Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lackluster seven (Ward grinds out win on review)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lackluster seven (Ward grinds out win on review)

Important update edit, Starz is currently airing the magnificent seven, with Steve McQueen. Is an outlaw movie set in Mexico. I'm betting action packed! Serendipity.......true sht

K W
    (1) 10 9

(2)10 8

(3)9 10 (Wards pulls it together, lays framework for his fight)

(4)9 10 (both did very little Ward for Defense+ ring generalship)
    (5)10 9 (close round Kovalev lands significant shot late)
    (6)9 10 ( Ward initiative clean effective punching)
    (7)9 10 (Ward lands a good body shot, Kovalev looks better than in rounds (8)3 5 and seven but Ward gets it for sake of "objectivity." Neither convincingly earn it)
    (9)9 10 ( the hallmark round of the fight, Ward lands some powerful jabs and a few straights, Kovalev lands some jabs that don't look as sexy or effective, the only significant power punch of the round is landed by Kovalev, but he doesn't look confident or energized, Ward throws many good looking punches that don't land, Kovalev isn't active enough)
    (10)10 9 ( Kovalev looks good in first championship round)
    (11)9 10 (Ward does a little more, Kovalev looks drained, loops his punches and has balance issues, though he wins second minute of the round, could go to either guy but Ward lands two significant "power punches" that looked good)
    (12)9 10 (Ward closes)

So with the sound off and trying to be objective, Kovalev didnt do enough, Ward did just enough to put himself in position to receive a win.

But, rounds 4 8 9 and 11 were very close. You can make an argument for Kovalev winning any of those rounds. The judges must have given him none or 1.

And Kovalev staggered him in round 1 and dropped him in round two. (Not relevant as scoring is done via electoral college and not a popular vote. I.e. round by round and not cumulative) but Kovalev won the fight as a whole and was not given any of the four close rounds of the seven he lost.

How little Ward did to "win" this fight was amazing, but no robbery. I retract my view of that.
    Last edited by boxing_pundit85; 11-22-2016, 06:32 PM.

Originally posted by boxing_pundit85 View Post
    How little Ward did to "win" this fight was amazing, but no robbery. I retract my view of that.
    Regardless of what you said before, I always have tremendous respect for people who aren't afraid to take another look, or say when they're wrong. Intelligent minds are always looking, stale minds are inflexible.
    Green k sent.

Comment

Boxing scoring is flawed like that, win 6 rounds by an inch is essentially the same as winning 6 rounds by blowout if no knockdowns occur. It takes such an insane round to get a 10-8 round without a knockdown that literally a fight is going to end anyway because such a beating is occurring.

It doesn't make sense logically and should be addressed. I will just come back to what I always say bring in half points as that can give a judge options to score very close rounds closer, clear rounds one way and blow out rounds another way. It would also give judges options on knockdown because not all knockdowns should count the same.

It is still not perfect but I think that is much better than the one size fit all that the current 10 point must system is.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Regardless of what you said before, I always have tremendous respect for people who aren't afraid to take another look, or say when they're wrong. Intelligent minds are always looking, stale minds are inflexible.
        Green k sent.
        Thx bro...

would like to see Ward pick him apart in rematch or Kovalev ko him. A clear and obvious winner.. Don't think either is likely tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Green k sent.
          Very true , smart people always look at all the angles while the not so smart are always stuck inside railway tracks and never try to look at the other perspective .

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            Boxing scoring is flawed like that, win 6 rounds by an inch is essentially the same as winning 6 rounds by blowout if no knockdowns occur. It takes such an insane round to get a 10-8 round without a knockdown that literally a fight is going to end anyway because such a beating is occurring.

It doesn't make sense logically and should be addressed. I will just come back to what I always say bring in half points as that can give a judge options to score very close rounds closer, clear rounds one way and blow out rounds another way. It would also give judges options on knockdown because not all knockdowns should count the same.

It is still not perfect but I think that is much better than the one size fit all that the current 10 point must system is.
            Thats why boxing judges should score more rounds even, like i do. You have to 'win' a round, i think judges just toss a coin when it comes to giving rounds to fighters when its close. If theres no clear winner, score it even.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
              Thats why boxing judges should score more rounds even, like i do. You have to 'win' a round, i think judges just toss a coin when it comes to giving rounds to fighters when its close. If theres no clear winner, score it even.
              To me scoring even rounds is a cop out because there is almost always something to pick out, it is just that narrowly winning a round should not count the same as lighting someone up. Scoring too many rounds even makes for wishy-washy scoring when judges are there to make a decisive decision.

Most scoring controversies stem from this though because anyone who just watches a bit of boxing will not get it and some fans will never want to get it that a close round and a blow out round are the exact same thing currently.

Comment

there is noway in hell ward won the 6th

Comment

Good post. I admit that boxing scoring is flawed. You can get brutally beaten and dropped once but if you eek out 7 uneventful rounds you still win the fight. Look at Bradley vs Provodnikov. Bradley was concussed and knocked out on his feet but he quietly bagged enough rounds to outpoint his opponent.

Comment

Working...
                  X