Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard Steele's Call on Chavez-Taylor I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forbes called Steeles call "one of the worst calls of all time".

"Steele's intentions may have been noble, but with two seconds left and the opponent standing several feet away after a knockdown, there's essentially no chance of a fighter taking another serious blow. Taylor's welterweight crown and winner's purse were gone, flushed away by Steele."

http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/03/tig...rst-calls.html

Comment

I think it was the right call. Steele's job wasn't timekeeper. And although Taylor was going to win the fight, why should it matter at what time Chavez knocks him down and Meldrick doesn't reply to the ref, making Julio win the fight. If Steele was to make the same call in round 5, no one would complain, but Meldrick would still be in the same state he was in just with a longer time left. Its like in basketball if one team is playing worse but behind by two points, and in the last 2 seconds scores a 3 pointer, you can't say oh that isn't fair the other team was better and going to win until that happened with 2 seconds left. If Chavez puts Meldrick in the state he was, not able to fight further, it shouldn't matter how longs left, Chavez wins.

Comment

Originally posted by "The Hitman" View Post
        I think it was the right call. Steele's job wasn't timekeeper. And although Taylor was going to win the fight, why should it matter at what time Chavez knocks him down and Meldrick doesn't reply to the ref, making Julio win the fight. If Steele was to make the same call in round 5, no one would complain, but Meldrick would still be in the same state he was in just with a longer time left. Its like in basketball if one team is playing worse but behind by two points, and in the last 2 seconds scores a 3 pointer, you can't say oh that isn't fair the other team was better and going to win until that happened with 2 seconds left. If Chavez puts Meldrick in the state he was, not able to fight further, it shouldn't matter how longs left, Chavez wins.
        Bad comparison. A last second shot in basketball is official, not a judgement call. It is a referee's job to be aware of the round, the time remaining, and every other factor in the fight. Most boxing referees would agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Bad comparison. A last second shot in basketball is official, not a judgement call. It is a referee's job to be aware of the round, the time remaining, and every other factor in the fight. Most boxing referees would agree with this.
          I'm glad you pointed that out because I get so sick of reading "It's not Steel's job to be a timekeeper". It is his job.

Comment

If you can't answer a simple yes or no question thats been asked twice,

a ref sees you as being out of it, no matter how much time is left. Had he let the fight continue, Chavez could have landed one more punch just as Mosley did on Mayorga with 5 seconds left.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Chingas View Post

a ref sees you as being out of it, no matter how much time is left. Had he let the fight continue, Chavez could have landed one more punch just as Mosley did on Mayorga with 5 seconds left.

I never expect intelligent or objective comments from you. It's good to see you're staying true to form.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Chingas View Post

Mosley was nowhere near the neutral corner though.

Ref made a mistake there.

If all was normal Mayorga would have finished on his feet there.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
                  I can't believe that.

Taylor had it won, even with that knockdown. I find it to be completely unbelievable that he did that, and to be quite honest unforgivable.

There was like 2 seconds left in the fight, and he decided to stop it... Wow
                  Taylor lost that fight even if Mr. Steele didn't stop that fight(long term damage). I mean look at Taylor! Chavez ended his career that night. If some how ,some way the fight would've been stopped early, maybe Taylor would've had a great career.

Comment

Originally posted by LAkers85 View Post
                    Taylor lost that fight even if Mr. Steele didn't stop that fight(long term damage). I mean look at Taylor! Chavez ended his career that night. If some how ,some way the fight would've been stopped early, maybe Taylor would've had a great career.
                    Not really...despite not being 100% of what he was, Taylor had the 2nd best win of his career after Chavez.

And without Chavez, I doubt Taylor's career changes much really. He was never going to beat the likes of Norris & Espana at 147 and above.
                    Last edited by Thread Stealer; 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
                      Mosley was nowhere near the neutral corner though.

Ref made a mistake there.

If all was normal Mayorga would have finished on his feet there.
                      Neither was Chavez. At the time that Steele waved his hands which was at 5 seconds,, Chavez was lurking a few feet behind Steele. Had he motioned for the fight to continue, its not out of question that Chavez could have easily swooped in with another punch ala Mosley.

Comment

Working...
                      X