Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The welterweight division now has three stars,"Dan Goosen interview.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The welterweight division now has three stars,"Dan Goosen interview.

By G. Leon

GL: What can we expect to see from Paul on Saturday night? "Exactly what we see from him every fight, ACTION." GL: What are you hoping a victory over Cintron leads to? "The name of the event is the "Weight is Over" for a reason. Paul's a natural 147 pounder fighting above his weight because when he was welterweight champion no one wanted to fight him. Now Cotto, Margarito (who Paul sued to fight and then beat him), Judah, Mosley, Clottey are all being recycled again. The welterweight division now has three stars, Manny, Floyd and with a victory Saturday night, Paul. The biggest fight that can be made is of course Manny against Floyd. Paul can wait for the winner of that fight. But if for some reason that fight doesn't get made, that will leave two super stars without an opponent and that's where Paul steps in. The days of Manny challenging a Clottey (insert the other recycles) instead of a Williams can only bring our sport down, when everything is there to bring it up. If Paul would have been fighting Floyd Mayweather last Saturday, I truly believe the numbers would have been higher, PPV and gate. Paul's reputation and status has grown to a much higher level in the past 12 months, and will only continue to rise until the fans demand these fighters step into the ring with him."

GL: Do you think we'll ever see Paul at welterweight again? I only ask because I'm sure there's a few guys down there he'd love to fight.

DG: Our goal for this fight Saturday was to have it a welterweight bout. HBO preferred the Cintron fight. So here we are. But with a victory Paul, George, Al and myself are looking at 147 pounds in our next fight.

GL: Can you give us some thoughts on Arreola's recent loss to Adamek?

DG: These are the type of fights that you want to do over as soon as possible. Believe me it was a real off night for Chris. You could see he wasn't as fluid as usual.

GL: HBO is in love with him so even though his conditioning doesn't dictate it, he's probably going to get another shot. Do you think he's ever going to get it together conditioning wise because if he trained as often as he curses he'd be a beast?

DG: Not only HBO, but the fans love him. It was an exciting fight regardless ofthe outcome. The division need fighters like Arreola. In regard to his conditioning, experience teaches young fighters like Chris to come to conclusions on why certain things happen, winning or losing. There is no one that hates losing more them him and if conditioning is preventing him from being the winner, I believe he'll be smart enough to make the needed adjustments.

GL: What's the haps with Eddie Chambers, Tony Thompson and James Toney your other heavies?

DG: The heavyweight broadcast picture in America is down. Each of them in their own right deserve another opportunity to challenge for the heavyweight championship and that is what we will try to get for them.

GL: As always a pleasure, closing thoughts.

DG: We're looking for Paul to turn the welterweight, super welterweight and middleweight divisions on their heads Saturday with another impressive, manly, exciting performance. Then its onto getting ready for another big one with Andre Ward on June 19 in Oakland whose star is rising faster with each and every fight. Great to see you back and kicking all the doors down Greg.

From boxing talk

If Paul would have been fighting Floyd Mayweather last Saturday, I truly believe the numbers would have been higher, PPV and gate

I don't think so.

The fight may have been more competitive though.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
      If Paul would have been fighting Floyd Mayweather last Saturday, I truly believe the numbers would have been higher, PPV and gate

I don't think so.

The fight may have been more competitive though.
      I could see Paul Williams Size, Reach, and speed giving Mayweather fits.

He took blow away Corrales, but Corrales was slow. Id def get pumped for a Mayweather-Williams fight

Comment

Yea, I don't think the numbers would have been higher...

Many casual fans didn't know much about Mosley, so I know they wouldn't have known who Paul Williams is...

Comment

paul is not a superstar..hasno fanbase and shouldnt be mentioned with floyd,manny..he's good,but their elite

Comment

Dan Goosen has hated on Mayweather for awhile now and predicted Mosley to win.

Comment

A natural 147 pounder? Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Yeah because the ww division is full of 6ft 2in welters.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X