Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural ability or You Can Train For. What do you think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural ability or You Can Train For. What do you think?

How much of what makes up a fighter is natural ability vs. what they can train for?

Many of these things isn't either or, so let's give it a percentage.

State how much each trait you think is attributed to natural ability (either born with or environment makes you this way).

My scores are below.

Speed (80% natural)
    Power (60% Natural)
    Reflexes (65% natural)
    Punching technique (30% natural)
    Footwork/Movement (40% natural)
    Ring intelligence (15% natural - Some can grasp concepts better)
    Timing (15% natural - some can grasp concept better)
    Ring Instincts (30% natural)
    Heart/Courage/Fearlessness (85% natural - Circumstances/life can create)
    Vision (30% Natural)
    Mental Focus (30% natural)

When you think about it, so much of what makes guys great at this sport is natural ability. The work to maximize those abilities is what separates the good from the great, and the great from the elite.

I believe and I witnessed that any talent comes from God. However, a man must put some work on to reveal this talent or build upon it. This solves all these debates about natural vs. trained abilities.

Comment

There are some boxers that have natural ability in certain areas, but at the end of the day I think that its how much a fighter works hard at his craft. Look at how many boxers dont have the raw talent that others have, but they make it to the top of the sport with dedication and will. I also think its a mental thing, there are boxers that have less natural ability, yet they will make it farther than their fellow boxers with advanced natural ability.

Comment

You really can't put a measurement or percentage unless you get a person you has never boxed before and you measure all these qualities before he us thought the art of boxing as well as the preparation. The neasure his progress after he gas become well trained to be considered a boxer. Only then you can determine how much is a natural gift and how much us learned. No one walks into a gym knowing how to box without being thought. Natural abilities or quality would be strength, speed, balance, cordination and many other things.

Comment

Its extremely complex with so many factors no way my guess or anyone elses will come anywhere near the right answer.

There are plenty of champions that wernt naturals and plenty of champions that were.

So dont be disheartend if you arnt a natural be disheartend if you try everything and still get walked through, thats the time to quit.

Comment

Classic case of Makunochi and Ichiro

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
              How much of what makes up a fighter is natural ability vs. what they can train for?

Many of these things isn't either or, so let's give it a percentage.

State how much each trait you think is attributed to natural ability (either born with or environment makes you this way).

My scores are below.

Speed (80% natural)
              Power (60% Natural)
              Reflexes (65% natural)
              Punching technique (30% natural)
              Footwork/Movement (40% natural)
              Ring intelligence (15% natural - Some can grasp concepts better)
              Timing (15% natural - some can grasp concept better)
              Ring Instincts (30% natural)
              Heart/Courage/Fearlessness (85% natural - Circumstances/life can create)
              Vision (30% Natural)
              Mental Focus (30% natural)

When you think about it, so much of what makes guys great at this sport is natural ability. The work to maximize those abilities is what separates the good from the great, and the great from the elite.

i think reflexes has the highest % of innate natural ability.

you just cant teach what pernell whitaker can do.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                Its extremely complex with so many factors no way my guess or anyone elses will come anywhere near the right answer.

There are plenty of champions that wernt naturals and plenty of champions that were.

So dont be disheartend if you arnt a natural be disheartend if you try everything and still get walked through, thats the time to quit.
                It not extremely complex at all. It all body kinetics, muscle memory, coordination and invariables. At least this is my theory on learning any sport that i have given some taught.

Body kinetics: To me this is your body's ability to move. This can be improved by learning anything. It could be learning to throw with your bad hand or kick a football with your bad foot. This all to me improves your body's movement and ability to deliver kinetic energy through it. ( A boxing example of this is when I switch stance to teach my self to box southpaw. The role your arm plays switch and they are taught to move and react differently. This in theory will improve your punches from a orthodox stance.

Muscle memory: This is our body's ability to remember how to throw the punches properly and in a fight situation. simple.

Coordination: This governs accuracy, distance control and balance.

Invariables: Last but not least if the other guy is willing to eat your punches and more and your a *****, skills can mean **** all.
                Last edited by ImStillHere; 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

As a boxing trainer, there are no doubt abilities that you are born with. Three most prominent are power, speed and chin.

I don't have a set time table for kids to start sparring or get them their first amateur fight. Some can take as little as 4-6 months, some take 2 years until I feel they are ready.

All of that is because some kids figure things out faster than others. You can learn certain things but you can't teach certain things either.

You cannot teach a kid to have 1 punch KO power. You can't teach a kid to be as fast as Meldrick Taylor. You can't teach a kid to have the heart and chin of Antonio Margarito.

Those things you are born with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Keni Styles View Post
                    i think reflexes has the highest % of innate natural ability.

you just cant teach what pernell whitaker can do.
                    reflexes = well trained eyes............ Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X