No announcement yet.

can i do weights at 13 will ti stunt growth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i do weights at 13 will ti stunt growth

hey everybody im 13 and have a set of 1.4kg weights at home with me i smashed my 3kg up wanted 2 at the gym i can bicep curl 50kg and leg lift 165kg so im not for the feint of hearty ive not done weight seriously before and i didnt build up to do the above weights so bascially iv neva done weights will it stunt my growth is the main question because i really want to build even more muscle! even tho every1 calls me a beast now so what u guys think im also 5foot 6 n predicted 2 be 6foot 3

be nice people hes 13... i know what ur thinking... dont do it.

Comment

:P say it go on im 14 this month

Comment

Dont touch any weights man. Your too young, what you want to do now is build up the work ethic that will make you a big man in the future (if that is what you want)

Stick to pushups, situps, chin ups, use your own body weight in your exercise.

Do a lot of cardio so you carry that on into the future (something I failed to do, and I cant run for long if my life depended on it).

As much as it is tempting and as much as you wont to, dont try to get big, quinte frankly the only way to get big at that age is to get simply fat. You will never look like RJJ, these man look like that because they spent their whole lives boxing.

Stay away from weights for another good 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukr_Alex View Post
          Dont touch any weights man. Your too young, what you want to do now is build up the work ethic that will make you a big man in the future (if that is what you want)

Stick to pushups, situps, chin ups, use your own body weight in your exercise.

Do a lot of cardio so you carry that on into the future (something I failed to do, and I cant run for long if my life depended on it).

As much as it is tempting and as much as you wont to, dont try to get big, quinte frankly the only way to get big at that age is to get simply fat. You will never look like RJJ, these man look like that because they spent their whole lives boxing.

Stay away from weights for another good 5 years.
          Yeah stay away from weights like Alex said. Especially if you're projected to grow that much more.

In fact, I've been doing bodyweight exercises for just under a year now, and I've become much stronger than I ever was when I did weights.

Stick to bodyweight exercises for now, and when you turn 18, you can make the transition to regular weights if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
            be nice people hes 13... i know what ur thinking... dont do it.
            lol.

Stay away from any heavy lifting until you are at least 16, recommended until you are 18.

If you want to be a boxer which I'll assume you do because this is a boxing forum, getting big bulky muscles isn't what you want. That will just slow you down, make you get tired quicker (muscles need blood/oxygen to function, the bigger muscles you have the harder your heart and lungs have to work to feed them) and force you to fight in a higher weight class. Plus it's just generally not healthy to be trying to add mass while your body is still developing.

While you are young and learning, just focus on good boxing technique and developing speed. When you get older you can start doing exercises to develop power, explosive strength and muscle endurance to make you a better fighter, as opposed to just lifting to get big so you can impress people.
            Last edited by ScottDBA; 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Dude just don't be messin with weights yet, there is a good chance it will stunt your growth and put a strain on your heart.

Comment

Listen to them your lucky,
                I started it when I was 13 now I look like Tyson in height.

Comment

ive been lifting since i was 13, i turned out to be a pretty good height. the main thing to remember if you want to lift weights, is to go real light and do lots of reps. forget about what you read other guys are doing in the bodybuilding magazines etc. Read up on lifting techniques, make sure you are doing the movements correctly and if it hurts or doesnt feel right, stop straight away. but most of all, dont let anybody tell you that you cant be what you want to acheive.

Comment

Originally posted by smash ko View Post
                    hey everybody im 13 and have a set of 1.4kg weights at home with me i smashed my 3kg up wanted 2 at the gym i can bicep curl 50kg and leg lift 165kg so im not for the feint of hearty ive not done weight seriously before and i didnt build up to do the above weights so bascially iv neva done weights will it stunt my growth is the main question because i really want to build even more muscle! even tho every1 calls me a beast now so what u guys think im also 5foot 6 n predicted 2 be 6foot 3
                    Want some sweeties little boy??

You got a purdy mouth....

Comment

Working...
                    X