..like i said the better prepared athlete comes on on top....

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
            that is what separates the good athletes from the great/special athletes
            Okay so you're talking about the top 2 or 3 guys of an era then? Yea I wouldn't disagree with you there more or less. Its a tiny tiny tiny group of people we are talking about doe.

Most cats got a breaking point & I'd argue even the "greats" & "special" guys had breaking points they just never found them vs the guys & situations they were in so there is the appearance of them not having one more than thats a real thing thats even attainable.

Comment

At the end of the day the only person getting hit are the two boxers. I really don't think the fans play any significant part, it can be added pressure to some degree. Hatton was so pumped up for Mayweather and Pac because he wanted to impress the travelling screaming fans that he got KTFO twice.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                Has nothing to do with Spence..i am speaking in general..an athlete is taught to focus and block things out..like i said the better prepared athlete comes on on top....
                Wth are you talking about? If you're fighting/playing at home you get behind your crowd to ride the momentum...

Wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  Wth are you talking about? If you're fighting/playing at home you get behind your crowd to ride the momentum...

Wtf?
                  different strokes for different folks man..the special ones are not bothered and thrive off of the pressure of hostile crowds..thats why Jordan use to light the Knicks up

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
                    That's very individual. Some athletes feel the pressure when they fight/perform at home. The pressure to not let your people down can be too much.

MMA fighter Alex Gustafsson felt that way going into the fight against Rumble two years ago in front of a sold out Arena in Stockholm where evreyone was rooting for him and he got sparked after two minutes. He had never been that nervous before and couldn't handle the pressure.

He's now back to fight in Stockholm on Saturday, so it's time for Alex to face his demons again.

This is exact thing that I pointed out last week, I think Brook is under a lot of pressure here. He is the champion/beltholder, fighting at home, fighting someone who is suppose to give him a tougher time.

Basically in all his years at one weight he had one good name on his resume, he was anointed as the best 147 on the planet without actually proving it in the ring, now here comes Spence who is hungry and an up and comer. Brook has to win this fight and prove he really is that man we all knew or thought he was at 147.

Comment

Working...
                    X