No announcement yet.

Uh-Oh, Vegetarians: We Have Some Bad News

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-Oh, Vegetarians: We Have Some Bad News

Researchers from Cornell University have concluded that long-term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which can raise the risk of being diagnosed with the top two killers in America: heart disease and cancer.

According to the new study, populations that have been mainly vegetarian for generations tend to carry a DNA mutation that makes it easier for them to absorb essential fatty acids from plants. But this is problematic because it boosts the production of arachidonic acid, which is known to increase inflammatory disease and cancer.

"When coupled with a diet high in vegetable oils - such as sunflower oil - the mutated gene quickly turns fatty acids into dangerous arachidonic acid," the Telegraph explains. "The finding may help explain previous research which found vegetarian populations are nearly 40 per cent more likely to suffer colorectal cancer than meat eaters, a finding that has puzzled doctors because eating red meat is known to raise the risk."

The Telegraph also points out that vegetarianism can be particularly problematic for men:

Previous studies have shown that vegetarianism and veganism can lead to problems with fertility by lowering sperm counts.

Separate research from Harvard University also found that a diet high in fruit and vegetables may impact fertility because men are consuming high quan****** of pesticides.

Many vegetarians also struggle to get enough protein, iron, vitamin D, vitamin B12 and calcium which are essential for health. One study found that vegetarians had approximately five percent lower bone-mineral density (BMD) than non-vegetarians.

Though you may eliminate yourself from the gene pool, you also probably won't have diabetes or obesity. Win some, lose some.

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Researchers from Cornell University have concluded that long-term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which can raise the risk of being diagnosed with the top two killers in America: heart disease and cancer.

According to the new study, populations that have been mainly vegetarian for generations tend to carry a DNA mutation that makes it easier for them to absorb essential fatty acids from plants. But this is problematic because it boosts the production of arachidonic acid, which is known to increase inflammatory disease and cancer.

"When coupled with a diet high in vegetable oils - such as sunflower oil - the mutated gene quickly turns fatty acids into dangerous arachidonic acid," the Telegraph explains. "The finding may help explain previous research which found vegetarian populations are nearly 40 per cent more likely to suffer colorectal cancer than meat eaters, a finding that has puzzled doctors because eating red meat is known to raise the risk."

The Telegraph also points out that vegetarianism can be particularly problematic for men:

Previous studies have shown that vegetarianism and veganism can lead to problems with fertility by lowering sperm counts.

Separate research from Harvard University also found that a diet high in fruit and vegetables may impact fertility because men are consuming high quan****** of pesticides.

Many vegetarians also struggle to get enough protein, iron, vitamin D, vitamin B12 and calcium which are essential for health. One study found that vegetarians had approximately five percent lower bone-mineral density (BMD) than non-vegetarians.

Though you may eliminate yourself from the gene pool, you also probably won't have diabetes or obesity. Win some, lose some.
    Conclusion: Humans have built a wall of cancer threat around them. There is no escape, so just enjoy your life while it last.

Comment

I did the vegetarian thing for a year and a half when I was in college due to health concerns.

I felt a bit better, but there was this never-ending hunger that wouldn't go away no matter how much I ate.

Also, lost so much weight and looked so thin that everyone started to ask me if I was sick.

Then I ditched that crappy lifestyle and ate some pepper steak as my first meat meal in almost two years.

And I was happy.

Be happy too..eat some meat

Comment

I did the vegan thing for awhile & felt like I was at a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale of needing to take a sh^t all day. Wake up at 6. Go to sleep at a 6. Go out at a 6. At the grocery store at a 6. Felt like I needed to know where a bathroom was at at all times lol. That didn't suit me.

That said these hardcore meat eating mfers who only sh^t once every 3-5 days ain't doing it right either.

Gotta find that nice middle ground.

Comment

Humans are omnivores thats a biological fact.

Comment

I think sacrificing some vegans to save some cows pigs and chickens is a good trade-off.

Comment

Need middle ground
              Thats it

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

corn isn't even a vegetable.

Comment

Working...
                X