Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    I do shadow boxing in the pool

Comment

My boy is a competitive swimmer, so he does almost all training in the water during swim season. He is in great shape, including upper body and core strength The one drawback I see with him is that the swimming does not condition his joints the way a higher impact exercise would. He struggles big time with sore leg joints after swim season is over and going into track season. Running, jumping rope, heavy bag work, these higher impact exercises, all condition the tendons around the joint and increase bone density. Swimming is good in moderation for boxing , but probably will not condition your joints for higher impact activities. Just something to keep in mind since we're on this topic

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy360 View Post
        I use swimming on my kids off days. I have him do laps and it has really helped his cardio on run days. In competition I've yet to see my kid come off the matt winded.
        A swimmer who has been training for a year has 15% greater lung capacity than a non swimmer? Or am I making that up.

Comment

Originally posted by M0ller View Post
          Decided to start swimming 3 times a week, do you guys have any good drills in The water ?
          Just do laps, no matter how far you can run or how many rounds you do a lap will zap your energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            Just do laps, no matter how far you can run or how many rounds you do a lap will zap your energy.
            Laps are really killer on some days.

Comment

Every summer I work up to an hour of non stop lap swimming. I'm not fast or graceful or powerful but I can last a while. For me it is more therapeutic than anything else. My effort/swim speed is probably analogous to someone going for an hour's walk. I do get a pleasant upper body pump though.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
                Every summer I work up to an hour of non stop lap swimming. I'm not fast or graceful or powerful but I can last a while. For me it is more therapeutic than anything else. My effort/swim speed is probably analogous to someone going for an hour's walk. I do get a pleasant upper body pump though.
                How many laps do you get in?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  How many laps do you get in?
                  I've never counted but roughly 60-70. When I visit my parents' lake house I swim parallel to shore for a half mile in each direction and it takes roughly an hour or so depending on the current.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                    My boy is a competitive swimmer, so he does almost all training in the water during swim season. He is in great shape, including upper body and core strength The one drawback I see with him is that the swimming does not condition his joints the way a higher impact exercise would. He struggles big time with sore leg joints after swim season is over and going into track season. Running, jumping rope, heavy bag work, these higher impact exercises, all condition the tendons around the joint and increase bone density. Swimming is good in moderation for boxing , but probably will not condition your joints for higher impact activities. Just something to keep in mind since we're on this topic
                    I have heard that while swimming is a great exercise the one drawback is that it doesn't help with bone density.

So they don't recommend it for women looking to prevent osteoporosis for example.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      I have heard that while swimming is a great exercise the one drawback is that it doesn't help with bone density.

So they don't recommend it for women looking to prevent osteoporosis for example.
                      I've read it doesn't help with weight loss either since your core temperature never rises.

Comment

Working...
                      X