No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Justifying Amir Khan's 8-Pound, $8,000,000 Gamble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
    Let me explain to you my definition of a mismatch....1st. Khan has never boxed above welterweight 2nd when he has boxed at welterweight he has shown a lack of punch power and also poor form and has simply avoided any fighter that has knock out power 3rd. He will almost certainly be out weighed by 18lb come fight night.4th khan has been knocked out at 135lb and 140lb and has lost to Peterson and has also been dropped by an over hill Diaz ......now if Khan say has won the welterweight title and shown he can compete at the highest level since being a welterweight then I would say ok. Let's see if he can make history....so based on khans current form and even lack of it..and never competing at higher weight then to me that is a mismatch and his form indicates that.....no chance of winning and everybody knows it
    The question is if Khan puts up a great performance and gets stopped in the middle to late rounds would you still categorise it as a mismatch?

Secondly having watched Boxing for 30 plus years there have been plenty of mismatches involving British Fighters on the International stage this is the only time I have seen some British Fans expressing indignation and calling for the authorities to intervene and prevent the fight from happening, why is Khan getting this special treatment?

Here is an example of some of those mismatches.

Tony Sibson Vs Marvin Hagler.

Pat Cowdell Vs Azumah Nelson

Gary Jacobs Vs Pernell Whittaker

Crawford Ashley Vs Michael Nunn

Andy Holligan vs Julio Cesar Chavez

Kevin Lueshing vs Felix Trinidad

Adrian Stone Vs Sugar Shane Mosley

Michael Jennings vs Miguel Cotto

Gary Locket vs Kelly Pavlik

Lee Purdy vs Devon Alexander

Paul Smith vs Andre Ward

Mathew Hatton vs Canelo Alvarez.

Julius Francis Vs Mike Tyson.

So it seems to me this indignation more to do with peoples dislike of Amir Khan and not wanting to see him get a Huge Payday and a big Pay Par View fight in Vegas....And less to do with Khans so called safety.Virtually all of the above were far worse mismatches.
    Last edited by Invictas; 02-04-2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
      What I find difficult to understand is why Khan is taking this fight with little chance of winning when he would have been even money or more fighting Brook for at least double the money in front of 80,000 Wembley fans that he said was his dream, PPV for the main welter strap and the bragging rights to the manor? Khan has always had a problem being called chinny since the 54 second mauling at the hands of Prescott but then got through some terrible moments against Maidana (where a lot of referees would have stopped it) to come out with a points victory.Then came the knockout at the hands of Garcia where many thought it was over.It must have been at best confusing for Amir but then he lied , trying to imply that he had sparred many rounds with his super middle stable mate Andre Ward and taken his best punchers.If Amir is going in to prove he can dig and take here this is going to be a matter of minutes.As i've said from the start many think it's a cop out by Canelo and it simply shouldn't be happening, it is ! everyone's surprised and I'm hopeful this is not the time for Khan to prove how macho he is....again until we get to the bottom of it ,which we may never do .....good luck.
      Bbbbut but but Khan only wants money, but Khan getting more against Canelo didn't you know the dollar is worth 5 times that of what the pound is worth?

Comment

Originally posted by rocktx View Post
        I disagree. He was simply stating the obvious using unrelated analogies to what other UK fighters did in the past. One would hope an article this long would have some kind of revelatory stance
        I agree. I kinda got bored midway and just closed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
          Bbbbut but but Khan only wants money, but Khan getting more against Canelo didn't you know the dollar is worth 5 times that of what the pound is worth?
          You guys need to stop making up imaginary numbers. No way he gets anywhere double the amount of he fought Brooks.
          http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=14626198&type=Story&imagesPrint=off

Read hearns tweet he basically dodge Brooks because he priced himself out. They were only thinking they would make 12-13 million euros together but you guys somehow made that into 16 mil for Khan himself. Yes dudes chasing money not glory.

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
            You guys need to stop making up imaginary numbers. No way he gets anywhere double the amount of he fought Brooks.
            http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=146...magesPrint=off

Read hearns tweet he basically dodge Brooks because he priced himself out. They were only thinking they would make 12-13 million euros together but you guys somehow made that into 16 mil for Khan himself. Yes dudes chasing money not glory.
            No Hearns gave an interview back in November when Khan was negotiating with Pacquaio saying Khan should fight Brook because he would make 10 million, Hearns has also consistently stated that Khan Vs Brook is worth more money then Carl Froch Vs George Groves2

That Means the fight is worth £30 million plus British Pounds ...!

So Khans Lawyer Robert Davies who is very experienced and worked with Lennox Lewis for years called Hearns out on his own figures and asked for appropiate compensation and a guarantee in accordance with the projections which Hearns and Matchroom Promotions provided Which is £10 Million,...!

Eddie Hearns tried to undercut Khan and pay less then the fight is worth.
            Last edited by Invictas; 02-04-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Invictas View Post
              The question is if Khan puts up a great performance and gets stopped in the middle to late rounds would you still categorise it as a mismatch?

Secondly having watched Boxing for 30 plus years there have been plenty of mismatches involving British Fighters on the International stage this is the only time I have seen some British Fans expressing indignation and calling for the authorities to intervene and prevent the fight from happening, why is Khan getting this special treatment?

Paul Smith vs Andre Ward

So it seems to me this indignation more to do with peoples dislike of Amir Khan and not wanting to see him get a Huge Payday and a big Pay Par View fight in Vegas....And less to do with Khans so called safety.Virtually all of the above were far worse mismatches.
              Almost all the fighters you mentioned there had credentials..in fact u mentioning tony sibson shows your lack knowledge.....sibson was the number 1 contender for haglers belt..he was a middlweight who has serious power in his left hook...and you saying makes a ridicoulous comparison...it so happened that this fight we saw hagler put in his career best performance...and if that's a mismatch then so was cavemen lee, Scypion , obelmejias , hamsho 2. Bad example right there...pat cowdell just was caught with a mmassive shot and he was European champion....canelo vs Hatton and at the time canelo was not even world champion and it was for the world title...so tell me how could it be a mismatch when canelo was still a novice and had not proved himself so dominant......like you I have followed boxing for over 30 years and competed on a good level as well....almost every single fight you mentioned it here..they all were either mandatorys or fighters that were the same weight.....even tyson ....he was on the comeback trail and was on his way up again......unlike canelo who is at the top of his game....twin weights above Khan who will weigh almost as light heavyweight facing a fighter that has difficulty taking a clean shot on his chin even at light welterweight....has done absolutely nothing to warrant a middlweight fight...avoided punchers and choose instead Alexander , collazo , algieri and was dropped by Diaz .....this fight is a mismatch....he has no chance of winning....canelo will finish him as soon as he wants ...holligan was european champion...so was Crawford Ashley.......if your gonna speak mismatches then look to gatti vs gamache and we saw what happened there....Ali vs foster ....you really don't know boxing if you think Khan should be inside the ring with canelo and especially with with no rehydration clause...when I watch a boxing I want to see to evenly matched guys facing off....not a fight where iits a formality that one guy is gonna win.....thats a mismatch

Comment

No Hearns gave an interview back in November when Khan was negotiating with Pacquaio saying Khan should fight Brook because he would make 10 million, Hearns has also consistently stated that Khan Vs Brook is worth more money then Carl Froch Vs George Groves2

That Means the fight is worth £30 million plus British Pounds ...!

So Khans Lawyer Robert Davies who is very experienced and worked with Lennox Lewis for years called Hearns out on his own figures and asked for appropiate compensation and a guarantee in accordance with the projections which Hearns and Matchroom Promotions provided Which is £10 Million,...!

Eddie Hearns tried to undercut Khan and pay less then the fight is worth.
                What the hell you talking about 30 million...are you on drugs lol......froch & groves 2 would always be bigger than Khan vs brook....hearns a promoter they inflate prices and numbers lol.....there was a lot of needle with froch and groves and that made the 2nd fight even bigger....sold out Wembley and done well at ppv .....I don't know the exact numbers but I know Khan and brook is less cross over fight than that fight......no fight has ever been worth 30 million in the pot for the fighters....it's might gross that amount but then you got tax...site fees....boxers purses on the under card......staff...security...everything ..ok so let's work it out.....the fight sells 1 million at most at £20..that's 20 million ppv revenue which sky take 50 percent ...80,000 x 100 for Wembley that's 8 million and say international rights say 2 million. ...so it's 10 million for ppv 8 million site fee and 2 millin for international rights. ...that's 20 million in total and that's with all the other expenses still to be taken out lol.....ur I'll informed and naive

Comment

Almost all the fighters you mentioned there had credentials..in fact u mentioning tony sibson shows your lack knowledge.....sibson was the number 1 contender for haglers belt..he was a middlweight who has serious power in his left hook...and you saying makes a ridicoulous comparison...it so happened that this fight we saw hagler put in his career best performance...and if that's a mismatch then so was cavemen lee, Scypion , obelmejias , hamsho 2. Bad example right there...pat cowdell just was caught with a mmassive shot and he was European champion....canelo vs Hatton and at the time canelo was not even world champion and it was for the world title...so tell me how could it be a mismatch when canelo was still a novice and had not proved himself so dominant......like you I have followed boxing for over 30 years and competed on a good level as well....almost every single fight you mentioned it here..they all were either mandatorys or fighters that were the same weight.....even tyson ....he was on the comeback trail and was on his way up again......unlike canelo who is at the top of his game....twin weights above Khan who will weigh almost as light heavyweight facing a fighter that has difficulty taking a clean shot on his chin even at light welterweight....has done absolutely nothing to warrant a middlweight fight...avoided punchers and choose instead Alexander , collazo , algieri and was dropped by Diaz .....this fight is a mismatch....he has no chance of winning....canelo will finish him as soon as he wants ...holligan was european champion...so was Crawford Ashley.......if your gonna speak mismatches then look to gatti vs gamache and we saw what happened there....Ali vs foster ....you really don't know boxing if you think Khan should be inside the ring with canelo and especially with with no rehydration clause...when I watch a boxing I want to see to evenly matched guys facing off....not a fight where iits a formality that one guy is gonna win.....thats a mismatch
                  As for Tony Sibson I would agree he was a warrior highly underrated today
                  and many pundits were actually picking him to win, fight was a mismatch in the end.

The part I bolded applies to most of the rest of the fights I mentioned... then winner was a formality, the likes of adrian Stone against a prime Mosley, Lee Purdy , Julius Francis come on.

In all the above mismatches the argument put across was that this an opportunity of a lifetime and a payday of a lifetime, when its Khan lets prevent him from getting his opportunity and call for the fight to be banned clear double standard.

Khans going to re-hydrate to 165 Canelo to about 175 according to his Coach and his team its not a big deal, they believe Khan will be more resilient at the higher weight so fair play to the Lad.

If anything a fighter dehydrating to a lower weight is far more dangerous, I believe concerns where raised by the British Boxing Boards Medical team following Paul Ingles injury.

If Canelo was dehydrating himself to make welterweight then your concerns would be valid, there would be far greater risk in that scenario.

Crawford Ashley was a European Light Heavyweight was forced to dehydrate to Super middle weight that was far more dangerous.

Chad Dawson vs Andre Ward that was way more dangerous.

Chris Byrd coming down to Light Heavyweight that was sickening.

Enzo Maccarinelli a Career Cruiserweight fighting at Light heavyweigt
                  is an accident waiting to happen.

Oscar De la hoya dehydrating to 145 pounds, that was dangerous.

If Amir Khan jumped down two divisions to fight at Lightweight then I would share your concerns, that would be highly dangerous.

As for Hatton vs Canelo everyone new it was a mismatch, the fight was a foregone conclusion, Hatton having never fought at World level going up to Light middleweight a division he had never fought.

155lbs in only 1 pound over the light middleweight limit, infact Khan
                  is more qualified in taking on Canelo then Hatton was then.
                  Last edited by Invictas; 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Paul Smith vs Andre Ward

Makes no sense whatsoever as Khan could easily have gotten high profile and lucrative fights with Garcia and Brook

Whatever indignation exists is directed at Canelo, who is seen to be dragging the 5th ranked WW up to catchweight and potentially setting up a duck of the best fighter at his supposed weight limit

Comment

What the hell you talking about 30 million...are you on drugs lol......froch & groves 2 would always be bigger than Khan vs brook....hearns a promoter they inflate prices and numbers lol.....there was a lot of needle with froch and groves and that made the 2nd fight even bigger....sold out Wembley and done well at ppv .....I don't know the exact numbers but I know Khan and brook is less cross over fight than that fight......no fight has ever been worth 30 million in the pot for the fighters....it's might gross that amount but then you got tax...site fees....boxers purses on the under card......staff...security...everything ..ok so let's work it out.....the fight sells 1 million at most at £20..that's 20 million ppv revenue which sky take 50 percent ...80,000 x 100 for Wembley that's 8 million and say international rights say 2 million. ...so it's 10 million for ppv 8 million site fee and 2 millin for international rights. ...that's 20 million in total and that's with all the other expenses still to be taken out lol.....ur I'll informed and naive
                      Eddie Hearns has consistently stated that this Fight is way Bigger then Froch Groves 2.

I dont know all I can say is Khan has the highest celebrity profile of all the other three Groves Froch, and Brook and he is consistently making headlines in both the front and back pages of newspapers, and gets more TV appearances. He is known better as a celebrity then as Boxer these days. And a lot of British fans like to see celebrities pulled down a peg or two, so yeah majority of revenue would come from British fans wanting to see Khan lose to a rival British fighter.

So if the fight is not worth that much then Hearns should not make such claims on TV and in Public, then use propaganda that Khan is turning down a massive payday and ducking Brook.

Khan has every right to call him on the figures he has been uttering in Public,
                      Eddie Hearns has been consistently trying to goad Khan to take the fight
                      by Mocking him and ridiculing him in public and on social media, and its backfired massively.

Comment

Working...
                      X